Ski during the off-season

New question here. Garmin Forerunner 305 - is it worth it?

Through a points rewards program with my work, I can get a Forerunner 305 (the points are a nice perk for all the unpaid OT over the last year). By comparing it with other items in the catalog, it appears to cost about the equivalent of $300 in points--thus, while it will not cost me any cash out of hand, there is an opportunity cost of not getting $300 worth of other items (not much bike gear but good gear for winter time, electronics, etc). None-the-less, I can be a little extravagant since its not real money... ;-)

Having said all of that, is the Forerunner 305 worth it on the trails? I have seen some pretty good reviews of it on Amazon.com but most of the reviews are from runners. It looks like it would be a pretty good training aid. I figure I would spring for the cadence attachment. Additionally, during the winter months, I am a volunteer ski patrol, so I figured I could use it for that purpose as well -- although, I have heard mix results regarding the elevation measurements as it does not have a built in altimeter but depends on the GPS measuring the elevation.

Some of the features I believe I will like are: cadence measurement, automatic lap feature, ability to track current time against previous rides, upload GPS maps of rides, abilty to set custom zones for heart rate monitor (I believe that is what I read - I have not actually read the manual), and s/w is not in beta (unlike some of the newer devices). Those are the things off the top of my head.

On the downside, it appears that this item has been out a while (good & bad) as prices appear to be dropping--this is good from a s/w stability stand point unless they will be discontinuing support for it. The size is a bit bulky but I plan to mount it on the bike rather than wear it as a watch.

Any thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I use one and love it. The reason I went with the FR is because I also trail run and backpack. I don't really use all the map features but more of the fitness features. If it's possible, have a look into the Edge 305 also. GL

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724
    If it's possible, have a look into the Edge 305 also. GL
    I checked and the Edge 305 is not an option--I can get the Edge 205 but it does not have the heart monitor and costs nearly as many points as the FR. Does anyone know how the GPS sensitivity compares between the Edge & FR? Other than the layout, is there much difference? I have read there were pretty good improvements between the FR 301 & 305.