mtbr member

Garmin Edge 705 - Maps on SD card or DVD?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to buying the City Nav maps on the micro SD card versus buying the DVD?

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've been doing alot of digging lately & haven't been able to find a clear answer. From what I'm seeing, it appears that buying the City Nav or Topo maps on DVD would allow you the flexibility of having the maps on your PC and then uploading them to your Edge. Also, the Topo maps don't appear to be available for the 705, per https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885.

I ordered mine thru performance without the bundled micro SD card, just figuring that I needed to educate myself a little more & I could always get it later. I'm guessing that having the maps bundled on the SD card is simpler for those not interested in possibly plotting routes beforehand?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    My understanding is that the city Nav maps are locked, meaning, they come with one unlock code to download the maps to your GPS. Sell, lose, or upgrade your GPS and you'll need to buy another lock code for your next gps. With the card, you can take it out and put it in another gps (as long as it fits) with no hassle. Also, if you have the card you don't have to spend any time loading maps on your gps from the computer. However, with the card you can't view the maps on your computer.

Topo 2008 is not locked, so there's little reason not to get the DVD. I think there are people running Topo 2008 on 705's, might be worth a search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have Topo2008 on my 705 and most of the local roads are on there. Certainly a lot better than the base map. I haven't tried using any of course features or directions with the topo map though.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I wasn't aware that the Topo 2008 was not locked & had local roads on it. May have to check it out first.

Since both City Nav formats are the same price, it seems like it's going to boil down to being a personal decision of whether I'm more likely to want to preplan my route or buy a Nuvi (or other product).

Thanks for your input.

Reply from Garmin Product Support:
    "Some of the pros of purchasing City Navigator on the microSD card are that there are no installation requirements. You simply stick the card into your unit. You can also use this card in more than one device. However, you are not able to upload your maps to a computer to view them. With the purchase of the DVD you can install your maps on your computer and view them using MapSource. This allows you to make Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks on your computer to be transfer to your device. With the DVD the maps can only be unlocked to one unit. "

My other ride is your mom
    Since you all are on the subject of SD cards for the 705...I have a stupid question. I don't use one right now, so I'm only able to store one saved ride at a time. It has not been an issue for me because if I want to switch a mapsheet or a trail, I just load up the new saved ride. My question is this: Are there any other benefits to running a SD card in the Edge 705 other than having more storage space and the ability to store more than one saved ride? As we all know...user documentation for the Garmin products leaves much to the imagination.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If a person isn't into computers the getting the maps on the SD card is the way to go.

But couldn't you get the maps on DVD and then just put them on the microSD card, then just transfer the microSD card between different units? Maybe I just don't understand how Garmin uses the microSD cards for the 705.
    Last edited by Resist; 08-31-2008 at 01:44 PM.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist View Post
    If a person isn't into computers the getting the maps on the SD card is the way to go.

But couldn't you get the maps on DVD and then just put them on the microSD card, then just transfer the microSD card between different units? Maybe I just don't understand how Garmin uses the microSD cards for the 705.
    I realize I am bumping an old thread, but I really do wonder this. I am deciding between a Garmin 705 with the Nav Card (http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...rumb=RDMACCESS) or if I should just buy the http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...rumb=RDMACCESS (705)
    I already have a spare 8 gig SD sitting around. If it saves me the extra money, why not do it that way, is what I figure.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I realize I am bumping an old thread, but I really do wonder this. I am deciding between a Garmin 705 with the Nav Card (http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...rumb=RDMACCESS) or if I should just buy the http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...rumb=RDMACCESS (705)
    I already have a spare 8 gig SD sitting around. If it saves me the extra money, why not do it that way, is what I figure.
    Don't buy the bundle with the Garmin maps on SD. Those maps have almost no detail, and almost no trails.. You can get excellent maps for free at GPS File Depot. You can get the 705 for about $290 right now, and I have seen it under $250 if you are diligent and patient in your search.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Don't buy the bundle with the Garmin maps on SD. Those maps have almost no detail, and almost no trails.. You can get excellent maps for free at GPS File Depot. You can get the 705 for about $290 right now, and I have seen it under $250 if you are diligent and patient in your search.
    Thank you for the advice. After looking through GPS File Depot, I can tell I will be glad I won't be buying the Nav Card.
    Would you happen to know of any places in which I could start my search? During my search online, the lowest I can find is about $330. Art's website says they're now out of them, so that won't work. It appears that everyone on Amazon wants to sell a bundle too. Think it would be best to search locally?

trail rat
    I'd search Google. The 705 appears to be near the end of its product cycle, so leftovers might be all there is. You can try the local shops, I have no idea what they have. I'm seeing $275 via Amazon, but maybe not in stock. (shrug)
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie