mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Garmin Edge 605 or Vista HCX

I have been researching these two devices and cannot decide which one is the better option for me.

If anyone has some real-world experience with either of the units, I would like to hear.

I ride mostly the same trails (mountain biking only) Can be very rough riding, some concern over durability.

Would like the mapping for any new (new to me) trails I ride.

I will use occasionally in the car. Will purchase City Navigator and Card.

I want to use occasionally for geocaching and hiking with the kids.

Will I miss the "race against yourself" feature of the 605 if I went with the Vista HCX? Do you 205,305,605,705 users utilize this function often?

I will upload to motionbased. This is probably the feature I will use most...I want to see my history over time, hopefully seeing improvement.

Thanks

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    - don't know if the motionbased connection will work for the Vista, you'll have to find out that on your own, but it may disqualify the 60 if that's your intent. Saying that, I've just been uploading from my 60 into MapSource where have all my recorded tracks since 2000.

- edge sucks for geocaching, if you're serious about that then get the Vista. But, if you're serious about geocaching it's worth getting a unit that has the internal compass (don't know if the vista does) as it helps finding the caches when you are close to them). GPSMAP 60 CSx, 76 CSx, Colorado (which has more features dedicated to geocaching and the best display of them all) should be considered if this is going to be important to you.

- Vista does not do HRM / Cadence / Power recording

City Nav works on all of them.

I don't use the virtual partner/whatever, at least yet, but then I don't seriously train for racing either.

( I have a 60 CSx and an Edge 705 - the latter was an anniversary present - I mostly use the Edge now; only using the 60 for geocaching and some auto-navigation - easier button layout for that than the Edge IMO at least when driving a car; will use the 60 as a backup when riding way "out there" possibly )

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Edge series is smaller and has additional option for Heart Rate and Cadence. If you don't need these features then I think the HCX is a much better unit in particular the high sensitivity receiver can still get signal indoors and under heavy tree cover (also in the bottom of my camelback) and the screen is bigger for reading on the bike handlebar mount as well as in the car. If you want to geocache and hike then the HCX is much better than the edge series. Not sure about the "race yourself feature" I personally don't like to look at the screen while riding (unless I am lost) and it is just as easy to compare times for a particular ride.

mtbr member
    Yes, I ride alone a lot and use the race against yourself feature. It can get a bit hairy once you near your max. Its hard to take your eyes off the road while mountain biking. Especially when you are riding all out and trying to beat a time. One look down and you can loose several seconds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks...looks like the Vista HCX is the one.

Thanks, bear and bingobong...your responses helped make the decision. I did find a reference to a guy uploading from a Vista HCX to motionbased.

I am not a racer and can use the final times to compare past performance instead of staring at a little screen during the ride.

I enjoy the outdoor experience too much to focus on a computer! The vista will probably go in the camelbak...

Thanks again.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    "a gps in a camelbak is not lost when OTB"

( my biggest fear with my Edge, really, it's why I use a secondary rentention device )

Correction though: Edge has high-sensitivity receiver. Seems to track almost if not exactly as well as my 60CSx.

ihelix: cool, enjoy.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    "a gps in a camelbak is not lost when OTB"

( my biggest fear with my Edge, really, it's why I use a secondary rentention device )
    How did you do it? I'm not worried about my 305, but as a gadget weenie , I like to see creative solutions. A guy over in this thread is looking for a safety leash.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    How did you do it? I'm not worried about my 305, but as a gadget weenie , I like to see creative solutions. A guy over in this thread is looking for a safety leash.
    Really simple actually.

I noticed that on the mount, the force that moves the lever, which unlocks the Edge to slide out of the mount (sideways), is really, really low. I thought about packing something like neoprene under the latch-point, but thought better of it as the plastic lever is not really that rigid.

In the end, I put a velcro strap around the base. The fuzzy segment starts along one side, under the lever, and then the strap wraps around and the hook side connects on, covers the end of the release lever, and folds around under the bottom of the unit close to the stem.

Simple, and so far, very effective.

I went *all*out* and paid for a velco wristband at REI a total of like five bucks.

I didn't want to wrap something over the top of the Edge, because I did not want to obscure the display nor put pressure on any of the buttons.

mtbr member
    i catch hell trying to get my edge off its mount. I have 2 different mounts too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was debating between the 305 and the Hcx and ended up going with the Hcx. Main reason I wanted the 305 was the race against feature, but as others have said, looking down doesn't occur that often and I just leave it in my pack now.

mtbr member
    I used the race against yourself feature this morning. Its pretty cool. You get a chance about every few miles to check. So its nice to see your moving ahead or dropping behind. But it just does not do mapping. So now I need another unit. Not sure if I should get the 705 or HCx. I asked in another thread...