Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Got a suspension fork

Garmin Edge 500 - no map view?

I picked up an Edge 500 to replace my aging Edge 305. In general I really like the updates to the 500. However, am I just missing it or does the Edge 500 not show a map view like the Edge 305 did? Sort of like a Course view but no course to follow but instead a breadcrumb track of where you've been.

Thanks.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    The 500 doesn't have the ability to view a map, to my knowledge. The 800 does.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    The 500 doesn't have the ability to view a map, to my knowledge. The 800 does.
    Thanks.

Seems like the one glaring omission to me, I guess I can live without it but would definitely prefer it. Everything about the 500 over the Edge 305 I think is great.

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Thanks.

Seems like the one glaring omission to me, I guess I can live without it but would definitely prefer it. Everything about the 500 over the Edge 305 I think is great.
    Completely intentional omission

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Completely intentional omission
    do tell.

mtbr member
    do tell.
    To get people to buy the 800...

do tell.
    The 500 is a road optimized model. A lot of people who buy it don't want mapping but they want all the other sensors. If you want mapping, buy a 705 or 800 or a mapping handheld. You have lots of options.

Got a suspension fork
    I don't see why the 500 couldn't still do bread crumb maps like the 305 did, and then one of the big up-sells to the 800 of course is base maps.

Adventure Mapper
    You can follow one of your pre-drawn routes on the Edge 500, but yeah, its really just a cyclocomputer that can record a route and give you all the metrics based on your position.
    I really wanted to like the Edge 500, but need a GPS receiver that can aid with exploration/endurance racing route following/bikepacking/other outdoor activities and can't justify buying the Edge 705 or 800 for what feature sets they have. I am getting the etrex 30 today instead.

Here is a video of a guy using the Edge 500 to demonstrate how you can follow a pre-ridden route, he uses the "SAG vehicle" example for why this might be useful.
    Using a Garmin Edge 500 for Car Navigation - YouTube

Hope that you find something useful there.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    You can follow one of your pre-drawn routes on the Edge 500, but yeah, its really just a cyclocomputer that can record a route and give you all the metrics based on your position.
    I really wanted to like the Edge 500, but need a GPS receiver that can aid with exploration/endurance racing route following/bikepacking/other outdoor activities and can't justify buying the Edge 705 or 800 for what feature sets they have. I am getting the etrex 30 today instead.

Here is a video of a guy using the Edge 500 to demonstrate how you can follow a pre-ridden route, he uses the "SAG vehicle" example for why this might be useful.
    Using a Garmin Edge 500 for Car Navigation - YouTube

Hope that you find something useful there.
    By the sounds of it, you would be better served with good basemaps - I don't need it, just the ability to do courses; love that feature and use it pretty often.

Adventure Mapper
    Yep, the etrex 30 and base maps should serve me well.
    So you were already following courses on the 500, but miss the map view?
    Sorry, I think I missed something. Does the 305 not suit you're needs currently?
    I saw that all your strava tracks have recently been recorded with the 305, right?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Yep, the etrex 30 and base maps should serve me well.
    So you were already following courses on the 500, but miss the map view?
    Sorry, I think I missed something. Does the 305 not suit you're needs currently?
    I saw that all your strava tracks have recently been recorded with the 305, right?
    I just upgraded to the 500, haven't even taken it out on the bike yet. 305 was serving my needs, but at several years old and my luck with Garmin products I wanted something new with a warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The map omission on the Garmin 500 is almost as big a joke as the difficulty in getting a location coord readout from the device. You can be out riding with your Garmin 500, have a stack, and even though you've got a GPS enabled device with you, there is no easy way to get your current location. This is a really dumb omission. Its infuriating when manufacturers deliberately leave useful stuff out. I understand not wanting to clutter the UI up, but make it a user configurable on/off option at least.

The only way I've found to get your location coords from it are to pretend you're doing an altitude calibration - at that point it displays your lat and long. You need to go Menu -> GPS -> Set Elevation.

You've also got no way to set a waypoint except by starting a new lap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Keep in mind

You can buy an edge 200 and a mapping handheld like a oregon 450 for the same cost as an edge 800. I just got an edge 200 and its a great little unit. As far as a cyclecomputer goes its the best I have ever had. easy to set up, locks on to sats fast, and the limited menus and features make it a breeze to use. I use the edge for the 95% of the rides where I know where I am going and use the oregon for the occasional exploration adventure. Great Combo. No HR monitor on the 200 which would bother some but I never even wear mine anyway
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    The map omission on the Garmin 500 is almost as big a joke as the difficulty in getting a location coord readout from the device. You can be out riding with your Garmin 500, have a stack, and even though you've got a GPS enabled device with you, there is no easy way to get your current location. This is a really dumb omission. Its infuriating when manufacturers deliberately leave useful stuff out. I understand not wanting to clutter the UI up, but make it a user configurable on/off option at least.

The only way I've found to get your location coords from it are to pretend you're doing an altitude calibration - at that point it displays your lat and long. You need to go Menu -> GPS -> Set Elevation.

You've also got no way to set a waypoint except by starting a new lap.
    you obviously haven't been paying attention. the Edge 500 is NOT a GPS intended for navigation. it is a training computer. nothing more. nothing less. upset by that? be angry at yourself for buying a product ill-suited to your needs. return it and get something better suited to what you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I hear ha TIG

It does seem like the Edge 200 and 500 would benifit from at least edge 305 level navigation capablilty but it does not seem like a joke to me. Garmin is trying to make some cheaper sleeker and easier to use devices. If you want to do waypoints and get your coordinates get an edge 305. They have gotten pretty cheap and are still a very powerful unit. I have a broken one you can have if you want to send it to garmin and pay the fee to have it repaired.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    you obviously haven't been paying attention. the Edge 500 is NOT a GPS intended for navigation. it is a training computer. nothing more. nothing less. upset by that? be angry at yourself for buying a product ill-suited to your needs. return it and get something better suited to what you need.
    Easy tiger. Who died and made you Garmin fan boi of the week?

I really like the 500. What it does, it does well. Its just that as a long time owner of Garmin GPS products, buying another GPS enabled product from a world-leading GPS manufacturer, I had no idea that it would not have some fundamental GPS functions like showing me my current location or allowing me to set a waypoint. This is sort of like buying a bike computer and finding that the manufacturer has deliberately left off the odometer function. After all, the unit does need to know your location to work, and it continuously sets "waypoints" to record your track.

I've got an etrax Vista HCx which has been a great and solid performer for many years, so I don't need the 500 for navigation or more advanced GPS functionality.

The point I'm making, is that Garmin have deliberately nobbled the 500 in circumstances where it would cost nothing to have some additional functionality in the unit. Garmin nake far cheaper GPS devices that have many more features.

Is there anything wrong in complaining? What's the worse that could happen? Someone from Garmin might read this and decide to re-introduce some functionality in the next version? A Garmin competitor might decide to bring new competition to the marketplace offering better functionality.

NateHawk - I just don't see what your problem is.

Easy tiger. Who died and made you Garmin fan boi of the week?

I really like the 500. What it does, it does well. Its just that as a long time owner of Garmin GPS products, buying another GPS enabled product from a world-leading GPS manufacturer, I had no idea that it would not have some fundamental GPS functions like showing me my current location or allowing me to set a waypoint. This is sort of like buying a bike computer and finding that the manufacturer has deliberately left off the odometer function. After all, the unit does need to know your location to work, and it continuously sets "waypoints" to record your track.

I've got an etrax Vista HCx which has been a great and solid performer for many years, so I don't need the 500 for navigation or more advanced GPS functionality.

The point I'm making, is that Garmin have deliberately nobbled the 500 in circumstances where it would cost nothing to have some additional functionality in the unit. Garmin nake far cheaper GPS devices that have many more features.

Is there anything wrong in complaining? What's the worse that could happen? Someone from Garmin might read this and decide to re-introduce some functionality in the next version? A Garmin competitor might decide to bring new competition to the marketplace offering better functionality.

NateHawk - I just don't see what your problem is.
    My problem is with people who don't pay attention to product literature before they buy something and when it doesn't work to their expectations, they whine about the manufacturer deliberately making the product incorrectly as compared with the item they actually wanted. You are not the first and you won't be the last.

Plenty of folks buy items then decide they don't meet their needs (myself included) and then sell or return them to buy something better. That is not the manufacturer's fault.

When I bought an Edge 705 and found that I never used the training functions or the HRM, I did not blame Garmin for it. I cut my losses and sold the device so I could buy what did have more of the features I wanted.

Then there are folks like shiggy who have legitimate problems and have legit complaints.

In this case you are blaming Garmin because you are unhappy about a feature that Garmin never claimed the device had. GPS does not always mean maps must be displayed or that location even needs to be calculated. When was the last time you saw an ATM that showed a map of where you were located or that gave you lat/long coordinates?

The edge 500 is a training computer. It lets you track fitness performance on a bike. Waypoints and maps are not essential to that purpose. Many people don't want maps and the extra bulk associated with them...people like many roadies, the people this device is marketed for.

If you bought this wanting or expecting maps, that is your fault and you don't have a legitimate gripe against anyone but yourself. If you are just pissing and moaning to piss and moan, I am calling you out on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Did you even bother reading my post before you went off on your repeat rant? HTF do you know what research I did and didn't do before getting the 500?

How in the world do you think Garmin are ever going to make a better product if people don't express their views and in what way is that suddenly your problem that you need to "call people out on it".

Garmin have already done multiple firmware upgrades, adding workouts, one second recording setting and some power related features that people wanted/asked for that were not included in the original firmware. Should the people that asked for that not have done so?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I got suckered that way. Although, with the OSM trail maps, it got me unlost.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Bicycle Obsessed
    Did you even bother reading my post before you went off on your repeat rant? HTF do you know what research I did and didn't do before getting the 500?

How in the world do you think Garmin are ever going to make a better product if people don't express their views and in what way is that suddenly your problem that you need to "call people out on it".

Garmin have already done multiple firmware upgrades, adding workouts, one second recording setting and some power related features that people wanted/asked for that were not included in the original firmware. Should the people that asked for that not have done so?
    I think the point he is trying to make is that the feature list of the 500 is not to have mapping. Garmin purposely didn't put that in. It allows them to differentiate it from other products such as the 800, which they can then charge a premium for when they do include mapping. It exactly same as the new car model...cheaper models have less features and cost less, more expensive have upgraded and additional features. You're never going to get all the features unless you buy the most expensive no matter how much you wish your car had them!

I agree that users should point out what could be better, but the items you have mentioned are really enhancements to existing features of the 500, not new features.

I have the 500 and use it strictly for training, not for navigation. my friend has the 800 and he of course can navigate with it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 500 is exactly what I wanted! A small gps enabled cyclecomputer to help me with my training. My mapping gps (legend cx) is great to throw in the backpack if I go exploring and want to mark waypoints etc.
    Different people have different needs. The 500atches my needs perfectly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I fully understand that the 500 was never going to do mapping. I too use a proper GPS for mapping. I wouldn't expect garmin ever to add mapping to the 500 and they have never said that it would do mapping.

I just think it would be good as a safety feature if it had an easy way to display your current location in the event of an emergency. That's not a big feature, it wouldn't take away from 800 sales etc. Your location is discoverable by setting a bogus elevation point (so its sort of already in there), but if you don't know this it may not be easy to discover this at the moment you need to give emergency services your coords for an evac.

I think many people might assume when they buy a GPS enabled device that it would have some easy way to display their location coords.

Got a suspension fork

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I fully understand that the 500 was never going to do mapping. I too use a proper GPS for mapping. I wouldn't expect garmin ever to add mapping to the 500 and they have never said that it would do mapping.

I just think it would be good as a safety feature if it had an easy way to display your current location in the event of an emergency. That's not a big feature, it wouldn't take away from 800 sales etc. Your location is discoverable by setting a bogus elevation point (so its sort of already in there), but if you don't know this it may not be easy to discover this at the moment you need to give emergency services your coords for an evac.

I think many people might assume when they buy a GPS enabled device that it would have some easy way to display their location coords.
    A lot of talk on here about mapping and navigating etc...

Please understand I started this thread because my Garmin Edge 305 had the ability to show a breadcrumb map of where I have been. Garmin called this the 'Map View', that's all I'm talking about. Not base maps or relief maps or anything fancy. The same view you get in Courses, but without a Course.

I get the thought that they left it out to entice people to go to the 800, but I think it's apples and oranges and that it's a shame the 500 doesn't have that Map View, if it did, I really don't think it would deter any 800 sales, and it would make for more people who are happier with their 500 that upgraded from a 305.

Adventure Mapper
    +1 to Randy
    +1 to Tig World

I agree, even though I still would want base maps and other features of a hand held gps, it seems like the edge 200 and 500 are lacking key features that would be easy to add. JMHO.
    Those two models seem very different than all the other edge models and I wonder why Garmin didn't just make a new product line for them. Those of us who have had the 305, naturally expected the 500, since it was in the same product line with a higher model number to be similar, but have a few more features, not less. I always understood from day one when it came out that the 500 was much different and lacked key features that I would want in a gps based computer. Almost every friend that I race and train with have edge 500's, and they are great tools for what they use them for, but not so great for what I want to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast