Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Garmin Edge 705 replacement?

Anyone have any idea when a replacement model will be available? Or even if, there's going to be a replacement model any time soon? Recently read a post on MTBR that suggested that a new model would be out soon. Bogus?

I was all set to buy the current model until I read that post. I might still but instead look for one used or refurbished.

Thanks in advance.

That post was pure speculation. There will probably be a new model sometime or another, but Garmin just released the Edge 500, which has its own unique set of features. I wouldn't hold your breath too much. Edge 705 availability is a bit tight at the moment, but I did find one at a reputable shop recently. I've seen lower prices when more were available, but I guess that's my fault for waiting to buy until now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the response.

I guess I'll be buying a new/used Garmin Edge 705 shortly then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New Garmin Edge products

Due to be released in the next month or so..

Edge 705 Topo
    Edge 605 City Navigator

To be released by the end of the year:
    Edge 500

Current Edge 705 Deluxe Bundle on sale here:
    http://www.rei.com/product/766260

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cwmtb1

Edge 705 Topo
    Edge 605 City Navigator

Edge 500

Thanks for the response.

And thanks for the link.

After reading some of the reviews at the link I'm having 2nd thoughts about the current 705. The last thing I want is an expensive paperweight. I guess I'll have to do additional research for alternatives & also wait for the new 705 to see if it's fixed any of the deficiencies of the current 705. No wonder there seem to be so many refurbished units available! Oh well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes
    Thanks for the response.

And thanks for the link.

After reading some of the reviews at the link I'm having 2nd thoughts about the current 705. The last thing I want is an expensive paperweight. I guess I'll have to do additional research for alternatives & also wait for the new 705 to see if it's fixed any of the deficiencies of the current 705. No wonder there seem to be so many refurbished units available! Oh well ...
    Don't expect there to be a 'new' 705. That is just a new bundle being offered. I just ordered a 705 HR+Cad, and I don't have any second guesses. I can't wait for it to arrive next week. I'll be using gpsfiledepot.com topos on it for basemaps. I'll be using it on the trainer for a few months, but I'll enjoy playing with some of the features. I'll be able to report on it, but from what I'm aware of, firmware updates have addressed a majority of any issues folks have had.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Don't expect there to be a 'new' 705. That is just a new bundle being offered. ... from what I'm aware of, firmware updates have addressed a majority of any issues folks have had.
    Oh, ok.

Well then, I'll have to talk myself into buying it again but I'll definitely go the refurbished route just in case.

Thanks.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by cwmtb1

Edge 705 Topo
    Edge 605 City Navigator

Edge 500

These are nothing new, just a re-packaging of existing products with map products, except the 500 discussed here.

These threads crack me up. The 305 has been speculated to be replaced for about three years now, and it is still in production and still the same. The 6/705 series added mapping and ANT+ connectivity, the new 500 adds ANT+ connectivity and its uber light weight and aerodynamic design ( ) are aimed at the road / triathelete market.

As soon as the 305 is truly replaced, I will begin looking for a 705 replacement. Seems Garmin wants to expand its product line to fill every niche before it upgrades/replaces existing products.

There are other new Garmin GPSs that have not gotten much attention here at all, like the new mapping touch screen Dakota, it even has a bike mount kit.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Seems like raster maps are the next big feature. I imagine Garmin's working on a way to implement those, since Magellan and Delorme can both do it nowadays. MOAGU works, but Garmin's not making money off of it . But, Garmin's probably going to have to develop multiple receivers across product lines for the feature...then they'll have to offer some kind of software product to support the feature.

I've noticed that while some other companies seem quicker to introduce some tech to the market, Garmin seems to wait and at least try to improve on it. Think expandable memory, 3-axis compass. Seems the first to bring new tech to the market gets plagued by bugs and issues (Touch screens, bike-specific GPS). I'm not a new adopter for this reason specifically. I prefer to wait for the issues to get ironed out.

mtbr member
    I absolutely love my 705. Use it on road bike with Powertap and ANT+ works great. Mapping is awesome to find new rides (espcially on a trip, etc) and not have to constantly stop and review the map in your pocket. Can find your way back if you get lost. I have not had any problems what so ever. I highly recommend it. Cool thing too is that it uses GPS for speed if you don't have a speed sensor hooked up. I have nothing on my mountain bike other than the mount for the 705.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Garmin Dakota for cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus

There are other new Garmin GPSs that have not gotten much attention here at all, like the new mapping touch screen Dakota, it even has a bike mount kit.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone using a Dakota for cycling.

It is odd, Garmin offers a "Dakota 10 Hike and Bike Bundle" which includes a bike handlebar mount. And yet this very model isn't compatible with the bike-specific accessories like the heart monitor strap and speed/cadence sensor?

The higher-end Dakota 20 IS listed as compatible with the bike add-ons (but isn't offered in the "Bike and Hike bundle")

You can use most any GPS on a bike. The question is how big are you willing to tolerate on your handlebars, or are you going to put it in your pack instead? I did my time with a big handheld GPS on the bars...and it got on my nerves. Part of the reason I bought an Edge.

So if you want the higher end model, buy it and the accessories you want. When I bought my Edge 705, I saw 'bike bundles' that included mapping software. Well I have all the software already so the bundle didn't make sense for me...and I didn't buy it.

mtbr member
    Not quite the Dakota - but spec-wise very similar: I just got some Lowrance Endura Sierra units. It is both touch screen and "big" button based. I have not really taken it out on a ride (tonight I will though) but it seems to have some promise to it. The menus are pretty easy to get around and do stuff, the touch screen just makes things easy and nice. And, if they actually shipped the high res topo accuterra basemaps on the units like they appeared to promise I might be a little more excited for them.

The other thing they did is to accept different gps data formats natively. I can plug in the gps to my pc and copy gpx files right onto it. You power up the gps and it reads and imports them. No proprietary software, no proprietary data formats. I liked that.

But I would say to not drop the cash for the Sierra until they get their basemap promises sorted. The Safari or Out and Back might still be worth a look though.

Otherwise, to touch upon NateHawk and raster basemaps - I have a Triton 500 and having raster 24k topo maps as my basemap is the greatest thing ever for following a track through the woods. Any vector basemaps I have seen thusfar just don't do the trick (though I am waiting to see these accuterra maps). Of course the tritons have all sorts of other issues, but honestly, the raster basemaps make them almost worth it?

Bah. I am done rambling.
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Cloud
    Otherwise, to touch upon NateHawk and raster basemaps - I have a Triton 500 and having raster 24k topo maps as my basemap is the greatest thing ever for following a track through the woods. Any vector basemaps I have seen thusfar just don't do the trick (though I am waiting to see these accuterra maps). Of course the tritons have all sorts of other issues, but honestly, the raster basemaps make them almost worth it?

Bah. I am done rambling.
    IMO, raster basemaps are not that important to me. The massive TDS receiver I use in my thesis research can use high-res aerials and all sorts of other raster stuff...and I don't find it THAT much nicer than a good quality vector map. About the only thing I like is seeing where treelines are in the aerials...but I don't find that so useful on the bike (but a high quality vector map can have forest or clearing polygon features to easily illustrate treelines). Sometimes it's nice having an illustration of one of my trap locations adjacent to an abandoned house or something, but that's rare. I use raster data FAR more often in data analysis.

The nice, high res rasters are also great for making wall-size maps of the trail system to distribute to bike shops. I have one at home that's 3ft wide. Great map.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jchristopher
    I would be very interested in hearing from anyone using a Dakota for cycling.

It is odd, Garmin offers a "Dakota 10 Hike and Bike Bundle" which includes a bike handlebar mount. And yet this very model isn't compatible with the bike-specific accessories like the heart monitor strap and speed/cadence sensor?

The higher-end Dakota 20 IS listed as compatible with the bike add-ons (but isn't offered in the "Bike and Hike bundle")
    Garmin has done this for some time, the Edge 205 does not have cadence or heart rate capability, the Edge 305 does; Edge 605 no cadence or HR, the
    Edge 705 can accept accessories to enable both.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've been thinking about buying a Garmin Edge 705 for a cycle trip through France this summer, but have been holding off to see if a new model comes out first. As far as I'm concerned the earlier I get it the better as I keep on getting lost on training rides.

But wiggle.co.uk (a site I use a lot, and its full price is the cheapest on line) have a sale and reduced it by 60. The sale ends in 2 hours.

Any thoughts on a - if a new version is likely soon, or b - what time of year Gamin like to release such products? (i.e. just before / after the summer season)???

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Levy
    I've been thinking about buying a Garmin Edge 705 for a cycle trip through France this summer, but have been holding off to see if a new model comes out first. As far as I'm concerned the earlier I get it the better as I keep on getting lost on training rides.

But wiggle.co.uk (a site I use a lot, and its full price is the cheapest on line) have a sale and reduced it by 60. The sale ends in 2 hours.

Any thoughts on a - if a new version is likely soon, or b - what time of year Gamin like to release such products? (i.e. just before / after the summer season)???

Much appreciated
    Not likely, I usually remember seeing new models early in the year, but who knows? I don't track such things consciously.

If you want one, buy it. If you wait too long, there will eventually be a replacement for it...and then a replacement for that one, and so on. Garmin released a new cycle GPS already this year, the Edge 500. They're unlikely to release another one soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank's that is positive.

Think I'm just finding it hard to part with the cash...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I dont know why you guys who are watching the 605s/705s dont just buy one. In the two years Ive had my 605, it has been AWESOME.

Traveling to a new city and you're bringing your bike? You can look at all the rides people have uploaded and recommended and find one that works for you. Zip it into your GPS and go riding in a place where you've never been and not get lost. Its one of those things where if you are going to take advantage of what it offers, you cant imagine not having one again.

Theres a ton to be said for not having to worry about where the next turn is, did I miss it, is it up ahead, etc... You can worry about riding and not second guess your directions. It also helps get you out for a change of scenery.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker
    I dont know why you guys who are watching the 605s/705s dont just buy one. In the two years Ive had my 605, it has been AWESOME.

Traveling to a new city and you're bringing your bike? You can look at all the rides people have uploaded and recommended and find one that works for you. Zip it into your GPS and go riding in a place where you've never been and not get lost. Its one of those things where if you are going to take advantage of what it offers, you cant imagine not having one again.

Theres a ton to be said for not having to worry about where the next turn is, did I miss it, is it up ahead, etc... You can worry about riding and not second guess your directions. It also helps get you out for a change of scenery.
    ^^ totally agreed! Just to explore new trails it was worth it, and I'm not even talking remote, even on known trail networks I explore more.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member

Sea Otter?

has Garmin intro'd stuff at Sea Otter in the past at all?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sea Otter? Is that likely?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Levy
    Sea Otter? Is that likely?
    No. I doubt bike units are a very big part of Garmin's market. They seem to be trying to come up with little variations in every possible niche they can find, and see where they can actually make money.

If you look at the product introductions, a new bike device comes around every couple years, and I suspect that the Edge 500 is it for now. There will probably be a bunch more small touch screen handhelds and tons more car units in the next couple years; don't try to hold your breath looking for something to replace the 705.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Ologist
    It looks like the Dakota 20 can fill that niche too for a while. Larger screen, better chip, HRM compatible, and can be used off the bike too.

I have been contemplating the 705 but also anticipating something to come out shortly after the purchase. I do have a Vista hcx which really doesn't need to be replaced but I would like something a little bike friendly (e.g., slimmer, big screen, and easier controls). I have read a little about the Dakota but there still aren't many field reports.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That Dakota 20 looks like it would be the logical replacement for the 705. Seems to have a lot of pluses and nothing missing. Priced better too? There must be something I am missing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast