mtbr member
    Jan 2008

On the Garmin Edge 500/510 Fence

Pretty simple question. With the $50 rebate on the Edge 500, the net price difference would be $80 in favor of the 500 vs the 510 bundles. I'm all for saving cash, but still curious from users if the 510 is worth the extra dough in the long run. The 500 fits the bill for what I need, though the 510's connectivity is appealing as is the fact that in my mind its likely to be supported longer with updates.

What's the take from others out there?
    Last edited by GT5050; 07-12-2013 at 07:58 PM.

that's about right. however the Edge 500 is a more mature product and updates are not going to be so necessary.

IMO, the biggest thing with the 510 is the addition of GLONASS support and the boost in reception (and therefore accuracy to some degree), Bluetooth support, and the additional capability it currently provides and may offer in the future.

willtsmith_nwi
    There is a HUGE difference in how you interact with these two devices. For the record I own a 510 and have never owned a 500. But here are some of the contrasts that I know about (from one side).

1) Switching bikes is WAY easier on the 510 with Bike and Activity profiles.
    2) Configuring data fields is WAY easier as all you have to do is press and hold a field to change it. I've done it while riding. (Caveat: you still have to snake through menus to change the # of fields on a screen).
    3) I've been told that it's WAY easier to tap the screen on the 510 then hit the side buttons on the 500.
    4) The simple breadcrumb maps ARE easier to read in color.

On the side of the 500:
    1) The screen is easier to read in direct sunlight without a backlight.
    2) The "cue sheet" features are more evolved. Some of this functionality was just added (TCX import) and still has some issues.

I would say that the 500 is a mature and COMPLETE product. As in ... that's it. The 510 is an evolving product. There is not enough in the 510 to prompt a 500 owner to upgrade. But if you're buying new, will use it on more than one bike, and you have any interest in the connected features (like auto-upload and Live Tracking) the 510 is your best bet.

On Edit: Concerning GLONASS

This Garmin 510 for all intensive purposes is an "instant on" device. If you're indoors and near a window it will lock on before you get it onto your handlebars. If you're not covered by a roof it locks on within seconds. No need for waiting for satellite lock.

Under "clear sky" conditions you will get the same accuracy. In obstructed conditions you will be more accurate as GPS+GLONASS can receive from double the number of positioning satellites. I've NEVER lost GPS lock outdoors under tree cover with the 510. I can't speak for canyons ;-)
    Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 07-13-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Adding

willtsmith_nwi
    Edge 520ish?????

I've read some criticisms of the 510 that it doesn't have the "latest" technologies you might find in Smartphones. For example:

Bluetooth 4:
    This would allow the device to act as a "remote control" for other devices such as an indoor trainer or even allow you to change the music on your phone.

Brighter outdoor display technologies:
    Yes, a brighter, more reflective screen would be nicer. Though in general, I have no problem seeing the critical info I need.

Accelerometer/Tiltmeter:
    I imagine you could do some interesting calculations with these as well as providing some more accuracy to grade and altitude calculations.

NFC communications:
    It would be nice if you could "bump" devices like the Samsung Galaxy to share route information. The ability to have GPS tags on trails with calibrations for altitude and precise locations and info would also be cool.

On Garmin Connect mobile:
    It's still immature. You can't edit information live, even the name of your workout. It's behind Strava. Personally, I wish the Garmin would just BUY Strava to get the segment comparison technology as well as the leaderboarding. I'm not interested in being King of the Mountain, I am interested in knowing when I've put in personal bests. It's a great training motivator.

What IS MISSING:
    It would not be difficult to have a connected service that would route you to a location via the cell phone then transmit the info to the device. That would be a big help for lost cyclists. It should also be possible to create routes on the app manually and transfer them to the phone wirelessly. With the capabilities of modern smartphones, you should not NEED to bring a laptop with you to fully utilize the device on a road trip.

Having said all that ... nobody's doing any better. But I hope to see these features in an Edge 520, as well as a GLONASS enabled Edge 820.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

On the Garmin Edge 500/510 Fence

Thanks for the replies! I have read up quite a bit on the products, in fact I came across a thread titled almost exactly what I called this one.

Willtsmith, your points are exactly why even with the price difference the 510 is more appealing to me. I am not upgrading but rather going into it fresh, and I do have a couple of bikes this will be used on. I too have heard that its easier to go from one to another with the 510. Also, I do like the instant upload vs. having to plug in to USB after my rides. Might seem minor, but with me one of the underlying important factors in using technology is how seamless it is to use. Instantly transferring rides to Garmin Connect via Bluetooth is a big difference for me over the 500.

My plus sides for the 500 are size and price. I do like the more compact nature, but at the end of the day I'm leaning 510 and will probably pick one up soon.

the problem with brighter screens is higher power demand. I'm not so picky about that. there is certainly room for improvement elsewhere, though.

it's funny you mention Garmin buying Strava. I doubt that would happen.

Garmin Connect was originally a service called Motionbased, the original GPS tracking site. Motionbased was based in CA and when Garmin bought them, moved them to Olathe, KS, as far as I'm aware. The ones who stayed behind in San Francisco eventually wound up creating Strava. Not sure they'd be willing to put up with another Garmin buyout. The transition was quite a mess and opened Garmin up to competition from other sites (at first, Motionbased was the only game in town).