mtbr member

Garmin Edge 305 courses question

Is it possible to take a previously created course and decrease the time you want to finish the course? In other words, to have my training partner go faster. Surely this is possible. thanks.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

trail rat
    In my three years of using mine, I have never seen a way to do it by directly manipulating the course, which is what I think you are asking. What I do is "race" the course, and then convert that faster track to the same course so I have a faster time.
    An easy way to do that is on page 39 of the 305 manual.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Bummer. You'd think there would be a way to take a course that took 60 minutes to do and say I'd like to make it 57 minutes. Then you could use the virtual partner to help you stay on pace..... there has to be a way. It's just numbers, isn't that what computers are good at????
    2010 SC Blur XCc

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Purs
    Bummer. You'd think there would be a way to take a course that took 60 minutes to do and say I'd like to make it 57 minutes. Then you could use the virtual partner to help you stay on pace..... there has to be a way. It's just numbers, isn't that what computers are good at????
    Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. I remember seeing a small tool a while back that manipulated course files at let you set your own speed for the file. Seems like you could accomplish what you wanted with that, but in a few minutes of searching, I can't find the tool I was thinking of. It might have been a part of a GPXtoCRS converter.

Have a look around and let us know if you find anything. TopoFusion saves out to CRS files and will fabricate timestamps if there is no time data. It wouldn't be that hard to give an option to set the overall time of the track, if there's enough interest in such a feature.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

trail rat
    I'm sure you can manipulate the data and re-upload. My experience is that when I get a faster time, I just convert that track to a course, as shown above. It takes less than 2 minutes; I doubt you can do that quicker via the computer. But you will have the satisfaction of doing it your way. As my Mom used to say, "there is Tim's way, and the easy way"......... I've gotten wiser in my old age.

trail rat
    Here is an old thread that may be helpful. It just popped up in the forum again.

mtbr member
    thanks guys, I'll check it out.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

Members who have read this thread: 0