mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Garmin Edge 305 users?

Just curious if 305 users are using Garmin training center, Motion based or both? I am mostly interested in heart rate data at this point but who knows after I start using it more. Also I found a solar charger that is light and works with the 305. www.solio.com

mtbr member
    I just got mine. I am using GTC. I doubt I will use motion based. Not sure.

conjoinicorned
    i like GTC alot for basic information (HR, distance, climbing etc.) it's very fast and easy to get the info off the 305 unit.

i use Trackmaker to make .kml files for google earth mapping. i do use motion based...but usually only to get other peoples .hst files. i have little desire to map my HR/speed etc. over the entire trail, i just want a simple google earth map.

thanks for the link to that charger...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iamrocketman
    Just curious if 305 users are using Garmin training center, Motion based or both? I am mostly interested in heart rate data at this point but who knows after I start using it more. Also I found a solar charger that is light and works with the 305. www.solio.com
    I still load my data into GTC, but mainly use SportTracks. It's an excellent tool with lots of plug-ins to add new features.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah sport tracks is about the best program that I have found so far and, it`s free. The only thing I use TC for is looking at lap info and making courses.

Double-metric mtb man
    I am using GTC and Sporttracks to get the data from the unit, but I'm using Biker's Log Gold for my logging.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sport tracks for personal data management. It's much easier to use and logical. Motion Based is pretty sweet to access and download another users track for mapping.

trail rat
    I use four packages with my Edge 305 and Map 60CSx.

GTC just because. I like the ability to compare two different rides graphically. I can see my progress over a week, month, year on the same route.

SportTracks (link) for my main program for analyzing HR data and fitness. I use the reports from here for my cardiologist, keeps him happy. This is the BEST fitness / HRM data program for the Edge series that I have found, period.

TopoFusion (link) is my logging software to compile and analyze miles and feet climbed. I store each track in a directory by bike and year for analysis of road / mtb / road ss / mtb ss data. It is great mapping software for us amateurs who want to make a trail network from multiple tracks.

MapSource came with my Garmin 60CSx and I bought Topo and City Nav. I download tracks into here separated by each bike / year (I use four bikes) and then keep one file with all rides accumulated. This is where I plan routes for both driving to a trailhead or for exploring new areas, and then the routes or waypoints are uploaded, primarily to the 60Csx, but I do use the 305 when I just need to mark the start of an obscure trail.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie