C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx v Forerunner 205/305

I had a Forerunner 201 which I used for both running and cycling (had the handlebar mount). I really loved it outside of the fact that the reception didn't seem to be the greatest. Unfortunately it had been stolen and I hadn't had an opportunity to replace it.

Well, lo and behold, I received (as a very generous gift) the GPSMAP 60Cx. Not knowing anything about this particular model, I've been checking into the features and it seems pretty impressive. The issue is, I'm not sure how pertinent these features are to me. I definitely enjoy the pace setting/lap time features of the Forerunner, as well as the size and HRM (which I'm comtemplating trying). But I wonder if I am shooting myself in the foot by getting rid of a unit (GPSMAP) which may have features that I am unaware of, but that I may find really handy.

I'm not too interested in mapping (at this time) but the road map feature for my motorcycle could be very cool.

Basically I MTB, hike, canoe, and motorcycle. I like the GPS to help with my training and monitor my progress. Should I stick with this impressive GPSMAP or check out the newer Forerunners? Ideas?

Thanks!

trail rat
    While the 60 series is a great mapping GPS, it does not have any of the training abilities, HR, laps, pace, etc. That said, I would keep it, since it will be useful for navigation and exploring in all the activities you list. You still need a training GPS, and it sounds like the Forerunner is a good choice, given all you sports.

I use a Edge 305 for training on road and mtb, and a 60CSx for mtb, hiking, and motor vehicle navigation. Great combo, and I will use both on mtb rides that are into unfamiliar trails.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie