mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Garmin Etrex HCX HELP !!!!

Hey guys I am just learning how to use the GPS. I am downloading tracks off of Bikerag.com and it will not let me save more than 20 tracks to the GPS. So i went out and bought a Micro SD card and cannot figure out how to save the tracks to that and view them on the gps unit. I would really like to put alot of these on the GPS unit so that i have them on there for riding ..... any help please

mtbr member
    if you right click (assuming you're using Mapsource) TRACKS->PROPERTIES

first NAME entry should be ACTIVE LOG 001, to be properly downloaded to GPS, sequence ACTIVE LOG 002, ACTIVE LOG 003,etc

mtbr member
    The etrex hcx's only hold 20 tracks in memory at a time. The micro card won't help. That is for maps, and, if you set it up it will write your track file as you are moving as a gpx file onto the card, but the gps can't "read" that back at all, you have to transfer it to a computer and then back to the gps if you want it to display.

As somewhat of a work around on the 20 track limit, you could try combining a few tracks that are geographically close together (if you have any) using a program such as topofusion. Your other limiting fator here is that a track has a 500 pt limit, so if you try to combine too much you will lose some detail.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ok guys thanks for the help. That does suck that you cant use the micro card to store more usable maps on it...

mtbr member
    Just to be clear, you can store maps on the micro card, and the gps can read those, that is what it is for, primarily. But track files, even ones the gps creates and stores there cannot be accessed by the gps.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

you can use a program called gpx2img to convert your tracks into transparent basemaps that can be layered with topo or street maps, which will allow you to see the trails without getting in the way of the 20 track limit.

your other option is just not to try to load 20 tracks on the GPS at once. you can't honestly need that many even if you ride daily for 2 weeks.