mtbr member

Garmin Gpsmap 60

Hello Guys!

I have a question for you, I´ve been thinking about getting a gps device, and I was looking at the model mention in the message tittle, to be honest with you don´t know much of its aplications the thing is that it kinda caught my eye it looks cool,

Now my question is Would I be able to use to mark trails on it and then be able to se´em in google and also be able to trace trails in google and pass´em on to this particular gps?

I would really apreciate your help.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainking_71
    Hello Guys!

I have a question for you, I´ve been thinking about getting a gps device, and I was looking at the model mention in the message tittle, to be honest with you don´t know much of its aplications the thing is that it kinda caught my eye it looks cool,

Now my question is Would I be able to use to mark trails on it and then be able to se´em in google and also be able to trace trails in google and pass´em on to this particular gps?

I would really apreciate your help.

Yes, this GPS can do what you described and more. Make sure you get a RAM mount for it, and not the flimsy Garmin mount. Also look at the Etrex Legend hcx. That's a really good unit too. Almost the same functionality as the GPSMAP 60, but alot smaller and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Cool I`ll take a look at that other one you mention.

Keep in mind, the 60/76 series of GPS is a general outdoor GPS. This would be ideal if you engage in multiple activities where a GPS would be beneficial. However, if you only plan to use it on the bike, it's going to be a bit big and clunky. Compare it to the Edge receivers, the 205/305, and the 605/705. The differences between the two were discussed on this site recently, so if you dig back a little, you'll find it. It's no farther back than the 2nd page, I'm sure. It wasn't that long ago.

mtbr member
    yeah as a matter of fact I`m in the architecture bussines so it it would sure help me out with other situations like measuring pieces of land and stuff.

yeah as a matter of fact I`m in the architecture bussines so it it would sure help me out with other situations like measuring pieces of land and stuff.
    A consumer level GPS is not what you want for this unless you just want a basic idea. If you really want an accurate measurement, you want a survey grade receiver, preferably with a big external antenna (like a Trimble model). You'll want differential corrections (not available for consumer GPS receivers), and the ability to mount the antenna to a tripod for lengthy averaging sessions.

mtbr member
    thanks a lot i´ll keep that in mind

It'll cost a lot. The least expensive would be a Trimble Juno, (basically a PDA with GPS) but they are NOT REMOTELY rugged, are not remotely waterproof, don't have a wrist strap (to prevent dropping), and their antenna compatibility is not the same as the very expensive ones. The Junos have their uses, but they fall somewhere between a survey receiver and a consumer receiver (for the record, my Garmin is more accurate, even without the differential corrections).

mtbr member
    which garmin is the one you have and do you use it for something else besides bikin?

which garmin is the one you have and do you use it for something else besides bikin?
    I have a 76 CSx and I currently use it hiking, paddling, and searching for the occasional geocache. It gets a workout. It's big, though, and I'm thinking of getting an Edge 705 for the bike because the 76 is just so huge even attached to my stem.

mtbr member
    and i imagine that if you atach something big and heavy to the bike there´s a big chance that the mount might breaks and the gps could fall to the ground right?

and i imagine that if you atach something big and heavy to the bike there´s a big chance that the mount might breaks and the gps could fall to the ground right?
    There's a chance. Look for all the posts of Edge mounts breaking. Hasn't happened to me yet. But, at least with my GPS, there's a lanyard I loop around the stem in case the mount fails, the GPS will still be attached to the bike.