Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ^^^ Very Helpful,Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodie6 View Post
    This is a useful thread. I've been looking at the etrex models as well, and I've had a few questions that this thread has cleared up. I do not need a gps for heart rate and all the extra stuff for training; I mostly want one to record my tracks and to upload routes by other riders. I do have a couple additional questions, however.

1. How does the etrex 30 work within the car (i.e., street navigation)? I do quite a bit of road tripping during the summer months, and I need something that will get me to the trailhead or the campground.

2. I'm interested in the same features as the OP. Is there any reason why the etrex 30 is a better choice than the etrex 20? Is the basemap on the etrex 30 sufficient?

Thanks!
    Bodie, the etrex 30 will also monitor heart rates as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can you upload to garmin connect with the etrex 30?

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have always used an etrex vista HCX for biking and i loved it. I just up graded to the etrex 30 and the bike mount is nothing to be excited about. However I did have to modify the mount for the vista also. So I will see what I come up with for the 30.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I really like my 30. Just don't forget to reset your odometer and clear the track log at the beginning of a ride and save your track at the end.

I eat cats
    You can delete points you don't want if you forget to reset it when you are in BaseCamp. But it's easier to start a new track like you said. I love my 30, I don't have it mounted.. Just keep it in my bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am stuck waiting on Rei to deliver mine on Tuesday so I will see how it goes. I order 2 bike mounts with it so I can outfit both my rides. I got the deal they had going with a map and birds eye bungles for $20 less than the unit itself. I really hope it will work like I am anticipating. I know my wife will use it when she goes on walks as she is always curious as to how far she walked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    You can delete points you don't want if you forget to reset it when you are in BaseCamp. But it's easier to start a new track like you said. I love my 30, I don't have it mounted.. Just keep it in my bag.
    What is base camp, is it like garmin connect?

What is base camp, is it like garmin connect?
    No, you use it to load maps. I actually prefer Mapsource for that. Basecamp lets you purchase satellite imagery from Garmin which Mapsource cannot do, but Mapsource is easier to use with a wider variety of 3 party maps sources. I use Topofusion for imagery and after buying the program, I can load all the imagery the GPS can handle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok I got my etrex 30 and was messing around with it and somehow got some pink line on the map. I am trying to get it to show my current location and remove this dam line. I tried resetting but doesn't do it.

Never mind I figured it out. I am going to drive home with this unit running and see what the distance and elevation is for my trek to work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is there any better walk throughs than the ones that come with base camp. I am just a little confused about some things I was experiencing last night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Yes
    I'm having trouble doing that... I bought a used Etrex 30 tonight and have been messing with it, Garmin's website referred me to Garmin BaseCamp for my device. I'm gonna mess around with loading imagery from the sites listed previously though

*edit Nevermind, found it... I just logged on haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The etrex 30 manual leaves out a lot of things that you can do with this device. Can anyone suggest some place where I can get learn more about how to use this thing? thanks, matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mforness3000 View Post
    The etrex 30 manual leaves out a lot of things that you can do with this device. Can anyone suggest some place where I can get learn more about how to use this thing? thanks, matt
    Etrex 20 / 30 tips
    Garmin eTrex 30
    under "Videos for the Garmin eTrex 30"
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had an Etrex 30 and it seemed like the obvious choice for me since I also do a lot of backpacking. A few months ago it broke off the handlebar mount in a crash and I couldn't find it. At Sea Otter they pretty much told me the intersection of mountain bikers and backpackers is such a small market for them and they know they have a monopoly so they couldn't care less about about making a mount for a hiking device that would form a sturdy attachment to a handlebar.

Not sure what I want to do now since I'll be doing some trips over the summer that are pretty much gps mandatory.

mtbr member
    This works fine for me:

But maybe you need this.

Always use a lanyard to attach the unit to the handlebars, just in case...
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    Always use a lanyard to attach the unit to the handlebars, just in case...
    I think this is the key. The more expensive your device, the more important it is to have some redundancy in your mounting methods.

passed out in your garden
    Great info in this thread from you Nate, good work and thanks.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Nate,

One quick question, I downloaded a map from Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap (could it be any easier?),
    my question is:

Should I disable all other maps (basemaps, custom maps) and use just one map, or is it ok to have all maps enabled?
    I currently only have one map enabled but wish to know if the sky will fall and the earth open up and swallow us all if I have all my maps enabled.

Im using an Etrex 30
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i would disable the other maps and use only the OSM. OSM maps are many many many many times more accurate than Garmin maps (even Topo) for trails and off roads as it's supported and maintained by real users.

Thanks Macho,

To be a little clearer, and as an example of what I will encounter;
    I live in Switzerland and cross into Italy/France/Germany frequently. I noticed the maps I downloaded would overlap each other if I have them all enabled, and I was wondering if that will cause an issue.
    1993 Colnago Elegant

and one more question, these free maps are so detailed its incredible, is there a way to turn things off, for example ATMs, museums etc
    1993 Colnago Elegant

I would disable the maps you're not using. Having a ton of maps displaying, especially if they overlap, can slow down the device. The sky will not fall, but it will speed up loading times.

There is a detail setting in most mapping gps receivers that allows you to adjust how much detail is visible on the maps. I'm not sure if it will clear out some of the clutter of ATM's and stuff specifically, but it will open up the map.
    Garmin Tips, Hints, Explanations, or Whatnot
    This link roughly describes what to look for. It references much older GPS receivers and the menus on your will be a bit different, but the concept is the same. Find a menu option for map display or map options or something like that to see what your choices are.

Sorry, l forgot to come back and edit the post, but l found the detail setting.

Thanks heaps for the help Nate (and others).
    Last edited by cmg71; 06-23-2014 at 01:41 AM.
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast