DFL>DNF>DNS

Garmin Edge 820: Waypoints on a track??

I recently upgraded my Edge 705 to the 820. It's amazing how different these models are, a bit of a learning curve after using the 705 for 5+ years!!

I'm using the latest release of Topofusion when loading .gpx & waypoint files.

Here's what I'm seeing, or not seeing. On the 705 I typically drag/drop a .crs file into the Courses folder & then use Topofusion's GPS dialog window to transfer the waypoint file over. As long as I'm diligent about keep my stored waypoints to less than 100, they display on the track as I follow along. Everything is good.

On the 820 I've been using the Topofusion GPS dialog to transfer the .gpx track over to the New Files directory, then again use the dialog to transfer the corresponding waypoint file. So far, the track displays as it should, but the waypoints don't display on the map. I can see the waypoints in the saved locations sub-menu and if I select one, it'll take me to it on the map. That isn't real helpful when riding. I want to see all the waypoints overlaid on track as I go. Any thoughts as to why this isn't happening or how do I enable this function?

Unrelated question: I downloaded some topo maps from GPSFiledepot and loaded them onto the 820 and enabled them. I also have the default Garmin basemaps enabled and the worldcycle basemap (??) enabled. Can you have multiple basemaps enabled covering the same region? If all these maps contain Arizona, which map am I actually seeing? Order of precedence? If I only want to see the Arizona topo from GPSFiledepot, should that be the only one enabled?

Thanks for any & all guidance!!
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

since 4/10/2009
    I'm not sure if there's a setting to enable overlaying waypoints from a separate file onto the map at the same time as a course.

One thing I do know is that the new system (which Topofusion sadly doesn't really support) allows you to put those points directly into the course files now (.tcx course files). I use the RideWithGPS web interface to build courses for my Edge 520. Basically they're "cue points" and the GPS will pop up a notification when you approach them.

Onto your other question, you can have multiple basemaps enabled at the same time, but display depends on how they're set up. The one at the top of the list layers on top, and so on. HOWEVER, if your top layer is "transparent" then the layer underneath will ALSO display. So for example, I load 2 layers from gpsfiledepot into my 520. I have to set this up in Mapsource/Basecamp for the 520, whose map loading process is a bit wonky since it wasn't really built to do this, but I use the MyTrails layer on top of the topo layer. MyTrails is transparent, so the topo displays underneath it.

Really, the only advantage of having other layers enabled when you have topos displayed is if you ALSO want to be able to have the device autoroute on roads. Otherwise, you might as well disable the other maps because they'll slow drawing times as the map pans.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks Harold. Answers my questions. For this ride, CTR, the waypoints were more just mental checkpoints. The main thing is to have the track displayed, which it is.

I'll just disable the other maps and go with the topos I'm familiar with.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth