mtbr member

Garmin Edge 500 Question

I've just bought an Edge 500 bundle and hope one of you can answer a couple of questions for me please.

After reading various reviews, I understand the unit warns the user when moving off that the timer isn't running......... This seems archaic; even the most basic cycle computers 10 years ago had auto-start so why doesn't the 500? Am I missing something here? If I'm out in difficult terrain then the chances are that I'll stop reasonably frequently, do I really have to remember to turn the thing on each time?

Also, I've never worn a HRM belt on my chest before, only on my wrist. How comfortable are they? Do people find them restrictive at all?

Thanks..........
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is a setting that warns you when starting if you havent already started it(only have to start it when you first start your ride). If you stop, then unit keeps running unless you stop it, BUT then you will have to remember to restart it. I leave mine running continuously regardless of whether or not you stop. When you download to the computer it will show you actual time, and moving time. You will have to stop the unit when your done with your ride. Hope this makes sense.

As for the chest monitor, I dont even feel it.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's great, answered the Q and I am reassured. I was sure the unit couldn't be so backward as to need switching back on after every stop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Also, i find that with the hear rate monitor, it doesnt need to be crazy tight on your chest. I also lick the sensors prior to putting it on, it helps the sensors read your HR. I know that sounds strange but it works.

mtbr member
    Do you lick the cadence sensor too and if so, which tastes best?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There is an auto start/stop setting. Its in the settings menu. The heart rate strap....Its salty.