Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fcano42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18

    Garmin Edge 500 - logged HR/Spd/Cdnc but NOT GPS

    Ok, this has happened twice now. I have a Garmin Edge 500.

    I hit start, go out for my ride and when I come back the GPS data is empty and I only get HR, Speed and Cadence.

    What the heck is going on????

    And these have been two of my most epic rides.... Geeezzzz I want to toss this thing in the trash.

    Has anyone else had this experience? Am I some how putting it in stationary bike mode or something? It was programed to my mountain bike and it found my mountain bike speed and cadence transmitter.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fcano42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18
    Cross postedhis to the garmin forum. Looks like gps satilite search will time out and shut off indefinitely if it can not find signals. Since I power up as I'm prep'ing for ride I suspect this iswhat is happening. Gonna test it out tonight.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,894
    Garmins have some funky defaults that kind of suck and you can't turn off.

    On my 800, when I'm searching for where I am on my trail map I loaded, this stupid red pin keeps coming up where I touch the screen. I can make go away, but I can't remove it from coming on totally. Although, your problem seem a little more significant.

    Post back if you find a way to turn off or tweak the satellite time out.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  4. #4
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,961
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Garmins have some funky defaults that kind of suck and you can't turn off.

    On my 800, when I'm searching for where I am on my trail map I loaded, this stupid red pin keeps coming up where I touch the screen. I can make go away, but I can't remove it from coming on totally. Although, your problem seem a little more significant.

    Post back if you find a way to turn off or tweak the satellite time out.
    that's one of the "mark waypoint" functions. If you just want to pan the map, you can't just lightly touch it, because the GPS thinks you're wanting to mark a waypoint. you have to hold it like you mean it. even still, one of the limitations of a resistive touchscreen is that inputs can be muddied or misinterpreted. but a capacitive touchscreen on such a device is a royal pain. while Garmin's touchscreens don't work especially well with gloves, at least they can be used with regular gloves. capacitive touchscreens require "special" gloves, or you have to use bare fingers. what this has to do with the OP, I'll never know.

    I'm curious to hear about the OP's tests. If the GPS is timing out and shutting off like he suspects, I think a call to Garmin is warranted.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    that's one of the "mark waypoint" functions. If you just want to pan the map, you can't just lightly touch it, because the GPS thinks you're wanting to mark a waypoint. you have to hold it like you mean it. even still, one of the limitations of a resistive touchscreen is that inputs can be muddied or misinterpreted. but a capacitive touchscreen on such a device is a royal pain. while Garmin's touchscreens don't work especially well with gloves, at least they can be used with regular gloves. capacitive touchscreens require "special" gloves, or you have to use bare fingers. what this has to do with the OP, I'll never know.

    I'm curious to hear about the OP's tests. If the GPS is timing out and shutting off like he suspects, I think a call to Garmin is warranted.
    I've actually been quite surprised by how I am able to use my iPhone with most of my gloves.
    None of them are the special touchscreen friendly ones either.

  6. #6
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,961
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I've actually been quite surprised by how I am able to use my iPhone with most of my gloves.
    None of them are the special touchscreen friendly ones either.
    my ipod touch won't work with any of the gloves I own. I have some softshell gloves with a leather patch on the index fingers - no dice. I have some smartwool liners I use for running in the cold - also no worky. I haven't tried my deep winter goretex ski gloves yet...but I don't really have any reason to wear those in Texas.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,661
    I wear several different pairs of Fox gloves that seem to work surprisingly well.
    Off hand I know I have the Fox Dirtpaw and 360 that both work for me. I have
    on occasion had to resort to using my elbow though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •