Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Edge 520

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Has anyone got contacts to pop up with a Android 6 phone? When I upgraded my old phone (lg g3) it stopped, and with my S7 I still only get the phone numbers when calls come in, not the contact. I have unpaired and re-paired the BT recently and the app has permission to access the contacts. My friend has his note 5 still on 5.x and it works on his 520. I have the most recent firmware (7.2 I believe, it just updated).
    I gave my wife her 520 gift early today, it updated to firmware 10.0. She has an S7 Active and it only showed numbers, not the contact name over the Bluetooth.

Did you ever find the solution?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    I gave my wife her 520 gift early today, it updated to firmware 10.0. She has an S7 Active and it only showed numbers, not the contact name over the Bluetooth.

I didn't realize there was a firmware update until I saw this.

Doesn't the 520 typically notify you when there's an update? I know it did with my last one -- to 9.1

Or do sometimes you have to go to Garmin Express to check?

My 520 was telling me no software updates available, but when I checked Garmin Express 10.0 was available

No idea on the firmware, I'm on an 800 and don't use it with Garmin express. This was brand new out of the box festivus gift for my wife.

Worked out the issue with contact names, the Garmin app was asking for permission to access contacts.

since 4/10/2009
    I generally use Express, and am told when updates are available. I use the app much less commonly, but I have received firmware update notices there, too, IIRC.

Magically Delicious
    Isn't Garmin Express is the only way to update your Garmin?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Isn't Garmin Express is the only way to update your Garmin?
    The wifi capable ones can usually update without Express.

mtbr member
    Went for a winter stroll over the weekend and noticed that the 520 thermometer is no longer reading 3-4C below the real temperature.

So I tested it, and it's now bang-on.

Anybody else see this? Was that a firmware fix? I'm still on v9.1

I now see that "incident detection" has been added in firmware v10.00. While I'm skeptical of the value of this based on what I've read about the 820, I gotta admit: the fact that they are still adding NEW FUNCTIONALITY to a 1.5-year old device has me impressed.

Group Live Tracking on the 520? Never say never, I guess. I saw someone had a crude version of it working on a connect-IQ app.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Hill eater
    My 520 has stopped recording and ended the ride asking me if I want to save while I was still riding without me pressing any buttons twice out of three rides since I have updated to the 10.0 firmware. It never did that before, has it happened to anyone else? I don't care for collision detection, I wonder if I can roll the firmware back to the last one that wasn't buggy.
    I also find if I update the firmware on the Garmin from my phone bluetooth connection it semi bricks the Garmin and takes ages to get get it unfrozen.
    IMO Garmin are good with hardware but terrible with software, they should just give up with Garmin Connect and hand over to Strava.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    My 520 has stopped recording and ended the ride asking me if I want to save while I was still riding without me pressing any buttons twice out of three rides since I have updated to the 10.0 firmware. It never did that before, has it happened to anyone else? I don't care for collision detection, I wonder if I can roll the firmware back to the last one that wasn't buggy.
    I also find if I update the firmware on the Garmin from my phone bluetooth connection it semi bricks the Garmin and takes ages to get get it unfrozen.
    IMO Garmin are good with hardware but terrible with software, they should just give up with Garmin Connect and hand over to Strava.
    Has your device still got free space or is it full of old rides?

mtbr member
    My 520 did a wireless firmware update over the bluetooth connection when it went to v9.1. My 5-year old BB10 phone has a pretty dodgy BT radio these days, so in hindsight it was probably a bad idea, but it did indeed work.

But rather than tempt fate, I plugged it into my PC for the v10.0 update last night to pre-empt any wireless upgrade antics the 520 might attempt.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just bought a 520 last night, and I believe it came with firmware version 10.0 already downloaded on it, it just had to be installed. Looking back through this thread, it seems they've had at least three major updates since September (was 7.X then). I don't know if that's good or bad. Normally I would say I'm glad the company is still developing and supporting it, but Garmin's not known for their awesome software, so I feel like they're just fixing mistakes a little at a time. Apparently not too great at that though either lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I would say that is not true in this case, of course some bugs had to be fixed but since 7.X version to the current one, lot of new features and improvements were introduced , you can check them here :
    Garmin: Edge 520 Updates & Downloads

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm having battery issues with my 520 in the last few weeks, has anyone had the battery draining faster than usual? I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue but I've made a hard reset and it's the same...my unit is one year old....

