Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Garmin eTrex 30 a good choice?

72K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  mtang2 
#1 ·
I have been doing some research on getting a GPS for my bike and initially wanted an Edge 500/800 but appears the new eTrex 30 might be a good choice.

Here are some things I need to be able to do with whatever unit I get:

1. Accurate mileage along with a trip odometer for races with cue sheets (trans iowa and the like). Would this be good for this type of thing or would I be better off with a normal cycle computer like a Cateye?

2. Long battery life and easy to replace batteries in field. 25 hours of AA batteries looks awesome.

3. Easy to switch between 3 bikes. What mounts should I use for one of these?

4. Upload to Garmin Connect. This is compatible.

5. MOST importantly, be able to upload a route like CTR or Trans North Georgia to follow for the race.

Thoughts?

#37 ·
reviving this thread with a question...

anyone know whether the etrex 30 will display/record Ant+ power data? I have quarq and would like to use the etrex 30 (instead of my edge 500) for longer races requiring navigation. Going off course sucks!

What power related data fields are available for display?

Thanks all!

#39 ·
Garmin Edge 800 vs. eTrex 30 for Alpine trail riding?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

I am planning a transalp mountain bike crossing next year and I want to buy a GPS unit to assist in guiding me across the Alps. I've narrowed my search down to either a Garmin Edge 800 or an eTrex 30 and I can't make up my mind. The thing that I care the most about is being able to load a route onto the device and later being able to follow that route.

For some issues it is clear which device is better for my intended use. Please see below. However, for some things, it is not clear. It seems like it would be easier to read maps and routes on the Edge 800 because it has a bigger screen. Is that correct? Also, the idea of a touch screen is initially appealing - like an iPhone, right? But in some postings it seems that people don't favor it over the traditional buttons. One other thing is that I have no information about the ability to mount either device on my handlebars. Price is not a determining factor.

Screen Size: Winner, Edge 800
Weight: Winner, Edge 800
Overall size: Winner, Edge 800 because smaller is better
Battery life: Winner, eTrex 30 (25 hrs. vs. 15 hrs. for Edge 800)
Batteries: Edge 800 has rechargeable vs. single use for eTrex 30
Built in memory: Winner, eTrex 30 (1.7 GB vs. Edge 800 with zero)
Durability: Winner, probably eTrex 30 based on looks alone
GPS reception quality: A draw based on the listing of "High-sensitivity receiver" on Garmin's website. Maybe there is something I'm missing?

So, if anyone would care to offer up their opinion it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

#40 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

I am planning a transalp mountain bike crossing next year and I want to buy a GPS unit to assist in guiding me across the Alps. I've narrowed my search down to either a Garmin Edge 800 or an eTrex 30 and I can't make up my mind. The thing that I care the most about is being able to load a route onto the device and later being able to follow that route.

For some issues it is clear which device is better for my intended use. Please see below. However, for some things, it is not clear. It seems like it would be easier to read maps and routes on the Edge 800 because it has a bigger screen. Is that correct? Also, the idea of a touch screen is initially appealing - like an iPhone, right? But in some postings it seems that people don't favor it over the traditional buttons. One other thing is that I have no information about the ability to mount either device on my handlebars. Price is not a determining factor.

Screen Size: Winner, Edge 800
Weight: Winner, Edge 800
Overall size: Winner, Edge 800 because smaller is better
Battery life: Winner, eTrex 30 (25 hrs. vs. 15 hrs. for Edge 800)
Batteries: Edge 800 has rechargeable vs. single use for eTrex 30
Built in memory: Winner, eTrex 30 (1.7 GB vs. Edge 800 with zero)
Durability: Winner, probably eTrex 30 based on looks alone
GPS reception quality: A draw based on the listing of "High-sensitivity receiver" on Garmin's website. Maybe there is something I'm missing?

So, if anyone would care to offer up their opinion it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
You're missing some details. The eTrex line is compatible with the Russian GLONASS satellite system while the Edge 800 is not. The Russian system is a hair less accurate than GPS from what I understand, but signal acquisition is quicker. The eTrexes can lock onto GPS and GLONASS satellites at the same time for advantages of both systems.

The touch screen of the Edge 800 is not like the iphone. All of Garmin's touchscreens are resistive touchscreens whereas most cell phones nowadays use capacitive ones. With thin gloves, you can still operate the GPS touchscreen. Bulky gloves starts making things difficult because there's no tactile feedback. I do tend to prefer the touch interface on the GPS over the joystick interface of the etrex. the touch interface requires fewer inputs to do just about any task.

