mtbr member

Garmin Edge 305 and endurance racing, do they mix

How do people keep there Garmin Edge 305s running during long races that go beyond the claimed 5-7 hour internal battery times?
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...

GeoMan
    There are a multitude of "battery extenders" in use by leveraging the charging capabilities using the USB port. These extenders (such as the Power2Go) can give up to 24 hours of run time on the Edge 305. There are even plans to make your own but given the approximate cost of a purchased battery extender at $15, there's little motivation to build your own.

If you need ideas and are so inclined, feel free to contact me and I will find you a copy of the build it yourself plans.

Ride on!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Jski1911
    How do people keep there Garmin Edge 305s running during long races that go beyond the claimed 5-7 hour internal battery times?
    Generally, people don't. They use something that takes AA's and lasts much longer (and a spare set is easy to carry for multi-day stuff).
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My Edge 305 had no issue with 9 hours 19 minutes recording data, plus an extra 15 minutes turned on prior to the race.

mtbr member
    Geoman,
    The Philips Power2Go seems very hard to come by in the US, I've only seen one merchant on Amazon.com that carries it. Is that because it is such a new product?
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...

GeoMan
    No, it's probably because there's no margin in it.

My 2 cents...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Double-metric mtb man
    I did a century (2 actually) last year with my Edge...more than 8 hours of operation on the unit and still a bar on the battery gauge (not sure what was left, but it was still showing a bar).

There are a bunch of small battery extenders out there. I invested in a AAA version (planning a 200 km / 125 mile trip this summer) as my mp3 player takes the same and it is easy enough to have a couple extra batteries around for it. I'll let you know how it does.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    dunno about the 305, but my 705 gets > 11 hours runtime no problem.