Old School

Garmin Edge 705 Questions

Sorry -- maybe a dumb question (or two)

I'm waiting for the arrival of the 705 so I haven't had a chance to actually play with it yet.

Does the unit have to be mounted on the bike, or can I hold it and get a satellite "fix" then stick it in my jersey pocket?

Can the 705 be used for tracking while running and/or hiking -- or are they set up specifically for cycling?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    I have put my 705 in my Camelback, as well as a back jersey pocket, when mountain biking. As long as metal is not blocking it, it generally can be put in a pocket. The 705 can be used for running or hiking if you choose to use it that way.

I have found the 705 to be fragile. It will likely be damaged in a crash. And if you drop it will likely scuff. But, you are not suppose to do those things in general :-)

My other ride is your mom
    I can confirm the above...it works fine in a pack or pocket as long as it only has some fabric between it and the sky. It works surprisingly well in a vertical position too....such as in a chest pocket with a limited view of the sky....tracks and records just fine.

As for the damage issues....I can't comment. I've had mine for 14 months or so and it's been through some bad wrecks...all the time it was pretty protected on my bar mount close to the stem....I use riser bars....so this perhaps helps with the protection rather than a no-rise bar where the unit would be the salient feature.

Old School
    Thanks guys...

trail rat
    You can carry it in a pocket or pack. Keep in mind that the high gain flat panel antenna developed for the Edge series is optimized for best reception when laying flat. (I hang out at GroundSpeak way to much. ) So when it is on its side or upside down, it will not be as accurate. Choose your mounting method based on the accuracy of the data you want to collect.

My 705 shows me accuracy of 8-12 feet. I have placed it in my jersey pocket and ridden around the neighborhood as an experiment, and it should me at best 21 feet, at worst 39 foot accuracy. Then I retraced the same route with it mounted on the stem, and got 9-12 foot accuracy. Out on rides at elevation, when I look, it almost always shows 8-10 feet (I keep Accuracy and HR on the map screen most of the time).

edit: added this shot showing hour accurate it can be. You can see that I am to the side of the road, with standard two lane road. Forty foot accuracy can place me on the opposite lane or out in a field.

Last edited by slocaus; 08-26-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Works great for skiing too. I just toss in in a pocket in my jacket or in my backpack and usually it doesn't have any drop-outs. Too bad the Edge doesn't have a native ability to be put into Run / Bike / Hike / Ski / Drive mode. You have to remember to recategorize your data in Training Center or in Garmin Connect otherwise you'll be impressing everyone with that 70mph bike ride (and the 30,000 feet of climbing in 1 day.)

It is a good idea to put it into keylock mode by holding the menu key for 5 seconds if you're going to have it in a pocket.

mtbr member
    I use mine as a HRM during (cough, erm) spin classes, mounted in an iPod armstrap thing I inherited somewhere. Slip it over the bars, bump the backlight up a bit and record the session as a 'lap'. Been really handy to chart my fitness progression, actually, and makes me work harder for longer.

Also took it for a few laps of a racing car track (more to see what my hr was doing). Wasn't real accurate, which I guess makes sense as I was in a sedan-style car. Might work better in an open-top... but I guess that's not within the operational parameters that Garmin set down for the 705...
    Cheers,

Robbo

Eat my shorts, build a bridge and get over it - Devil

Old School
    Alright! I took possession of the 705 recently

Lots to learn -- but pretty awesome so far. Couple of things I've noticed (not necessarily about the Garmin though )

1) This forum needs a moderator!

2) Lot's of helpful people on this forum. It would be great if there were some stickies at the top of the forum with most of the basic covered (for the noobs like me).

3) Would be great if one of the proposed stickies covered the various storage / sharing / data manipulation sites.

So far, I have links and/or accounts to:

Garmin Connect
    Map My Ride
    MTBGuru
    EveryTrail
    GPS Visualizer

I'm not sure how to best utilize the various sites -- still working on that aspect. On that end, are there other sites that I should look at to include to my list (or maybe point me in the direction of a previous thread)??

Thanks for all the great input you guys have put into this forum.

I have some ideas floating around in my head to address GPS software and sharing websites. As you can imagine, that topic is insanely complicated and unfortunately, everchanging. As soon as I post a list with links, there might be a new site, or an old one will become inactive (think Motionbased). Add that to the fact that I think it's nearly impossible for any one person to know all of the options out there to write a FAQ.

FWIW, I just put in an order for a 705 today, as well. Will be nice to leave the ginormous 76 at home for once and still be able to navigate some of the tougher trail systems in my area (navigation-wise, anyway).

I started a thread a little while ago (I see it got bumped recently). At least for now, it's a good place to share and gather info. I'll probably summarize it when I start my topic about GPS data sharing. I think I'll even have to do a separate one about software.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel
    Alright! I took possession of the 705 recently

Lots to learn -- but pretty awesome so far. Couple of things I've noticed (not necessarily about the Garmin though )

1) This forum needs a moderator!

2) Lot's of helpful people on this forum. It would be great if there were some stickies at the top of the forum with most of the basic covered (for the noobs like me).

3) Would be great if one of the proposed stickies covered the various storage / sharing / data manipulation sites.

So far, I have links and/or accounts to:

Garmin Connect
    Map My Ride
    MTBGuru
    EveryTrail
    GPS Visualizer

I'm not sure how to best utilize the various sites -- still working on that aspect. On that end, are there other sites that I should look at to include to my list (or maybe point me in the direction of a previous thread)??

Thanks for all the great input you guys have put into this forum.

Old School
    NateHawk, I saw that thread you started was made into a sticky -- that's awesome!
    Thanks again for all of the thoughtful help (from everyone) put into this forum.