Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx bar mount

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ca_rider 
#1 ·
I just ordered a Vista HCx online. I should get it just in time for my trip to Europe. I looked at the handle bar mounts and it's not clear fro what I have seen which bar mount I need to buy (I run the standard 24.5mm / 1" bars). From the garmin site it's the part number 010-10496-00 (Large Diameter Rail Mount Adapter). Do I need anything else (does it mount on the standard battery door or is there another door for it?)?

Thanks.

#3 ·
The HCx is nice because its battery cover is directly mountable with the included clip.

I have noticed a problem with my HCx mounting, and it's caused my gps to fall off once. Unlike other Garmin models that I've used (12xl, Legend) which are snug when mounted, the HCx has some slop in the mount, so it constantly jiggles. This has caused the clip's setscrew to loosen to the point of separating from the unit. velopax, have you noticed this slop in your mount?

The gap is small, but I've not thought of a good way to shim it yet. Maybe some innertube.

#4 ·
For a 25.4mm bar use the regular mount, it fits up to 25.4mm so it will be a snug fit. The large mount is for 31.8mm max, while it would work on the 25.4mm bar you will need to use the included rubber shim and it won't be tight.

The Vista HCx includes the piece that screws into the battery door. The only other piece you need is the bar mount.

My GPS was a little loose in the mount too, so I used a small piece of the loop side of Velcro, works great.

#6 ·
I also use tape to make the interface between the unit and mount more snug.

Other suggestions from using the same setup on 1" bars:

a. Use threadlock on the screw which secures the mount around the bars. Otherwise the screw tends to vibrate loose, regardless of how tight it is initially (mine fell off after cranking down the single screw pretty tight).

b. Protect the screen. A single piece of clear packing tape over the front of mine works perfectly.

c. Also protect the unit with this case:
http://www.rei.com/product/680585

d. Use the lanyard to retain the unit in case it pops out of the mount.

(my screw came loose, the unit landed in the road, and the screen/unit chipped, leading to a-d)

#7 ·
I'd have to agree with using loctite on both the screw to hold the mount to the bars and the adapter on the GPS. I've had both come loose (at different times).

I, too, have had to use a shim to keep the GPS from bobbling around on the mount. A folded over piece of paper is what I've used.

I also wrap the lanyard around the unit/mount interface. Just make sure that all the wraps are above the thumb button to help keep it pushed down and engaged.

#11 ·
I have both the earlier Vista Cx and now the Vista HCx. They are not a snug fit in the bar holder and do tend to "rattle".

I've had mine on some rugged 50 mile cross country rides and have yet to have it unclip. I have however always looped the unit through the lanyard and around the bars, then wrapped the lanyard to shorten it out of harms way. This is just in case.

If I'm out mapping a trail, or using the GPS as a means to get home if lost, my normal method is to put it in the camelback while tracking. Do this with the screen dimmed saving battery life. Then if needed take it out and mount it to the bars.

Even in the camelback I tie the lanyard to a strap for safety against loss of the unit.

PK

#12 ·
bingobong said:
Does this mean you use loctite every time you change the batteries? On my HCX unit the little adaptor on the battery case blocks the screw to remove the battery case (bloody annoying) so I have to unscrew the adaptor as well every time I want to change batteries.
The loctite is useful to secure the handlebar mount to the bars. The handlebar mount is secured by a single machine screw which tends to rattle loose when subjected to vibration. The GPS unit is disjoint from the handlebar mount, and I have never had a problem with it loosening. When fastened, the rubber seal around the battery compartment undergoes a slight compression which acts akin to a lockwasher to prevent the back from vibrational loosening. I just spent several days downhilling with the unit on the bars and had no problems whatsoever, aside from dead batteries. If anything, I feel Garmin did a good job with the mechanical design of the Etrex Vista.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.