mtbr member

Garmin GPS 60 & Nat. Geo. Topo

Any body use this combo? I am looking at getting my first GPS, and think this is the combo I want, but Nat. Geo. TOPO does not say it works together. Any input would be appreciated.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use them. Works fine. Can not use the USB cable though. TOPO requires the serial cable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It will work. I have 60CS and works without any problem. It's not listed also.

Buy Topo Streets and 3-D view expansion pack so that you can use USB instead of serial connection. It's 20 bucks but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by FloppyRN
    ...Buy Topo Streets and 3-D view expansion pack so that you can use USB instead of serial connection. It's 20 bucks but worth it.
    No Mac version. To use the GPS serial cable with the Mac I have to use a Keyspan serial to USB convertor (one of the few that actually works on a Mac).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Ok I got a question for ya

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No Mac version. To use the GPS serial cable with the Mac I have to use a Keyspan serial to USB convertor (one of the few that actually works on a Mac).
    I e-mailed TOPO and asked what the Map feature in the GPSMAP 60 gets me, and they said I can load new maps to the unit, except I can't load them from TOPO? This may be stupid, but what is the point of having a GPSMAP 60 if you can't load TOPO maps to it? Do you have to use their version or what? I would like to make real topo maps of the areas that I ride with the trails marked on them. Is this too much to ask, or am I making this harder then it needs to be? I really don't what to buy the wrong thing and I have never used one before. Help.

I do not use base maps in my GPS. I will up load tracks and waypoints and use a paper map.

Mainly I use my GPS to record routes and down load them to TOPO! to make maps. You do not need a base map in the GPS to do that.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i havent got a handheld gps but i do use delormes lt-20 gps for laptops. it works fairly well. the down side is lugging the laptop along on rides. i am looking into the 60cs as well and it seems like it has every feature you need plus more which no one ellse offers. However I am shying away from it because it doesnt allow for removable media. I get all my info at http://gpsinformation.net/ and is very thurough on product reviews. good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    I e-mailed TOPO and asked what the Map feature in the GPSMAP 60 gets me, and they said I can load new maps to the unit, except I can't load them from TOPO? This may be stupid, but what is the point of having a GPSMAP 60 if you can't load TOPO maps to it? Do you have to use their version or what? I would like to make real topo maps of the areas that I ride with the trails marked on them. Is this too much to ask, or am I making this harder then it needs to be? I really don't what to buy the wrong thing and I have never used one before. Help.
    None of the GPS vendors support uploading maps from 3rd party software.

You'll have to buy mapping software from your GPS vendor just like I did with my Magellan. It's kinda cool, best use is to help pinpoint your location on a paper map.