mtbr member

Garmin Heart Rate Monitor - Tip

I've been using my Edge 305 for ~ 2+ years.
    All winter it has taken longer and longer to obtain a signal and display Heart Rate.
    I assumed it was making poor contact because of the lack of sweat and cold air.
    I just replaced the battery 1 week ago and it works like new.
    I get a signal right away.
    So the lessoned learned is that the unit will work (sorta) a long time on a low battery.
    As soon at it takes longer than normal to get a signal..change that battery on the strap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When any battery operated electronic device starts to operate incorrectly, the first thing you always do is replace the battery. 99% of the time that solves the problem.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good tip. I'd follow your tip if I could find my HR strap. My wife might have thrown it away.

mtbr member
    follow up. with the new heart rate strap battery in place on a road ride yesterday, sunny about 60 deg.

on the fast downhill sections (30 mph) the unit was off displaying a heart rate of 220
    (should have been about 100-110)
    I could get it to correct itself by lifting off the chest for 20 seconds.
    It was working fine for 1 hour before this

So temperature/moisture can really affect the sensitivity even with a brand new battery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have still had some problems even after a new battery. Can't seem to figure out the issue. I also get unusual spikes in the same spot when I am on my road bike. Heart rate spikes above 200 and then eventually comes back down.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I stopped using the HR monitor for ALL the reasons above. One day it seems to work fine and the next day it's possesed!!! dunno.........

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Spud State Rider
    When cold/cool outside, I alway splash a little water on the contact pads before putting it on. Never had an issue since doing that.

trail rat
    Conductivity gel will solve most of that. There is a good reason it is used with any EKG machine or defibrillator!

I have two stents. No HRM - NO ride, per my cardiologist.
    I like the Specta Gel. Cheap, effective.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    I'm curious - I have a very similar medical - 90% blockage in the LAD, a single stent. No MI. But I have no activity restrictions. What are your HR restrictions? Did you have an MI before the stents?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by luker
    I'm curious - I have a very similar medical - 90% blockage in the LAD, a single stent. No MI. But I have no activity restrictions. What are your HR restrictions? Did you have an MI before the stents?
    No MI, this snuck up on me. At first my cardiologist said no riding. I got an HRM and rode, but took in graphs and lied, told him I was hiking. After six months I told him the truth. He told me not to go over 160 for more than a minute. That was based on the stress echo cardiogram before the cardiac cath, and then the stress test about three weeks after. He also gave me hell about the graph spikes since I was not using cardio gel, and told me if I was going to bring him data, collect it using proper techniques and equipment.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    I haven't had problems with the 305 that I have been using...I'm switching to the 705 this year to get the dashboard down to one device (works with Powertap, heart rate, gps position...everything I need.) I have it all working with the road bike...now I need some feedback before I get into a mountainbike powertap. Anyone?

I just did a stress echo test and the doctor tells me that I'm healthy. So now if I die on the bike (not a bad way to go, all things considered) it'll be a suprise to me and the doctor, anyway.