Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    One thing just to be aware of with most of the Garmin units especially the Etrex models
    I had an Etrex Summit which cost a pretty penny when it first came out but as a keen climber and mountineer it was ideal as it showed all the data I needed.
    After 18 months the unit wouldnt lock onto satalite.
    Despite hard & soft resets, software updates and being left in a clear open space owered for 3 days it still wouldnt lock on.
    It turned out they use a soldered lithium battery inside to store the satalite & date info. The batteries are prone to stopping working and when this happens you have to return the unit. Cost to replace the battery was quoted as £150 at the time and there is only one place this could be done in the uk.
    The battery retails for about £3 but cabt be done without fine soldering skills.
    I havent figured if the newer Edge units have the same issues yet!

Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    One thing just to be aware of with most of the Garmin units especially the Etrex models
    I had an Etrex Summit which cost a pretty penny when it first came out but as a keen climber and mountineer it was ideal as it showed all the data I needed.
    After 18 months the unit wouldnt lock onto satalite.
    Despite hard & soft resets, software updates and being left in a clear open space owered for 3 days it still wouldnt lock on.
    It turned out they use a soldered lithium battery inside to store the satalite & date info. The batteries are prone to stopping working and when this happens you have to return the unit. Cost to replace the battery was quoted as £150 at the time and there is only one place this could be done in the uk.
    The battery retails for about £3 but cabt be done without fine soldering skills.
    I havent figured if the newer Edge units have the same issues yet!
    I can't say that I've seen that enough me to call them "prone" to failing. I am on my 3rd Garmin handheld (not counting the Edge I've owned) and haven't run into that once. I've also used many etrexes over the years, some of them quite old and never run into that problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    To the fella with the stem mounting issue:

It looks like it is positive rise currently. Raise it 10mm and flip it negative, that will buy you some real estate. Mount does seem annoying compared to the Edge models...oh well. Can't have it all.

Rednose/Greenback
    @Johnny K "It looks like it is positive rise currently. Raise it 10mm and flip it negative, that will buy you some real estate."
    Thanks for that suggestion, though I'm going a different route. The current bars (Truvtiv T30 risers) are getting replaced with a Salsa Bend 2 bar, something I had wanted originally. With less rise, I will install them with the spacers back underneath. Improving GPS mounting was not my intended purpose for swapping bars, though I expect options to improve as a result.

@mattsavage "Does anyone know if the Etrex 30 has auto pause/start when paired with the speed/cadence sensor?"
    I don't think so though because the feature would be in the GPS unit - not the sensor, although I could be wrong. While test driving an Edge500, that start/stop was easily accessible via a dedicated button on the right hand side. While I'm still learning the eTrex30 in depth, I have yet to see that feature. It is a different OS interface that the Edge 500 as well, which might explain things.
    The speed/cadence sensor (GSC-10) was not going to install on my Fat Back without major issues and risk of damage while riding. So I returned it and the Edge 500. Details are on this thread but that is part of why I moved to the eTrex 30.

@Bodie6 "I won't be mounting it on my bike until April, but I will take it out when I go xc skiing (living in the snowbelt kinda sucks)."
    Glad to be of help and hope the eTrex 20 serves you well. But living in the snow-belt might actually be a good thing. Check out the Fat Bike forum- seriously. You'll be surprised with how many folks are having a blast snow biking. Of course being in Northern Va, I'm not one of them...at least not yet.
    But I'm ready
    38į 54' -77į 15

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Does anyone know if the Etrex 30 has auto pause/start when paired with the speed/cadence sensor?
    Being that this will be similar to other handhelds, I highly doubt it. My Oregon 450 does not have that feature.

mtbr member
    GPSCity.com has that mount in stock usually, I got one for my eTrex 20 and it works great. Sorry I'mi under 10 posts so I can't post a link, gpscity.com is usually very reasonable on mount and carry lots of heavy duty RAM mounts as well.

roog

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi there. I have read some posts about the eTrex 30, about if it is compatible with the speed/cadence sensor, and I do not know if the eTrex 30 reads the speed sensor. I read that is compatible with the cadence sensor... not the speed sensor? Or am I missing something.?
    Thanks
    jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
    mickmutante

Quote Originally Posted by mickmutante View Post
    Hi there. I have read some posts about the eTrex 30, about if it is compatible with the speed/cadence sensor, and I do not know if the eTrex 30 reads the speed sensor. I read that is compatible with the cadence sensor... not the speed sensor? Or am I missing something.?
    Thanks
    The GSC 10 has both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    The GSC 10 has both.
    Ok, so if buy the eTrex 30 and the GSC 10, it will take speed and cadence data as the Edge 500 and 800.?
    Does the GSC 10 improve the distance and speed with the eTrex 30 as it does with the Edge series?
    Thanks.

p.d. This is the first time that i am going to buy and have a GPS, sorry about the newb questions.
    mickmutante

Quote Originally Posted by mickmutante View Post
    Ok, so if buy the eTrex 30 and the GSC 10, it will take speed and cadence data as the Edge 500 and 800.?
    Does the GSC 10 improve the distance and speed with the eTrex 30 as it does with the Edge series?
    Thanks.

p.d. This is the first time that i am going to buy and have a GPS, sorry about the newb questions.
    probably not exactly like the Edge series. search this forum for using the Oregon 450 with that sensor. there was some discussion here quite some time back with folks who had experience using the two together and some of the differences between them and the Edge. it mostly had to do with data downloads and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the info.!
    mickmutante

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    reviving this thread with a question...

anyone know whether the etrex 30 will display/record Ant+ power data? I have quarq and would like to use the etrex 30 (instead of my edge 500) for longer races requiring navigation. Going off course sucks!

What power related data fields are available for display?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    reviving this thread with a question...

anyone know whether the etrex 30 will display/record Ant+ power data? I have quarq and would like to use the etrex 30 (instead of my edge 500) for longer races requiring navigation. Going off course sucks!

What power related data fields are available for display?

Thanks all!
    Negative on power

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Garmin Edge 800 vs. eTrex 30 for Alpine trail riding?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

I am planning a transalp mountain bike crossing next year and I want to buy a GPS unit to assist in guiding me across the Alps. Iíve narrowed my search down to either a Garmin Edge 800 or an eTrex 30 and I canít make up my mind. The thing that I care the most about is being able to load a route onto the device and later being able to follow that route.

For some issues it is clear which device is better for my intended use. Please see below. However, for some things, it is not clear. It seems like it would be easier to read maps and routes on the Edge 800 because it has a bigger screen. Is that correct? Also, the idea of a touch screen is initially appealing Ė like an iPhone, right? But in some postings it seems that people donít favor it over the traditional buttons. One other thing is that I have no information about the ability to mount either device on my handlebars. Price is not a determining factor.

Screen Size: Winner, Edge 800
    Weight: Winner, Edge 800
    Overall size: Winner, Edge 800 because smaller is better
    Battery life: Winner, eTrex 30 (25 hrs. vs. 15 hrs. for Edge 800)
    Batteries: Edge 800 has rechargeable vs. single use for eTrex 30
    Built in memory: Winner, eTrex 30 (1.7 GB vs. Edge 800 with zero)
    Durability: Winner, probably eTrex 30 based on looks alone
    GPS reception quality: A draw based on the listing of ďHigh-sensitivity receiverĒ on Garminís website. Maybe there is something Iím missing?

So, if anyone would care to offer up their opinion it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ereber View Post
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

I am planning a transalp mountain bike crossing next year and I want to buy a GPS unit to assist in guiding me across the Alps. Iíve narrowed my search down to either a Garmin Edge 800 or an eTrex 30 and I canít make up my mind. The thing that I care the most about is being able to load a route onto the device and later being able to follow that route.

For some issues it is clear which device is better for my intended use. Please see below. However, for some things, it is not clear. It seems like it would be easier to read maps and routes on the Edge 800 because it has a bigger screen. Is that correct? Also, the idea of a touch screen is initially appealing Ė like an iPhone, right? But in some postings it seems that people donít favor it over the traditional buttons. One other thing is that I have no information about the ability to mount either device on my handlebars. Price is not a determining factor.

GPS reception quality: A draw based on the listing of ďHigh-sensitivity receiverĒ on Garminís website. Maybe there is something Iím missing?

So, if anyone would care to offer up their opinion it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric
    You're missing some details. The eTrex line is compatible with the Russian GLONASS satellite system while the Edge 800 is not. The Russian system is a hair less accurate than GPS from what I understand, but signal acquisition is quicker. The eTrexes can lock onto GPS and GLONASS satellites at the same time for advantages of both systems.

The touch screen of the Edge 800 is not like the iphone. All of Garmin's touchscreens are resistive touchscreens whereas most cell phones nowadays use capacitive ones. With thin gloves, you can still operate the GPS touchscreen. Bulky gloves starts making things difficult because there's no tactile feedback. I do tend to prefer the touch interface on the GPS over the joystick interface of the etrex. the touch interface requires fewer inputs to do just about any task.

A bigger screen is not always the advantage it appears to be. While a larger screen does show you more of the map (especially if the screen has a higher pixel density and it can show that map in better quality), more screen real estate means a shorter battery life. The two go hand in hand. If your desire for longer battery life conflicts with your desire for a bigger screen, you have to decide which to sacrifice for the other.

Both devices will mount on your stem or handlebars. The mounts are different. The Edge line uses a quarter turn lock method while all of the handhelds use a rail system where you slide the handheld in the mount to lock it down. I am a huge fan of the rail system on the handhelds. I've been using it for a couple years on my Oregon. The mount itself is long and takes up a bit of space, but it's super secure. On the Oregon, the rail on the back of the GPS is metal. So if there's an impact, the plastic mount will be the most likely failure point. On the Edges, they're both plastic.

If you go with a rechargeable battery on your long trip you have to figure out a way to charge it. If you use replaceable batteries, you are a little more flexible. I prefer rechargeables (Sanyo eneloops or other low self discharge types), but I can carry a couple of spare sets for the weight of some charging system for an Edge. If you already have a dynohub, you could use it, but I wouldn't build up a wheel with a dynohub just for a GPS charger.

also consider some of the other differences. You'll be using this thing to navigate on a long trip. do you think a HRM or speed/cad sensor is more useful to that end, or the ability to load more waypoints? The Edge 800 can only hold 200, IIRC. More memory means more maps. you'd have to get an additional memory card in order to put any maps on the Edge 800. While the addition of a memory card will give you plenty of space, 1.7GB (on the etrex) is plenty of space. I make use of an Oregon 450 with nothing but the onboard memory and I load topos from many states as well as satellite imagery on a regular basis. Not once have I had insufficient space and I have only 850MB to work with. If I ever ran out of space, I'd likely pony up and buy the card. But I've been fine so I've had no need.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by ereber View Post
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Hi and welcome.. I am new here as well. I can't really comment on the Edge but I do have the etrex 30 and love it so far. I actually got it for hiking/climbing but just got a new bike and plan on mounting it after seeing this thread. For now I just carry it in my pack. FWIW I personally like the size and durability of the etrex which is why I got it to begin with. If the Edge is smaller and lighter that's a plus; I'm just saying I've been happy so far. I was recently deep in the sierras hiking and per-loaded routes on my etrex and it worked flawlessly (I splurged for the garmin maps and like them). I don't mind the button over touchscreen and kind of think touchscreen with dirt etc could get scratched. Plus don't you have to get special gloves to use touchscreen devices if you don't want to have to take a glove off to use it? You can definitely mount the etrex as seen earlier in this thread. Sorry and can't give a this versus that opinion but thought I'd share my experience so far with the etrex 30. Oh, and as far as reading the screen... No issues for me on that front either. It's super easy to change the brightness and the battery life is insane!

Can others on here post up to date good/bad experiences with their etrex mounted on their bars? I want to know if it's worth it or if I should just continue keeping it in my pack.. It would also help Eric on his decision. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks a ton, NateHawk!

I feel like I have a clearer picture of the decision, now, thanks to your input.

Cheers,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, OCtrailMonkey, with your feedback and that from NateHawk I'm now leaning toward the eTrex30.
    Cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Hi and welcome.. I am new here as well. I can't really comment on the Edge but I do have the etrex 30 and love it so far. I actually got it for hiking/climbing but just got a new bike and plan on mounting it after seeing this thread. For now I just carry it in my pack. FWIW I personally like the size and durability of the etrex which is why I got it to begin with. If the Edge is smaller and lighter that's a plus; I'm just saying I've been happy so far. I was recently deep in the sierras hiking and per-loaded routes on my etrex and it worked flawlessly (I splurged for the garmin maps and like them). I don't mind the button over touchscreen and kind of think touchscreen with dirt etc could get scratched. Plus don't you have to get special gloves to use touchscreen devices if you don't want to have to take a glove off to use it? You can definitely mount the etrex as seen earlier in this thread. Sorry and can't give a this versus that opinion but thought I'd share my experience so far with the etrex 30. Oh, and as far as reading the screen... No issues for me on that front either. It's super easy to change the brightness and the battery life is insane!

Can others on here post up to date good/bad experiences with their etrex mounted on their bars? I want to know if it's worth it or if I should just continue keeping it in my pack.. It would also help Eric on his decision. Thanks!
    as I said before, the Garmin touchscreens use a resistive touchscreen, not a capacitive one like most smartphones. the "special" gloves make no difference. pressure is what makes the screen work.

I have not had any problems with my screen getting scratched from dust/dirt. and I don't even use a screen protector. On my Oregon 450, the screen is slightly recessed into the face of the device, rather than flush with the top. that has prevented impacts from scratching the screen.

mounting concerns: try the stem mount for the etrex. but IME, if your stem is shorter than about 90mm or has a steeper angle than about 6 degrees, the mount will not fit on the stem. You will be limited to the handlebars (or the top tube). I mount my Oregon on the stem on my mtb and it fits well there. It has been ejected once or twice in crashes, but has otherwise been fine.

I eat cats
    Thanks Hawk! I was writing my response when you sent in yours so didn't see that about not needing special gloves.. Makes sense, only seen that for iPhone users who mount those on their bike. I'm going to mount my etrex soon but will see how it fits best with my setup. Good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Thanks Hawk! I was writing my response when you sent in yours so didn't see that about not needing special gloves.. Makes sense, only seen that for iPhone users who mount those on their bike. I'm going to mount my etrex soon but will see how it fits best with my setup. Good feedback.
    resistive touchscreens have other issues with gloves. the bulkier the gloves, the harder it can be to touch in exactly the spot you want. so ski gloves don't work so well on them. liner and most bike gloves tend to be okay unless your fingers are super fat. the sizes of the buttons on Garmin's touchscreens are bigger to take this into account. but my fingers are long and skinny, not fat, so I can't say how well it'd work for folks with big fingers + gloves.

mtbr member
    Eric,
    Any GPS is good, but it doesn't replace the plastic coated map & compass nor the skill that go with them, and this is where many go wrong. They think they are the same as a road sat-nave which will guide you turn by turn. They don't, and even if you're plotting your own routes they can be out by quite a bit on accuracy.
    Ive had several from Garmin and others and they all work if you know how to use them however they tend to eat batteries and not work just when you could really do with it.

Ive been to the Alps a few times and now I leave the GPS wrapped up warm at the bottom of the back out of the cold and away from damage. I also carry 2 sets of spare batteries just in case. I rely on the map and my eyes as they are more reliable and accurate.

I do use the Garmin 500 on road trips and some MTB routes to record the route not direct it.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

More Torque
    I've been using the eTrex 30 on the bike for a couple of months, along with two different forerunner models. I've been pleased with it so far.

Pros:
    Seems well constructed
    Battery life is very, very good on NiMH rechargeables
    Quick satellite lock
    Lots of features
    Ability to load on screen maps
    Stem mount has been rock solid and does not protrude as much as a bar mounted setup

Cons:
    A bit bulky and heavy (when using NiMH), compared to cycling specific options
    Menus are not the most intuitive
    Difficult to operate the joystick while riding. Specifically, the "straight down" push that is equivalent to the left click on a mouse button.

To me, the cons are pretty minor quibbles. Overall, I've been very satisfied with the unit and would highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for a GPS for hiking as well.

-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just got my eTrex 30 last week. Forgot to get a bike mount at the same time (just came in this afternoon) so I have been using it primarily as a ride tracker, clipped to the top of my pack.

Very cool little piece of hardware. Already loaded it with some custom maps I converted from .pdf files, although I'll have to see how effective they are, out on the trail.(GIMP was a washout, not having upgraded to MountainLion. GraphicConverter worked well enough. I'll have to throw them a little $$.)

Mostly having fun learning the features by playing around with it. I do have two questions for those w/ more experience:

1) I reset the trip odometer before I start a ride. If I reset it at the end of the ride will I lose all my downloadable data such as waypoints, speed, altitude etc? I have just been shutting it off at the
    end of the ride. I just don't like getting extraneous tracks such as cruising around the parking lot and the car ride home. Maybe it's just the way it is with this unit, and I have to edit it out in BaseCamp.
    Get a lot of little nothing tracks from my home just turning it on.

2) I bought the GSG-10 speed/cadence sensor. I don't think it's paired with the GPS (kinda difficult until I get the mount set-up). Will it pair automatically? Or is there a submenu for that. Also, What about tire size calibration? Have not found any info on how it's done or if it's necessary.

I'm amazed with the technology and features packed into this little GPS. I think the bicycle specific Edge series are probably more turnkey when it comes to accessing/handling riding data as compared to the eTrex series. But for me, the flexibility and potential of the 30 was hard to resist!

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
    Mostly having fun learning the features by playing around with it. I do have two questions for those w/ more experience:

1) I reset the trip odometer before I start a ride. If I reset it at the end of the ride will I lose all my downloadable data such as waypoints, speed, altitude etc? I have just been shutting it off at the
    end of the ride. I just don't like getting extraneous tracks such as cruising around the parking lot and the car ride home. Maybe it's just the way it is with this unit, and I have to edit it out in BaseCamp.
    Get a lot of little nothing tracks from my home just turning it on.
    I can only speak to your first question.. When you finish your ride go to 'Track Manager' then click on 'Current Track' and then hit 'Save Track.' You can now rename it or just leave it as the default which is the date and time I think. I just do a quick rename here so when I link it to BaseCamp I know to chose that one. Your longer track will have way more info as well (than the little tracks from turning it on and off) so its not hard to figure out which track you want to keep. I always delete the erroneous tracks right away in BaseCamp so they don't build up on my device. When you are in BaseCamp you can just drag your track/route you just did to 'My Collection' and delete it from your device if you want since it is now saved in BaseCamp. When I start a new ride/hike I go to 'Track Manager' then 'Current Track' and then 'View Map' and just leave it there until I am done and ready to do what I explained above. This is of course when I don't have a route planned. Hope that helps..
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast