mtbr member

Garmin Edge 305 versus Polar S725x

I would like to be able to use this while road biking, mtn biking, swimming, and running.

The features that I want (in order of importance)
    • HR monitor
    • speed/distance on bike
    • download data to my PC

Is the Polar the way to go? Or, is there a garmin product that is better?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I wear my Polar and use my GPS.

The inaccuracy of GPS calorie counts has been discussed in many threads. I believe the Polar is reasonable based on comparisons with calorie calculations of health club treadmills (I really have no other way to judge). I also think the climbing data is more realistic on the Polar.

The Polar display is small. Flipping through its screens while riding is inconvenient.

I have an inverted, long travel fork. This made the Polar difficult to use for speed and mileage.

Finally, I like to produce tracks of my rides so I can return to new areas in the future. You cannot do that with a watch. Although limited in capability, the 305 can be used to follow a downloaded track.

The greatest limitation of the 305 is its lack of maps. This problem is eliminated in the 705. However, at the moment, the 705 has other problems. Once Garmin gets these issues resolved, I would recommend the combination of the Polar and a 705.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Swimming???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Swimming

Didn't notice that--I guess the Polar wins in that category. Water resistant to 30m.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    While I had considered the water resistence of the two units, my first thought was the heart rate belt around the chest and how that would function under water.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Considering connection between watch and belt is RF link, it's not suppose to work. But in reality it does work. At least it does on old Polar Sport tester.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Swimmers don't typically train by HR.

Most swimming workouts are too short for heart rate to be a valuable measure of exertion. If you are doing 10 X 200 yard swims on the 6 (minutes) which is a fairly agressive workout a decent swimmer will be swimming for less then 3 minutes. Not long enough to settle into a steady HR zone. Most swimmers train by the time of the effort/Vs the time to rest similiar to interval workouts for mountain bikers. Ever Ironman length swims are less then an hour so they don't require the huge aerobic bases that cycling does.
    While swimming at the University level a few years ago we never used HR, and I don't think it is used in collegiate swimming to this day. Are you thinking of using HR as a tool to pace yourself while swimming so you don't go to hard or what? I would not think you would be able to see the watch while swimming anyway.
    Last edited by Pedalfaraway; 04-22-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Most swimming workouts are too short for heart rate to be a valuable measure of exertion. If you are doing 10 X 200 yard swims on the 6 (minutes) which is a fairly agressive workout a decent swimmer will be swimming for less then 3 minutes. Not long enough to settle into a steady HR zone. Most swimmers train by the time of the effort/Vs the time to rest similiar to interval workouts for mountain bikers. Ever Ironman length swims are less then an hour so they don't require the huge aerobic bases that cycling does.
    While swimming at the University level a few years ago we never used HR, and I don't think it is used in collegiate swimming to this day. Are you thinking of using HR as a tool to pace yourself while swimming so you don't go to hard or what? I would not think you would be able to see the watch while swimming anyway.
    I just want to try the HRM out while swimming...maybe I'll do it twice. I agree that it is probably not needed, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

BTW, I also swam in college...and I'm ready to put the hurt on the Triathletes (at least on the swimming section, and hopefully on the biking, too)