Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Garmin eTrex 30 a good choice?

72K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  mtang2 
#1 ·
I have been doing some research on getting a GPS for my bike and initially wanted an Edge 500/800 but appears the new eTrex 30 might be a good choice.

Here are some things I need to be able to do with whatever unit I get:

1. Accurate mileage along with a trip odometer for races with cue sheets (trans iowa and the like). Would this be good for this type of thing or would I be better off with a normal cycle computer like a Cateye?

2. Long battery life and easy to replace batteries in field. 25 hours of AA batteries looks awesome.

3. Easy to switch between 3 bikes. What mounts should I use for one of these?

4. Upload to Garmin Connect. This is compatible.

5. MOST importantly, be able to upload a route like CTR or Trans North Georgia to follow for the race.

Thoughts?

#76 ·
Hey, a quick tip on the Etrex 30 regarding pairing with speed/cadence sensors; it seems as if with the latest firmware updates that the Etrex 30 "locks" onto a particular speed/cadence sensor and won't forget it, even if you ask the unit to "rescan" in the settings. Case in point: I'm currently using my Etrex 30 with my bikes, one which has a Bontrager DuoTrap, and the other which has a Garmin GSC 10. If I connect to the GSC 10 with my Etrex 30, it seems to want to stay with the GSC 10 no matter what and won't pair with the DuoTrap, even if I take out the batteries on both units to reset them. The only way to seem to get the Etrex 30 to "release" the GSC 10 is to do a hard reset back to factory settings, then pair it with the DuoTrap. Same applies vice-versa. I don't know if this universally holds true, but that's been my observation over the last month. Anyone have any comments?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.