mtbr member

Garmin Edge 500 setup question

I just received an Edge 500 for Christmas.

I believe that on this model it is possible to change the refresh rate for the GPS, to improve accuracy.

However the instruction book is silent on this subject. I tried but cannot figure out how to do it.

Can somebody tell me how to perform this adjustment?

mtbr member
    Menu, Bike Settings, Data Rec. Select Smart Recording or Every Second.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that is the one!

I am told this increases the accuracy when used with the kind of riding you do on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    It has no effect while in operation. It only affects the recorded ride information. Smart recording records fewer points with the goal of reducing file size and increasing the number of rides you can save on the device. It works by recording fewer points when moving in a straight line and more frequently while turning. If you are riding a tortuous route (often the case on mtbs) then "every second" can improve recorded route accuracy.

IME, it makes a pretty substantial difference with the recorded data accuracy. The simplification algorithm used seems to do a pretty good job of keeping speed and distance numbers close, but where the inaccuracy really creeps in is with the spatial data. On twisty trails, the map display will often show intersections where there are none, and place the track in different locations on the slope. When using elevation corrections on Garmin Connect or other sites (not the barometric altimeter), this throws off the climbing numbers. If you upload to Strava, this inaccuracy frequently results in missing segments that you rode. If you're trying to follow someone else's ride that used smart recording, the GPS will occasionally think you're not riding the same trail and will beep at you.

I find smart recording to work great when you're hiking, or doing something else where you've moving slowly. But at the speeds on a bike, no thanks.

mtbr member
    Is there any way to change the units of measurement?
    It gives elevation in metres and l would prefer it was in feet, like my Edge 200 was.
    Although at least the temperature is given in deg C as l can never work out what deg F means in real terms.

Yes. It's in the settings menu somewhere under an item called, you guessed it, Units. Play around until you find it. Every Garmin's menu is a little bit different to account for the different capabilities. But some things are consistently named and located.