mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Garmin Edge 510 - functionality question

I know the Garmin Edge 510 can connect to your cell phone and send a live feed of your ride to your spouse (for example) and he/she can follow your ride on a from a computer. Can you also view your live position on your phone on a map and therefore, use the map on the phone for navigation purposes? Based on the reviews that I've read so far, it doesnt sound like this is possible but just wanted to make sure. I would think this function would be a no-brainer for Garmin to have included, aside from the fact that it might reduce the demand for the 800/810 additional mapping functionality.

mtbr member
    I have a 510, but I've never tried this on the Garmin app. When I have needed directions (which is not very often, just a couple times trying to find my way back to the car after a trail spits me out at the other end of a neighborhood or something), I just pull out my phone and use Google maps. Not a problem as long as I have a data connection.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Tystevens... I am just wondering if I need the 510 or if the 500 would do the trick for me. If the 510 doesn't have this functionality (see GPS map on phone) then the 500 will be my choice since the other new features of the 510 dont particularly interest me.

mtbr member
    Yeah, sorry, I don't know. I've only had the 510 for about a month, and only a few rides with it. I actually haven't even used live tracking or the bluetooth connection at all yet -- I just plug it in to the computer to transmit files and charge like I did with the 200 before it. So I don't know what my phone or the connect app is doing when it is transmitting. I'll probably be able to start commuting again next week on the bike (hoping the streets stay snow-free after this weekend's round of storms), and I'll try to remember to check this out.

For me, the live tracking and bluetooth interface is pretty much a neat trick, not a need, so it wasn't a big deal in my decision. But I did go 510 because I have some concerns about the age of the 500, and wonder if it is going to be supported by Garmin 4 years from now -- keep in mind these concerns are founded in nothing other than my experience with how companies treat their end-of-life electronic devices. I found the 510 on a cyber Monday deal at only $65 more than the 500, so that did it for me. Otherwise I probably would have gone with the 500 as well. I don't see the features of the 510 alone as being worth the price increase, I agree with you there, but it was worth a few bucks more to me to have their 'latest' model.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

As I understand it, yes, the Edge 510 will send its position to a phone, thereby acting like an external GPS receiver for the phone and improving the phone's accuracy (and also giving you a map display - or, say, on a device like an ipod that supports the bluetooth protocol for external GPS receivers - the 3rd gen ipod does not - but lacks a GPS chip of its own)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    In DC Rainmaker's review, when talking about following courses, he says the following:

"Courses on the Edge 510 can be a bit trying, but once you figure them out, they arenít too bad in a pinch. This is one area where I feel like the connection to the phone is really a let down. While the 510 didnít necessarily have to have mapping on it, it could have met half-way with phone-connected mapping. Meaning it would have required a data internet connection (whereas the 810 doesnít)."

I interpreted this as saying that it doesn't have the cell-phone mapping capabilities that I am looking for but maybe I am reading it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    In DC Rainmaker's review, when talking about following courses, he says the following:

"Courses on the Edge 510 can be a bit trying, but once you figure them out, they arenít too bad in a pinch. This is one area where I feel like the connection to the phone is really a let down. While the 510 didnít necessarily have to have mapping on it, it could have met half-way with phone-connected mapping. Meaning it would have required a data internet connection (whereas the 810 doesnít)."

I interpreted this as saying that it doesn't have the cell-phone mapping capabilities that I am looking for but maybe I am reading it wrong.
    I interpret that to mean that he'd like the gps to work with the phone to offer better course navigation. That's a little bit more of an involved function than simply providing a location fix, which I assume is all that you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I interpret that to mean that he'd like the gps to work with the phone to offer better course navigation. That's a little bit more of an involved function than simply providing a location fix, which I assume is all that you're looking for.
    Basically I am going to use the GPS for tracking/Strava purposes 90% of the time, but the other 10% of the time I would also like the ability to download some GPX files from Strava and explore some new trails that I'm not familiar with via the 510/Iphone combo (if possible). If the 510 is able to do this than I would get it but otherwise I would just get the 500 and forget about using it for navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    Basically I am going to use the GPS for tracking/Strava purposes 90% of the time, but the other 10% of the time I would also like the ability to download some GPX files from Strava and explore some new trails that I'm not familiar with via the 510/Iphone combo (if possible). If the 510 is able to do this than I would get it but otherwise I would just get the 500 and forget about using it for navigation.
    I hope you have a premium Strava account, because the basic one doesn't allow you to download anything. You can use the Strava phone app to locate segments and things, but no .gpx downloads for the free account anymore. Garmin Connect is still the best resource for free .gpx files for trails. The way I understand it, though, the Edge 510 would work well for what you want (minus the Strava downloading part). The 810 or other mapping GPS would be better if you needed navigation functions more frequently and reliably (more remote areas with spottier cell reception/difficult GPS reception).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I hope you have a premium Strava account, because the basic one doesn't allow you to download anything. You can use the Strava phone app to locate segments and things, but no .gpx downloads for the free account anymore. Garmin Connect is still the best resource for free .gpx files for trails. The way I understand it, though, the Edge 510 would work well for what you want (minus the Strava downloading part). The 810 or other mapping GPS would be better if you needed navigation functions more frequently and reliably (more remote areas with spottier cell reception/difficult GPS reception).
    Thanks Nate - I hope you are right. I'm going to have to head down to a shop that sells these and maybe they will have a demo one on hand that I could test out. In terms of downloading Strava GPX files I was hoping to just buy the premium for one month and grab all the trails I am looking for but not sure if you have to subscribe for a year or something. I'll have to check out Garmin Connect first to see whats on there. I don't want to spend all the money for the 800/810 because I will only need the navigation a small portion of the time. Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    You can use Raceshape.com Garmin Virtual Partner tool for loading Strava activities or segments as courses on your Garmin 500/800 by using the Strava ride activity or segment effort URL. The tool saves it as CRS file in the device NewFiles folder. I use it regularly on my 800 for segments with my PR or other riders segment effort saved as courses. Used with virtual partner running I can see how many seconds ahead/behind I am against the virtual partner during the segment. As a normal course you would have the virtual partner turned off. I'm guessing it will be the same for the 510/810

Strava ride activity saved on my 800 as a course
    Name:  101.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  17.4 KB
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

Ride More, Whine Less
    Yes, you can start a live track and invite yourself (or someone else) to watch the progress. When you do this, you get an email and link that will open a map in Safari (iPhone) that plots you on the map. So in theory, I think you could indeed use this map for navigation purposes. But, this is actually doing the same thing as if you just opened up a map program on your iphone and used it. If you want maps for navigation, I would look at the Edge Touring model.