A bigger screen is not always the advantage it appears to be. While a larger screen does show you more of the map (especially if the screen has a higher pixel density and it can show that map in better quality), more screen real estate means a shorter battery life. The two go hand in hand. If your desire for longer battery life conflicts with your desire for a bigger screen, you have to decide which to sacrifice for the other.

Both devices will mount on your stem or handlebars. The mounts are different. The Edge line uses a quarter turn lock method while all of the handhelds use a rail system where you slide the handheld in the mount to lock it down. I am a huge fan of the rail system on the handhelds. I've been using it for a couple years on my Oregon. The mount itself is long and takes up a bit of space, but it's super secure. On the Oregon, the rail on the back of the GPS is metal. So if there's an impact, the plastic mount will be the most likely failure point. On the Edges, they're both plastic.

If you go with a rechargeable battery on your long trip you have to figure out a way to charge it. If you use replaceable batteries, you are a little more flexible. I prefer rechargeables (Sanyo eneloops or other low self discharge types), but I can carry a couple of spare sets for the weight of some charging system for an Edge. If you already have a dynohub, you could use it, but I wouldn't build up a wheel with a dynohub just for a GPS charger.

also consider some of the other differences. You'll be using this thing to navigate on a long trip. do you think a HRM or speed/cad sensor is more useful to that end, or the ability to load more waypoints? The Edge 800 can only hold 200, IIRC. More memory means more maps. you'd have to get an additional memory card in order to put any maps on the Edge 800. While the addition of a memory card will give you plenty of space, 1.7GB (on the etrex) is plenty of space. I make use of an Oregon 450 with nothing but the onboard memory and I load topos from many states as well as satellite imagery on a regular basis. Not once have I had insufficient space and I have only 850MB to work with. If I ever ran out of space, I'd likely pony up and buy the card. But I've been fine so I've had no need.

#45 ·
Thanks Hawk! I was writing my response when you sent in yours so didn't see that about not needing special gloves.. Makes sense, only seen that for iPhone users who mount those on their bike. I'm going to mount my etrex soon but will see how it fits best with my setup. Good feedback. :thumbsup:

#46 ·
resistive touchscreens have other issues with gloves. the bulkier the gloves, the harder it can be to touch in exactly the spot you want. so ski gloves don't work so well on them. liner and most bike gloves tend to be okay unless your fingers are super fat. the sizes of the buttons on Garmin's touchscreens are bigger to take this into account. but my fingers are long and skinny, not fat, so I can't say how well it'd work for folks with big fingers + gloves.

#47 ·
Eric,
Any GPS is good, but it doesn't replace the plastic coated map & compass nor the skill that go with them, and this is where many go wrong. They think they are the same as a road sat-nave which will guide you turn by turn. They don't, and even if you're plotting your own routes they can be out by quite a bit on accuracy.
Ive had several from Garmin and others and they all work if you know how to use them however they tend to eat batteries and not work just when you could really do with it.

Ive been to the Alps a few times and now I leave the GPS wrapped up warm at the bottom of the back out of the cold and away from damage. I also carry 2 sets of spare batteries just in case. I rely on the map and my eyes as they are more reliable and accurate.

I do use the Garmin 500 on road trips and some MTB routes to record the route not direct it.

#48 ·
I've been using the eTrex 30 on the bike for a couple of months, along with two different forerunner models. I've been pleased with it so far.

Pros:
Seems well constructed
Battery life is very, very good on NiMH rechargeables
Quick satellite lock
Lots of features
Ability to load on screen maps
Stem mount has been rock solid and does not protrude as much as a bar mounted setup

Cons:
A bit bulky and heavy (when using NiMH), compared to cycling specific options
Menus are not the most intuitive
Difficult to operate the joystick while riding. Specifically, the "straight down" push that is equivalent to the left click on a mouse button.

To me, the cons are pretty minor quibbles. Overall, I've been very satisfied with the unit and would highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for a GPS for hiking as well.

-D

#49 ·
Just got my eTrex 30 last week. Forgot to get a bike mount at the same time (just came in this afternoon) so I have been using it primarily as a ride tracker, clipped to the top of my pack.

Very cool little piece of hardware. Already loaded it with some custom maps I converted from .pdf files, although I'll have to see how effective they are, out on the trail.(GIMP was a washout, not having upgraded to MountainLion. GraphicConverter worked well enough. I'll have to throw them a little $$.)

Mostly having fun learning the features by playing around with it. I do have two questions for those w/ more experience:

1) I reset the trip odometer before I start a ride. If I reset it at the end of the ride will I lose all my downloadable data such as waypoints, speed, altitude etc? I have just been shutting it off at the
end of the ride. I just don't like getting extraneous tracks such as cruising around the parking lot and the car ride home. Maybe it's just the way it is with this unit, and I have to edit it out in BaseCamp.
Get a lot of little nothing tracks from my home just turning it on.

2) I bought the GSG-10 speed/cadence sensor. I don't think it's paired with the GPS (kinda difficult until I get the mount set-up). Will it pair automatically? Or is there a submenu for that. Also, What about tire size calibration? Have not found any info on how it's done or if it's necessary.

I'm amazed with the technology and features packed into this little GPS. I think the bicycle specific Edge series are probably more turnkey when it comes to accessing/handling riding data as compared to the eTrex series. But for me, the flexibility and potential of the 30 was hard to resist!

#50 ·
Mostly having fun learning the features by playing around with it. I do have two questions for those w/ more experience:

1) I reset the trip odometer before I start a ride. If I reset it at the end of the ride will I lose all my downloadable data such as waypoints, speed, altitude etc? I have just been shutting it off at the
end of the ride. I just don't like getting extraneous tracks such as cruising around the parking lot and the car ride home. Maybe it's just the way it is with this unit, and I have to edit it out in BaseCamp.
Get a lot of little nothing tracks from my home just turning it on.
I can only speak to your first question.. When you finish your ride go to 'Track Manager' then click on 'Current Track' and then hit 'Save Track.' You can now rename it or just leave it as the default which is the date and time I think. I just do a quick rename here so when I link it to BaseCamp I know to chose that one. Your longer track will have way more info as well (than the little tracks from turning it on and off) so its not hard to figure out which track you want to keep. I always delete the erroneous tracks right away in BaseCamp so they don't build up on my device. When you are in BaseCamp you can just drag your track/route you just did to 'My Collection' and delete it from your device if you want since it is now saved in BaseCamp. When I start a new ride/hike I go to 'Track Manager' then 'Current Track' and then 'View Map' and just leave it there until I am done and ready to do what I explained above. This is of course when I don't have a route planned. Hope that helps..

#58 ·
I am stuck waiting on Rei to deliver mine on Tuesday so I will see how it goes. I order 2 bike mounts with it so I can outfit both my rides. I got the deal they had going with a map and birds eye bungles for $20 less than the unit itself. I really hope it will work like I am anticipating. I know my wife will use it when she goes on walks as she is always curious as to how far she walked.

#61 ·
Ok I got my etrex 30 and was messing around with it and somehow got some pink line on the map. I am trying to get it to show my current location and remove this dam line. I tried resetting but doesn't do it.

Never mind I figured it out. I am going to drive home with this unit running and see what the distance and elevation is for my trek to work.

#66 ·
I had an Etrex 30 and it seemed like the obvious choice for me since I also do a lot of backpacking. A few months ago it broke off the handlebar mount in a crash and I couldn't find it. At Sea Otter they pretty much told me the intersection of mountain bikers and backpackers is such a small market for them and they know they have a monopoly so they couldn't care less about about making a mount for a hiking device that would form a sturdy attachment to a handlebar.

Not sure what I want to do now since I'll be doing some trips over the summer that are pretty much gps mandatory.

#70 ·
Nate,

One quick question, I downloaded a map from Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap (could it be any easier?),
my question is:

Should I disable all other maps (basemaps, custom maps) and use just one map, or is it ok to have all maps enabled?
I currently only have one map enabled but wish to know if the sky will fall and the earth open up and swallow us all if I have all my maps enabled.

Im using an Etrex 30

#72 ·
Thanks Macho,

To be a little clearer, and as an example of what I will encounter;
I live in Switzerland and cross into Italy/France/Germany frequently. I noticed the maps I downloaded would overlap each other if I have them all enabled, and I was wondering if that will cause an issue.

#74 ·
I would disable the maps you're not using. Having a ton of maps displaying, especially if they overlap, can slow down the device. The sky will not fall, but it will speed up loading times.

There is a detail setting in most mapping gps receivers that allows you to adjust how much detail is visible on the maps. I'm not sure if it will clear out some of the clutter of ATM's and stuff specifically, but it will open up the map.
Garmin Tips, Hints, Explanations, or Whatnot
This link roughly describes what to look for. It references much older GPS receivers and the menus on your will be a bit different, but the concept is the same. Find a menu option for map display or map options or something like that to see what your choices are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.