ballbuster

Garmin Edge 305 name reset

Ugh.

I've Googled my fingers to the bone on this one. I can't seem to find the answer. I even tried a hard factory reset which did nothing, so I'm thinking I'm doing it wrong. Hold Lap and Start/Stop together for 10 seconds? Zip.

I got this Edge 305 used off fleabay for a good price. Everything works, but it has the original owner's name on it. 'Pete' is following me around, in everything I plug the goofy thing in to, mocking me, reminding me that he is the original owner, and I am but a poor cheapskate who won't pony up for a newer unit.

I've browsed through every menu item on the unit, messed with Training Center, messed with the Web Software Updater. Nuthin'

Anybody got any ideas?

ballbuster

Okay

So I found a reference to powering down, and holding Mode and Power at the same time, then asking to do a factory reset -> Yes. Did that.

Now my name reads Edge 305 (Unit ID %serialnumber%).

Better!

Now howzabout sticking in my own name?

ballbuster

On further research...

... it seems the function I'm looking for is called 'Device Nickname'.... which Garmin seems to have left out of the Macintosh version of Training Center. I'll just have to wait until I'm on my work Wintendo to fix it.

No biggie, I guess.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ... it seems the function I'm looking for is called 'Device Nickname'.... which Garmin seems to have left out of the Macintosh version of Training Center. I'll just have to wait until I'm on my work Wintendo to fix it.

No biggie, I guess.
    I am on a Mac and never used the Training Center (terrible Mac version). Never knew you could name the 305.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ballbuster

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I am on a Mac and never used the Training Center (terrible Mac version). Never knew you could name the 305.
    Confirmed it. Yep, Training Center for Wintendo can change the name, but the Mac version can't.

Not that I would have otherwise noticed. I just use Garmin Connect and Strava directly through the website. I haven't used Training Center in years.