mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Garmin Edge Sensitivity?

Considering purchasing one of these units, most likely the 705.

How good are these under tree cover? I've had other GPS units that lose a signal at the slightest hint of tree cover. Expensive 705 wouldn't be much good for mountain biking where I live if it can't hold a signal. What's your experience? Good or not?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I own both. They are both very good. I've only lost signals inside tunnels or under bridges - tree cover has never presented a problem.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Never had a problem with my 705 grabing a signal. Sometimes I put it in my pocket and its still able to track the route just fine.

Curtis

mtbr member
    The edge's have a real good antenna. I have used the edge 205 and 305 for a few years now and it works good. On occasion I loose signal in the woods when there is a overcast but it still records most of the ride. Majority of the time it has next to no trouble. I would say for me it is 99.9% accurate on the road and 95% or better on the trail.
    uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    I have used mine in deep down in the camelbak and it still works pretty damn good.
    uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my experience

In the Pacific NW and EDGE looses the signal if:
    it's springtime and all the trees are leafing out heavily (lots of water) and you are in a valley,
    Heavy fog - really, happened many times.
    Drizzle rain

It works fine in rain or cloudy weather.

sometimes will have a problem initially synching in at Trail head (under trees in canyon). can get it to synch quicker if I lay it on the hood or roof of my car and give the antenna a big metal background.
    my $.02
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    In the Pacific NW and EDGE looses the signal if:
    it's springtime and all the trees are leafing out heavily (lots of water) and you are in a valley,
    Heavy fog - really, happened many times.
    Drizzle rain

It works fine in rain or cloudy weather.

sometimes will have a problem initially synching in at Trail head (under trees in canyon). can get it to synch quicker if I lay it on the hood or roof of my car and give the antenna a big metal background.
    my $.02
    For the record, this is pretty standard for almost all GPS receivers. Modern receivers have better antennae and better chipsets for processing signals than older ones, so it takes increasingly severe cases to create signal problems every time chipsets see improvements. The PNW is probably one of the most severe environments for a GPS that you'll find.

The biggest things that impact GPS signal reception are terrain (if you're on the N side of a mtn, it'll be harder to get a signal because the satellites are mostly in the southern sky), canopy (all those leaves scatter the signal from the satellites, making it harder for the GPS to process), tall buildings (again, signal scatter from sat signal bouncing off of skyscrapers), and to some extent, weather. Clouds and rain can also scatter a signal, though to a lesser degree than some of the other factors. But if you combine weather with one or more of the others, you've got a problem. In the PNW, you can get terrain, canopy, AND weather all at once, and you can see why red-haze sometimes has trouble. Then you get satellite geometry trouble sometimes (this can be predicted by certain software - Trimble Planning, free) and atmospheric distortions. With all the things that can impact the satellite signal, it's amazing these things are as reliable as they are.