Ahhh the pain....

Garmin ETREX 30 Question

Just picked up an Etrex 30 for some bikepacking...wondering if there is an easy way to turn on proximity alarms for waypoints in the gpx file before uploading to the unit. I can do it one-by-one on the unit, but it's really painful. I saw in mapsource where you can add them but for some reason, they don't come over to the unit.
    Also, can the etrex 30 give you some audible when you are off course like the edge units?
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Just picked up an Etrex 30 for some bikepacking...wondering if there is an easy way to turn on proximity alarms for waypoints in the gpx file before uploading to the unit. I can do it one-by-one on the unit, but it's really painful. I saw in mapsource where you can add them but for some reason, they don't come over to the unit.
    Also, can the etrex 30 give you some audible when you are off course like the edge units?
    GPX is a universal file format for representing GPS data, while a "proximity alert" is a model-specific user convenience feature. I don't think the GPX format would include representation of something like proximity alerts, because it's not really "GPS data"; it's merely a current setting of the device at hand. Since the GPX file format is not the equipment's own proprietary file format, you shouldn't expect it to behave like a "configuration dump" of that particular device, in case that's what you're imagining.

You can find information on the GPX file format here, and in fact see the full XML schema (if you'll know your way around that kind of thing) here and will notice that it contains no mention of something like proximity alerts.

One thing you can do to convince yourself is to define a waypoint on your device and set a proximity alert on it, then export this into a GPX file. Then open the file in a text editor and see if you can find any mention in it to something related to that proximity alert. If you don't find it, since the device couldn't be loading anything back from a GPX file that it wouldn't save in that file in the first place, then you'll know that defining these alerts in the GPX file is not possible.

If you do find something in there, then you'll get to see how that's defined in the file (which XML tags; formatted how) and you can then use that information to replicate that setting via copy/paste to other waypoints in the actual GPX file you're interested in using.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.