Magically Delicious
    Going from a 510 to 520, I really noticed the shorter battery duration. Although this was already widely known before making the change, so no surprises. I do miss the battery performance of the 510.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Battery duration may vary a lot depending on different settings in the same unit , screen bright , bluetooth connections , GPS + Glonass (instead of gps only) , and others...
    I have no issues with 10h of use till now (and battery shows 30% after that)

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    my problem is that now it spends double than a few weeks ago with the same settings and same ride....I know that it depends on some different things but the ride conditions are the same and it drains twice faster than before....just an example...one month ago, the battery went from 100% to 93 in 1 hour ride, today's ride was from 100% to 84% and it was the same ride

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    my problem is that now it spends double than a few weeks ago with the same settings and same ride....I know that it depends on some different things but the ride conditions are the same and it drains twice faster than before....just an example...one month ago, the battery went from 100% to 93 in 1 hour ride, today's ride was from 100% to 84% and it was the same ride
    no battery lasts forever.

but it's also possible that a firmware update changed battery usage.

For my purposes, I keep BT off and backlight off unless I specifically need them, as those two things are going to create notable additional power drains when used. I do use ANT+ sensors, so that's always on. I haven't been using mine very heavily lately, as I hate road riding in the cold, and it's not quite been cold enough most days for mtb rides.

chasing simplicity
    I had this issue with my 510 as well. Sudden short battery life with no setting change. I got the standard "many things affect battery life." Bit the bullet and sent the unit in for repair...$80 since it was out of warranty. Garmin doesn't actually repair, they send you new/refurbished one. Problem solved, but not elegantly.
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My unit has just one year with more or less 120 km per month..I don't think it's a severe usage of it...as it's still on the warranty period I will send it to Garmin after Christmas

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Has Anyone found a solution to the auto pause pausing while coasting? I use my 520 for Mtb and its been driving me crazy lately while I've been trying to hit some PR's on the DH parts of the trails, i can hear the thing pausing while doing 40 to 50 km/h on the down. I even stopped using the cadence sensor and deleted it from the 520, at first it seem to help a bit but still get this auto pause when I coast.
    around the first part of 2016 we did a long group ride, me and a mate wanted to do the 100k challenge of strava and by the time i completed the 100k he had like 104kms on his Polar bike comp. along with a few other ones that were using non GPS bike computers. so all those un real auto pause while coasting on on the downs added up to around 4 kms at the end of the ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenric View Post
    Has Anyone found a solution to the auto pause pausing while coasting? I use my 520 for Mtb and its been driving me crazy lately while I've been trying to hit some PR's on the DH parts of the trails, i can hear the thing pausing while doing 40 to 50 km/h on the down. I even stopped using the cadence sensor and deleted it from the 520, at first it seem to help a bit but still get this auto pause when I coast.
    around the first part of 2016 we did a long group ride, me and a mate wanted to do the 100k challenge of strava and by the time i completed the 100k he had like 104kms on his Polar bike comp. along with a few other ones that were using non GPS bike computers. so all those un real auto pause while coasting on on the downs added up to around 4 kms at the end of the ride.
    turn off auto pause.

Magically Delicious
    I leave Auto-Pause off on my Garmin and let the Post Ride software do the paused and moving time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    For the Garmin 520, is there a BACKLIGHT ALWAYS ON option for riding in the dark? My apologies if this has already been discussed.

mtbr member

Garmin Edge 520

Quote Originally Posted by Bordeauxman View Post
    For the Garmin 520, is there a BACKLIGHT ALWAYS ON option for riding in the dark? My apologies if this has already been discussed.
    Yes there is under the backlight timer setting.

I usually use 20-30% always on for night rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenric View Post
    Do you have a speed sensor on the wheel? this fixed my distance accuracy, and helps autopause work much better, although I leave it off 90% of the time. If I'm going out for a few hours with planned stops, etc I like the autopause, but the rest of the time I leave it off. (I just setup different profiles, one has it on, the other its off).
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

I have not, I am on the newest garmin and VZ s7 updates. I feel like something changed in andriod 6 with contacts because my car radio also doesn't match 100% of the time, even though only 3 people ever actually call me these days
    5010 v1

I have not, I am on the newest garmin and VZ s7 updates. I feel like something changed in andriod 6 with contacts because my car radio also doesn't match 100% of the time, even though only 3 people ever actually call me these days
    Garmin Edge 520 - Page 13- Mtbr.com

Solution was the Garmin phone app was asking permission to access the phone contacts - needed to say yes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Solution was the Garmin phone app was asking permission to access the phone contacts - needed to say yes.
    I just checked and the garmin connect app had permissions to everything except sms text, so I enabled that, but I don't have the device here to test. This might be a case where a full uninstall and reinstall could potentially work. Thanks.
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    I don't have a computer, just an iPad. My 520 is about a year and a half old. It is working fine and syncs with my iPhone 6 correctly. I've never updated the software in the Garmin. Number 1) should I? Number 2) Do I need a computer or is there a way to use my iPhone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

I got it working, but had to remove the BT connection from the phone and garmin, re-pair the two. Now the contacts are coming through,
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Went for a winter stroll over the weekend and noticed that the 520 thermometer is no longer reading 3-4C below the real temperature.

So I tested it, and it's now bang-on.
    Nevermind. All the apps and stuff I had loaded and running were heating it a bit. Which also explains some recent battery drain issues. When I tested it with all the recent add-on software off, it was still 3-4C too cold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a 510 and suddenly it will no longer connect to my android phone via bluetooth. I have unpaired it and tried to reconnect with no success. I also tried to pair it to my ipad and the ipad could not detect it at all. The issue arose when I had not updated it for a while. Then I tried updating it to see if that would work and had no success. Any suggestions?

Edit.....got it to work. Never mind.
    Last edited by scottg; 01-23-2017 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow this looks seriously so cool! Would make my commuting around the big city way more interesting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just ordered a K-EDGE gravity top cap mount. Still not sure if I made the right choice versus the adjustable stem mount, but I think I'll like this one better. I may end up getting the other just to compare. I'm not a fan of the out front mount, and I'm a bit OCD so for some reason the 520 sitting on the left side of the bars bothers me.

Anyone else using a K-EDGE mount?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ordered a pair of the K-Edge top cap mounts but returned them in favour of getting the K-EDGE MTB STEM MOUNT which places my 520 right on top of the clamp area of the stem which is ideal.
    Having it on the top-cap meant the 520 was a bit too close to me

Fergal

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Just ordered a K-EDGE gravity top cap mount. Still not sure if I made the right choice versus the adjustable stem mount, but I think I'll like this one better. I may end up getting the other just to compare. I'm not a fan of the out front mount, and I'm a bit OCD so for some reason the 520 sitting on the left side of the bars bothers me.

Anyone else using a K-EDGE mount?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Holy battery life Batman!

Went on my first long ride with the 520 today. Started with 100% battery, using GPS+GLONASS and one ANT+ speed sensor connected. No BT or wifi on. Rode 2 hours and 8 minutes, ended with 88% battery. I consider that damn good.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Not as good as the 510 was though. Generally speaking, I'm not as pleased with the 520 battery life compared to the 510.

since 4/10/2009
    ^^^ Not as good as the 510 was though. Generally speaking, I'm not as pleased with the 520 battery life compared to the 510.
    Yeah, same here, though I didn't have an Edge 510 to compare to. Just my preference for battery life. I like more, so when I do multi-day trips, I don't have to worry as much about recharging. With the 520, I can get about 2 days of riding usually before I need to start thinking about recharging.

Thankfully, I just picked up my new teardrop camper yesterday, so for multi-day ride/camping trips, I should have few worries. My camper has solar panels to keep its own battery charged up.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Thankfully, I just picked up my new teardrop camper yesterday, so for multi-day ride/camping trips, I should have few worries. My camper has solar panels to keep its own battery charged up.

You know where you need to do an update and post photos. I'll be lookin'. A little narrative and thoughts would be in order too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lots of stuff about mapping in this big thread but I can't seem to confirm if the 520 or 25 has basic "bread crumb" mapping? The only thing I care about is starting at a trailhead and have it track my route and let me see where I'm at in relation to my starting point. I have no desire to load maps and am just interested in having GPS track of my progress. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My 520 set off an emergency alert twice last ride, is there some g-force trigger in there now? It did it once when I loaded up the front over a hill, and second time when I tossed the device on my front seat in the car.
    5010 v1

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Not sure on the 25 but the 520 lays down your track and is visible when you scroll to the map window. You can save it, use it to create a route, return to start, etc.

I'm thinking that this is such a basic function of gps' since the beginning way back, it's perhaps not even mentioned.
    Always ride with a purpose.

My 520 set off an emergency alert twice last ride, is there some g-force trigger in there now? It did it once when I loaded up the front over a hill, and second time when I tossed the device on my front seat in the car.
    Ahhhh...that must be Incident Alert from Garmin Connect. I haven't set it up on mine, yet because I wanted to read how it worked and just haven't got around to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Software version 11 is out. I don't have space to update because of the maps I have loaded, and now I can't sync with Connect because I can't update. Great. Looks like I need a new map pack.

since 4/10/2009
    Software version 11 is out. I don't have space to update because of the maps I have loaded, and now I can't sync with Connect because I can't update. Great. Looks like I need a new map pack.
    Move them to a computer. Install update. put them back.

D'oh! Interesting. Just last week after seeing this thread, I started having some hiccups with my 520 not linking to Beacon or Live Track and then not auto-uploading to Strava. I was trying all kinds of combinations to make it work. I updated to v10 last week and then had to uninstall Connect, then reinstall, and it started working...till it didn't. The last issue seemed to be between Connect and Strava as it would upload my ride to Connect but it wasn't making it through to Strava. A few more tweaks and it's all working fine.....NOW there's another update? Time to plug in, I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ya know, after I posted that I thought about it and was going to try what you said. I don't know how much more space is taken up by the new software though. I know it's 15MB, not sure how much additional from the last one. Definitely going to try it first regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    D'oh! Interesting. Just last week after seeing this thread, I started having some hiccups with my 520 not linking to Beacon or Live Track and then not auto-uploading to Strava. I was trying all kinds of combinations to make it work. I updated to v10 last week and then had to uninstall Connect, then reinstall, and it started working...till it didn't. The last issue seemed to be between Connect and Strava as it would upload my ride to Connect but it wasn't making it through to Strava. A few more tweaks and it's all working fine.....NOW there's another update? Time to plug in, I guess.
    Lol, well hopefully it will fix some problems. Ya know the weird thing is that Garmin Express told me there was an error syncing with Connect, but then my ride made it over there and synced with Strava. It wouldn't load a new course to the 520 though. I dunno.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This did work by the way. For anyone in the same boat, you have to actually update the software by unplugging the device from the computer (should prompt for update at that time), then reconnect once it's updated and reload the maps. It loads a "GUPDATE" file on there that was 15MB for this version for the update, which is then deleted when the update occurs. Then you're free to drop the maps back in there.

mtbr member
    I did the update last night and all looks good and went fast.

I use the Varia smart tail light and there were a couple of useful changes in the 520's data screens for that.

mtbr member
    Any one know how to use the apps you can down load into the garmin. I've down loaded the one you can use to down load routes from mtb protect but can't figure out how to use it

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Any one know how to use the apps you can down load into the garmin. I've down loaded the one you can use to down load routes from mtb protect but can't figure out how to use it

Figure it out yet? What app is that?

mtbr member
    Figure it out yet? What app is that?
    No I haven't

Magically Delicious
    It seems Raleighguy doesn't want to tell us what app that he has the problem with. Name of app and/or the developer might help to offer help.

I've been unsuccessful in searching for an app that he might be having difficulty with. The closest app might be routeCourse, but I don't know.

since 4/10/2009
    It seems Raleighguy doesn't want to tell us what app that he has the problem with. Name of app and/or the developer might help to offer help.

I've been unsuccessful in searching for an app that he might be having difficulty with. The closest app might be routeCourse, but I don't know.
    Funny he's so quiet in here. He's usually a pretty chatty guy. Guess he's been busy at Windrock bike park and then posting vids about it on Facebook.

I haven't bothered with any of the app stuff on my Edge 520, so I'm no use in this discussion, except to heckle Raleighguy29.

mtbr member

Sorry I've been busy at work since I've. Been back haven't had time to dick with it. I'll get it posted soon.

Magically Delicious
    Yepper, we understand. Life usually has its priorities. However, work is over-rated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone know how to mark points on a ride to reference later? I know you can mark locations, but you can only view those on the Edge, and is sorta cumbersome to use for my purpose. I want to map trails, so I'm trying to mark the points where trails split. I don't know any function that does this so far. I've emailed Garmin, but wondering if anyone here has figured anything out.

since 4/10/2009
    Anyone know how to mark points on a ride to reference later? I know you can mark locations, but you can only view those on the Edge, and is sorta cumbersome to use for my purpose. I want to map trails, so I'm trying to mark the points where trails split. I don't know any function that does this so far. I've emailed Garmin, but wondering if anyone here has figured anything out.
    an edge of any sort is not the sort of GPS you want for that. you frankly want a handheld. you can run waypoint averaging on them to improve the accuracy of the recorded point so you can use them as control points.

mtbr member

Here's the app I was talking about. Any help would be great

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    an edge of any sort is not the sort of GPS you want for that. you frankly want a handheld. you can run waypoint averaging on them to improve the accuracy of the recorded point so you can use them as control points.
    Yeah, I was afraid of this.

Garmin emailed back and said it wasn't possible through Connect, but was possible with BaseCamp. I haven't tried it yet, and honestly I never really use BaseCamp. I think I'm just going to resort to marking the trailheads with the GPS track, go in a little circle or purposely go past the trailhead a couple meters or whatever. That's probably easiest, since I'm creating trails from the Strava track anyway.

Magically Delicious

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Update 11.10 available. Changes are:

Fixed issue causing elevation to be incorrectly offset.
    Fixed minor issues related to Connect IQ.

Has anyone done more testing with the smart vs. 1-sec recording interval? 1 second should be more accurate, but I saw some posts early on in this thread that showed it actually caused a few errors.

since 4/10/2009
    Update 11.10 available. Changes are:

Fixed issue causing elevation to be incorrectly offset.
    Fixed minor issues related to Connect IQ.

Has anyone done more testing with the smart vs. 1-sec recording interval? 1 second should be more accurate, but I saw some posts early on in this thread that showed it actually caused a few errors.
    Which post specifically? I have used Garmins for YEARS. Especially when I was running (and using the same GPS for both activities), and especially with my handheld (Garmin Oregon 450) I'd switch between smart and 1sec. It was consistently the same result. Smart is great for walking or running pace, but it's a hot mess when you increase the speed on twisty trails. You probably won't notice it if you live out west and your trails tend to be more open with longer, straighter sections. I don't live there and my trails don't look like that.

My local trails look like this:

Garmin Edge 520-bcsp_mtbp.jpg

If I want my track to actually reflect what I've ridden and not look like I have a crayon to a 1yr old, then I'm going to use 1sec recording. Is it perfect? Of course not. I got caught in a storm the other day, and when I downloaded my ride, I noticed that right about when the rain started, my GPS track lost a degree of accuracy. It happens. But based on what consistently happens every time I use smart recording, no, I won't ever use it for a bike ride. There's no disadvantage to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Which post specifically? I have used Garmins for YEARS. Especially when I was running (and using the same GPS for both activities), and especially with my handheld (Garmin Oregon 450) I'd switch between smart and 1sec. It was consistently the same result. Smart is great for walking or running pace, but it's a hot mess when you increase the speed on twisty trails. You probably won't notice it if you live out west and your trails tend to be more open with longer, straighter sections. I don't live there and my trails don't look like that.

My local trails look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bcsp_mtbp.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1129723

If I want my track to actually reflect what I've ridden and not look like I have a crayon to a 1yr old, then I'm going to use 1sec recording. Is it perfect? Of course not. I got caught in a storm the other day, and when I downloaded my ride, I noticed that right about when the rain started, my GPS track lost a degree of accuracy. It happens. But based on what consistently happens every time I use smart recording, no, I won't ever use it for a bike ride. There's no disadvantage to it.
    Well that's good to know. I actually used it on this past ride and it seemed good, so I'll be using it from now on. But it does lose track over simple things, and I don't think it's related to the recording interval. For example, I'll come to a "T" trail intersection from the left, turn down the trail to the bottom for about 5m just to mark it, then turn back around to continue right, and now I'm in a different spot. It's not a straight line, kinda looks like this "--__". It happens quite a bit. I'm going to play around with it a bit to see if maybe the satellite setting makes a different or anything like that. Right now I'm using GPS and GLONASS, which should be the most accurate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hello Edge520 users!
    Does anybody know if it possible to use maps (smaller parts of them) from
    OpenTopoMap Garmin-Edition
    on Edge520 unit?
    Details there are superb and i think there is no single trail missed on it - at least around my home..it would be a very useful trail guide...
    I was able to use maps from
    Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap
    Any input would be much appreciated and pardon if question is stupid/been talked over before...
    Happy riding!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    Hello Edge520 users!
    Does anybody know if it possible to use maps (smaller parts of them) from
    OpenTopoMap Garmin-Edition
    on Edge520 unit?
    Details there are superb and i think there is no single trail missed on it - at least around my home..it would be a very useful trail guide...
    I was able to use maps from
    Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap
    Any input would be much appreciated and pardon if question is stupid/been talked over before...
    Happy riding!
    You can use either. The important thing is that you need to prepare the map areas you wish to put on your device in a program like Basecamp or the older Garmin Mapsource first. Getting the file onto the Edge 520 takes more work, though, than a specific mapping model like an 820 or 1000. Earlier posts in this discussion cover that part of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey, i managed to get the map into basecamp but it is not detailed as one seen on page OpenTopoMap Garmin-Edition...
    i guess it will be even less detailed on garmin520...no contour lines (separate file that needs to be imported in basemp and merged in gmpabmap.img for 520?).
    ..it is a question for basecamp forum...still need to learn, how to make custom area map in basecamp, so it would be small enough for garmin520...will need to do some more browsing and see if i manage to get map as detailed on garmin520 as seen on page.
    But i guess i want something that is not possible for garmin520.

Thank you Harold.

since 4/10/2009
    Hey, i managed to get the map into basecamp but it is not detailed as one seen on page OpenTopoMap Garmin-Edition...
    i guess it will be even less detailed on garmin520...no contour lines (separate file that needs to be imported in basemp and merged in gmpabmap.img for 520?).
    ..it is a question for basecamp forum...still need to learn, how to make custom area map in basecamp, so it would be small enough for garmin520...will need to do some more browsing and see if i manage to get map as detailed on garmin520 as seen on page.
    But i guess i want something that is not possible for garmin520.

Thank you Harold.
    I don't know anything about the sources you're pulling data from, but it's not too big of a problem to add multiple map layers to the file you wish to load onto the Garmin. I do it on mine.

However, I'm using data from gpsfiledepot.com and the topo map files are usually all-inclusive when it comes to contour lines, streams, roads, POI data, etc. Some of that data is a little out of date (like the roads), but it's all in one file. I layer that file with a file that contains nothing but trail data. Basecamp lets you select areas from multiple map layers, and it puts them into a single output file that you can load onto the Edge 520.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sadly gpsfiledepot.com does not cover my country, Slovenija (Slovenia)...so i find it useless to even bother with "multilayering/combining/exporting" in basecamp with other regions in order to learn.
    It seems i am running out of options/ideas other than buying original garmin topo for my region and see...i guess i'll skip that.
    Thank you a lot for your input.

since 4/10/2009
    Sadly gpsfiledepot.com does not cover my country, Slovenija (Slovenia)...so i find it useless to even bother with "multilayering/combining/exporting" in basecamp with other regions in order to learn.
    It seems i am running out of options/ideas other than buying original garmin topo for my region and see...i guess i'll skip that.
    Thank you a lot for your input.
    You might be able to make those maps yourself. gpsfiledepot has a tutorial to teach you to do so. The biggest factor is whether your government makes the data you'd need to use to make them easily, freely, and publicly available. Some governments don't make that data freely available, so you have to pay for it from private companies that produce their own data (like with the Garmin maps).

I'll be honest, my wife and I are beginning to talk/plan out a trip to Europe, and trying to decide where to ride, and Slovenia has come up in more than one discussion as a potential place to ride.

Magically Delicious
    I'll be honest, my wife and I are beginning to talk/plan out a trip to Europe, and trying to decide where to ride, and Slovenia has come up in more than one discussion as a potential place to ride.
    Not to hijack this thread, but I would be interested in some of your plans for Europe. What do you intend to do about bikes? Send yours along or rent?

I didn't do it
    Just as an aside I noticed that the 520s are selling for $250 right now at all the usual outlets. That's about $50 off so not a bad deal.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Magically Delicious
    I too have noticed all of the Garmin's on sale at various sites. It has me thinkin' that some changes are coming.

since 4/10/2009
    I too have noticed all of the Garmin's on sale at various sites. It has me thinkin' that some changes are coming.
    This seems to be an annual thing for them, whether changes to that specific model are coming or not. The 820 was new, what, last year around this time? I expect that the 1000 is set for an update this year.

I didn't do it
    That's good to know. I'll have to keep my eyes open for deals in the future.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You might be able to make those maps yourself. gpsfiledepot has a tutorial to teach you to do so. The biggest factor is whether your government makes the data you'd need to use to make them easily, freely, and publicly available. Some governments don't make that data freely available, so you have to pay for it from private companies that produce their own data (like with the Garmin maps).

Seing those nice maps on OpenTopoMap Garmin-Edition makes me think it is impossible i'd be the first one to explore combining their maps and edge520...i think i've read somewhere our government made data freely available, but their maps, i have been able to find, don't come even close in details (trails on detailed topo) as seen on OTM Garmin..and honestly, setting edge520 to work with OSM maps is peak of my "mapping capabillities" - where is me making maps etc...
    If you plan to visit Slovenia, you might be surprised over our preserved and diverse nature (from alps to adriatic sea in 1,5h car drive), endless options for all kind of MTB. Renting a good MTB for two days costs cca 40€ here in capital city, Ljubljana...and frankly first really fun trail starts 2 min from my LBS door...
    I'd be honoured to show some of my favorites to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Upset

My 520 is giving me a lot of GPS errors lately. I did a reset, then rolled back from 11 to 9.10, GPS off, then back on as gps only, tried between gps +glonass etc. Here is a pic of it sitting on the counter. Last couple of rides have had at least one section with a bad error, in trails I've ridden with the unit for almost a year and had no issues.
    Garmin Edge 520-garmin.jpg

Another other tips before I call garmin? I need it for a race this weekend, then I can send it back in if needed.
    5010 v1

since 4/10/2009
    My 520 is giving me a lot of GPS errors lately. I did a reset, then rolled back from 11 to 9.10, GPS off, then back on as gps only, tried between gps +glonass etc. Here is a pic of it sitting on the counter. Last couple of rides have had at least one section with a bad error, in trails I've ridden with the unit for almost a year and had no issues.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garmin.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	1137412

Another other tips before I call garmin? I need it for a race this weekend, then I can send it back in if needed.
    Frankly, that map shows squat because there's no scale. So there's no way to tell how much it's drifting.

Checking atmospheric conditions can be worthwhile. There are a couple places you can check, but they're not exactly device-agnostic.

GNSS Planning Online
    https://www.trimble.com/gnssplanningonline/

Both require Microsoft Silverlight to run, and won't run on Chrome. I can't get them to run on Firefox or MS "Edge" on my computer, either. But if you can figure out how to get either site to run, it'll show you how atmospheric conditions affect GPS reception/accuracy. They're really cool tools to use to start understanding some external factors that affect GPS accuracy, and they can be pretty useful to use as ruleouts when you're having accuracy problems. Check the time/date/location of your problems, and rule out some potential causes.

You say you did a reset. Was it a hard reset or a soft one? There's a difference, and the hard reset is the most helpful.

Calling Garmin is never a bad idea on something like this. They'll probably walk you through a number of things you've already done, anyway (and if you tell them, they'll ask you to try again).

I'll say that it's unlikely to be a firmware issue. I'm on the most recent firmware and haven't had any accuracy problems. Nor has my wife with her 520 that she just got recently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    So I didn't realize there was another procedure for a reset, I did a hard reset, and did the same test, sitting on the counter and this is the result:Garmin Edge 520-2017-05-17-01.57.37.jpg

I'll test it on the trail now and see how that goes, thanks! I had assumed a firmware rollback would have cleared out all of the settings, but I was wrong.
    5010 v1

Magically Delicious

A little contrast provides some perspective to a structure.

Name:  garmin I.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  15.5 KB

since 4/10/2009
    Name:  garmin I.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  15.5 KB
    My monitor is on the outs....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just got an Edge 520 to replace my 510, which I lost. The 510 used to shut itself off automatically after a period of time when not recording an activity. I can't figure out how to make the 520 do that - it just stays on indefinitely, wearing down the battery.

Not a major deal I suppose but I used to just hit "save" on the 510 and then left it alone to do its thing and shut itself off so it would be nice if I could do that on the 520. Anyone know how to do that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Each profile has a "auto sleep" setting under the Auto section, I cannot currently find the setting to change how long that interval is. I'm on the newest firmware.
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I tried selecting auto sleep on the one profile I have on the device and it still didn't shut down. I don't actually want it to just "sleep". I want it to automatically just shut off completely if it's just sitting there after I've saved and uploaded my activity. My 510 did that.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    I tried selecting auto sleep on the one profile I have on the device and it still didn't shut down. I don't actually want it to just "sleep". I want it to automatically just shut off completely if it's just sitting there after I've saved and uploaded my activity. My 510 did that.
    My 520 does, too, so long as it's not plugged in. It's never a setting I've messed with, TBH. After a bit, it pops up a warning saying it'll shut off in 15sec or whatever, unless you tell it to cancel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My 520 does, too, so long as it's not plugged in. It's never a setting I've messed with, TBH. After a bit, it pops up a warning saying it'll shut off in 15sec or whatever, unless you tell it to cancel.
    Thanks....turns out there is no setting for it. After chatting with Garmin Support I did a factory reset and got it to work....finally. Just have to set up my activity profile again I guess.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Thanks....turns out there is no setting for it. After chatting with Garmin Support I did a factory reset and got it to work....finally. Just have to set up my activity profile again I guess.
    I figured a factory reset would set you right. Makes me curious how yours got disabled in the first place, though.

Jumping in on this....I vaguely recall my 520 going into auto shutdown a time or 2 when new when I was messing with and learning the ops. It's never done it since, though. So to confirm....the 520 does, in fact, go into auto-shutdown? And doing a full factory reset fixed the issue of NOT automatically shutting down? I'm completely up to date on updates but never have done a reset. I think I need to as I have noticed some anomalies with tracking correctly, an issue that has previously been discussed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Something I'm doing in the setup has messed it up because I do a quick setup without bothering to set up everything and it works - then I set it up fully and it stops working. Now I'm doing one item at a time to try to isolate the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member

New question here. Incident Detection

Question... What triggers the incident detection? I tried to test it by riding along and jumping off my bike, letting it slam onto grass. No incident detected.

Not sure if the system uses the accelerometer of the 520 or of the cell phone connected to it. My phone was in my jersey pocket and did not experience any impact obviously.

• Incident Detection was enabled on my 520
    • Garmin Connect Mobile was running on my phone
    • Phone and 520 were connected via bluetooth

I just want to test the system to ensure it sends texts to my emergency contacts.
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 | Garmin 520

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
    Question... What triggers the incident detection? I tried to test it by riding along and jumping off my bike, letting it slam onto grass. No incident detected.

Not sure if the system uses the accelerometer of the 520 or of the cell phone connected to it. My phone was in my jersey pocket and did not experience any impact obviously.

• Incident Detection was enabled on my 520
    • Garmin Connect Mobile was running on my phone
    • Phone and 520 were connected via bluetooth

I just want to test the system to ensure it sends texts to my emergency contacts.
    There is no accelerometer in the Edge 520. It's likely using your phone.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    It might also look for a period of time with close to zero movement (that's how I'd do it). Did you leave it for a few minutes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The incident detection is pretty cool. Had the misfortune of activating it 3 times in the last few months. It's loud and makes you forget the pain because you jump up out of your failure to hit that cancel button so it doesn't text for help... I remember clipping my grips on an extended tree limb going 25mph. I tumbled and started making weird groaning noises only to realize that the incident alarm which made me jumped up and hit it forgetting how much pain I was in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    It might also look for a period of time with close to zero movement (that's how I'd do it). Did you leave it for a few minutes?
    Not a few minutes. Maybe 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Had the misfortune of activating it 3 times in the last few months.
    Did it trigger immediately, or after a period of time?
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 | Garmin 520

Yeah...what triggered it? I haven't used the feature on the 520, yet. I use the RoadID app and it triggers on 5 minutes of inactivity and gives you 60" to deactivate before sending the messages.

Magically Delicious

From Garmin's web site...

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...ch7e4swMZAilU8

Incident Detection feature

When paired with a compatible mobile device*, devices that have Garmin's Incident Detection feature have the ability to send an alert to your emergency contacts in the event of an accident.

Sensors embedded within the device are used to determine if there is an impact. Any paired sensors such as a speed sensor or cadence sensor will be used as well. All of this information is combined and the device will determine if an incident has taken place.

In the event of a triggered incident detection, the device will display a screen notification giving indication to the rider that an incident has been detected. If no incident has occurred the rider has up to 30 seconds to dismiss the notification in order to avoid a false report from being sent. If an incident has occurred the device will use a paired mobile device to send a message and last known location to emergency contacts that were previously set up through the Garmin Connect Mobile app.

Thanks for looking that up, C2L. Think I'll enable it on mine. It's obviously based on accelerometers. Of course my phone has one but I also run a Cadence and Speed sensor on my bikes. I think I got it covered!

since 4/10/2009
    https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...ch7e4swMZAilU8

Incident Detection feature

When paired with a compatible mobile device*, devices that have Garmin's Incident Detection feature have the ability to send an alert to your emergency contacts in the event of an accident.

Sensors embedded within the device are used to determine if there is an impact. Any paired sensors such as a speed sensor or cadence sensor will be used as well. All of this information is combined and the device will determine if an incident has taken place.

In the event of a triggered incident detection, the device will display a screen notification giving indication to the rider that an incident has been detected. If no incident has occurred the rider has up to 30 seconds to dismiss the notification in order to avoid a false report from being sent. If an incident has occurred the device will use a paired mobile device to send a message and last known location to emergency contacts that were previously set up through the Garmin Connect Mobile app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Thanks for looking that up, C2L. Think I'll enable it on mine. It's obviously based on accelerometers. Of course my phone has one but I also run a Cadence and Speed sensor on my bikes. I think I got it covered!
    I'm not sure it means that. Note that the statement is pretty vague about what sorts of sensors. It's worth noting that incident detection was not a feature that existed for the Edge 520 when it was released. That came with a firmware update later on.

I'm not seeing anything official from Garmin. Probably a bunch of trade secrets involved, but this Garmin forum thread helps:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...dent-detection

So if you want to test it, start a ride and shake the device.

Also worth noting: while searching for answers, I found a new Garmin model - the Edge 1030. It mentions the built-in incident detection, and further specifies that it's designed for road use. Makes me wonder if riding chundery mtb trails will trigger the incident detection.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/567991

I also found this:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571552

Which is stated to be compatible with the Edge 520, though I'm not sure how.

Also a new mount:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12563-00

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
    Not a few minutes. Maybe 30 seconds.

Did it trigger immediately, or after a period of time?
    It triggers immediately. If you have a slow fall it doesn't trigger. So if you fall off an edge it won't help. It seems to know when you've gone from high speed to no speed. It doesnt know if your bike flipped over. Ive done that while hitting a square edge and endo'd at low speed and was anticipating the alarm but there was none. I think my garmin was too busy laughing tbh.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kick Start My Heart
    I have had 2 (well 3), incidents. I was cruising the bike path, hit a left hander hit gravel and a split second later, I remember the ground and a loud sound. My wife got the message and called me. Worked as advertised.
    Another time the bike was rolling a little and crashed to pavement- detection picked it up.
    The third time...I was bad. I was getting ready to ride in the bike park for some lessons, dropped it and kicked the unit into the car trying to catch it. I went to start the ride, apparently during the countdown, and it wasn't doing what I wanted, so i restarted it. Apparently, it was in the midst of the countdown, and since it never got acknowledged, it sent the message. One time ever, I left my phone in the car, since no answer, my wife called the PD to find me. Awkward! Records showed that I had a deceleration for 101 mph...
    Anyway, I use both Road ID and Edge for tracking for my wife's sake. I don't use the RoadId time countdown because it sucked when I took a break.
    Whatever Edge uses, I will take what I can get to let my wife know that I am safe with or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast