mtbr member

Garmin Forerunner 405

I'm looking to pickup a GPS/HRM to track my runs and my rides. Has anybody used the Forerunner 405?

What about Garmin Forerunners in general: How accurate is the HRM?

Does the GPS get good reception? I trail run and ride in some thick woods the majority of the time and wonder if it will get a GPS signal.

How does the bike cadence/speed adapter work? I assume it tracks distance and speed when the GPS has no signal as the GPS would do that if it has a signal, well not cadence, but speed and distance. I'm not concerned with cadence.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Disgruntled Peccary
    the HRM is accurate. I've never had a reception issue, but my biggest reception issues are typically canyons.. But I've had no issue in mostly pine and aspen forests. Your assumption about the speed/cadence sensor is correct, and once initially synced it does so automatically. I will say this though, due to the screen and the menu's if I had to do it over again I'd get a 305 or the new 310. While I love the 405 running, it's pretty much marginal riding when mounted on my bars.
    mike

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I had not seen the 310 until you mentioned. The display does look like it would be more biker friendly while the 405 more runner friendly. I am going to check out the 310 and will probably end up going that route as I tend to ride more than run anyway.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?