mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Garmin Edge 705 Memory

I just got an Edge 705 and bought the high end package with the cadence, hrm and the maps. My question is about the memory. I see that the edge has enough internal memory for 4.5 hours of riding, but my ride tomorrow looks like it might go a bit longer. As my memory card is about empty except for the maps, will it automatically switch over to the memory card when it is running out of room?? I know I could change the setting to the snart recording setting and get a much longer run, but I really prefer to get the every second data. Is there any way to get 8ish hours of data while using the record every second setting??

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by mdplayer; 03-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Hack Racer
    Just make sure you have smart recording set to "ON"

mtbr member
    I'm sure I read somewhere that you can save your rides and start another then join them later.

You can join activities in Ascent so in theory this is possible although I've never ridden for more than 5 hours to test.

If I look at the history files they're about 500kb / hour of data recording at 1 second intervals. So in theory you could save the data say every 4 hours and still be able to record data every second. Then you'd need to join the data when it's downloaded.

You save the current ride and reset the data by holding down the lap button.

Presumably the limitation is in RAM size not storage.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?
    Cheers

Billy!

[SIZE="1"]2008 Specialized Stump Jumper Elite[/SIZE]

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Not sure where you're getting the idea it can only hold a ride that's 4 hours long. I think the longest I've currently done is about 8 hours.

mtbr member
    It says it in the manual on page 58......

every Second—records points
    every second. It creates the most
    accurate record possible of your
    ride. However, with Every Second
    recording, the Edge can only record
    up to 4.5 hours of history data.
    tiP: For long rides, reset
    your timer every 4 hours
    to avoid overwriting
    history data.
    Cheers

Billy!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Use smart recording then instead of every second and there's no problem...

mtbr member
    I think you might have missed the point. The OP said....

I know I could change the setting to the snart recording setting and get a much longer run, but I really prefer to get the every second data.
    I was looking at the storage on the 705 and it can definitely store more than 4 hours of data. Or 8 or 12 come to that.

So with that in mind surely it's possible to save the current ride using the reset button and then start another ride on the same day and join the files. This would enable recording of data every second giving greater accuracy and better resolution of data without the 4 hour limitation.

Hopefully that makes sense.
    Cheers

Billy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Data storage probably depends on which accessories you have. My Garmin Team 705 has over 15 hours of every second data on it currently. BUT I do not have the power meter...only Cadence and HRM accesories. I imagine the power meter data would take up MUCH more space.