mtbr member

Garmin Edge mount broke AGAIN!!!

I have been running an edge for a while now. Shortly after I bought my 1st edge the release tab on the mount broke off. So I had to buy a new one to replace it. Since then between my wife and I, we have a mount on 6 different bikes. One of her mounts broke the other day so I took one off one of my bikes that I don’t ride much. Then I went for a ride yesterday and when I got home another one of mine broke. Now I need to get 2 more of these “over priced” pieces of plastic junk!

Anyone know of a better option to mount them other than the garmin mount?

Who else is having problems with these things breaking every time you look at them?
    ˇuʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ˇˇˇpəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I broke off my release tab too. It does not (at least on mine) affect the retention of the unit or me being able to slide it off. I just have to use a fingernail now to get at enough of the plastic to press.

mtbr member
    Mine have been breaking beyond the little lip that locks the Edge on the mount. So it slides on but there is nothing there to lock it into place I think I am going to throw a rubberband around it to hold it in place. Thats a hell of a lot cheaper than another piece of Garmin black gold
    ˇuʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ˇˇˇpəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I snapped two mount release tabs in a matter of four weeks, aggravating to say the least but entirely my fault. One tab caught on my vest and the other snapped when I couldn't remember if you slide the unit off to the left or right on a really cold day. Now I just go real slow putting on and taking off the unit and it's made a world of difference.
    Garmin has come out with a thicker tab but thank goodness I haven't had to buy it yet.

My .02 cents anyway!

New Edge Mount

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have mounts on two different bikes. One of my mounts broke beyond the little tab that holds the GPS into place. Instead of buying a new tab, I just use a small strip of paper between the GPS and the mount.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

JKA
    mtbr member
    Garmin did a slight redesign recently. The tab is a bit more stout and the zip tie mount is a bit better. GeoMan has em...geomangear.com They're still pricy, but hopefully better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Gosh, I thought it was just me after replacing two.. so now I just use a bit of blue tac, this keeps it securely in place (even off road and downhill) yet it still allows me to remove it (if only I would remember). I refuse to buy anymore connection pads as I believe Garmin have a fundamental fault here that needs addressing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb
    I have been running an edge for a while now. Shortly after I bought my 1st edge the release tab on the mount broke off. So I had to buy a new one to replace it. Since then between my wife and I, we have a mount on 6 different bikes. One of her mounts broke the other day so I took one off one of my bikes that I don’t ride much. Then I went for a ride yesterday and when I got home another one of mine broke. Now I need to get 2 more of these “over priced” pieces of plastic junk!

Anyone know of a better option to mount them other than the garmin mount?

Who else is having problems with these things breaking every time you look at them?
    Of the two mounts that came with my 705, the one of them has been flawless, and the other was crap. The crap one wouldn't release when I pull the tab down, which lead to the end of the tap snapping of. Luckily far enough out that a fingernail takes care of it. That mount also cracked in half the first time I mounted it on a stem that was a bit ovalized rather than round. It didn't like the extra curvature.

Anyway, I super glued it back together, and then ditched the zip tie idea in favor of a home made quick release strap. I glued a velcro strap to the bottom of the mount with a rubber shim to the bottom of the strap so it doesn't slip on the stem. Works really well, and doesn't slip at all even riding on technical trails on a full rigid bike.

Doesn't solve the underlying issue, but kept me from having to by a bunch of mounts for every bike in the stable, and since I only have to release the velcro strap, I don't actually need to remove the mount from the device if I don't want to.