Thread: Garmin Edge 200

Meatbomb

Garmin Edge 200

Anyone using one? Opinions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There was a thread about it somewhere here, in short people who run fast on tight trails with lots of sharp turns claim that Garmin 200 doesn't record track fast enough and GPX is off a little bit. If high accuracy it not a problem or you don't take sharp turns on high speed too often, then Garmin 200 is a nice small fairly accurate device : )
    For example I don't compete and I'm quite happy with my Garmin 200, but people who do find that Garmin 500 creates more accurate GPS tracks and Garmin 200 is not acceptable as a GPS gtrack recorder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just tested one out recently and returned it. The issue was the 200 uses more of an "auto" record feature as opposed to the Cateye 50 and the Garmin 500 where you can choose the record times (usually 1-3 seconds). When I was riding with a friend his units (cyclometer and Cateye 50) were coming in approx. the same where my 200 was at least a mile off (lower). When looking at the map in Garmin Connect you could see the jagged lines showing how the unit was recording. This was also confirmed with a phone call to Garmin (great customer service). I really wanted to stay with the 200 but in the end I went with a Cateye 50 (which I still need to test). The Garmin 500 was out of my price range for what I will use it for.

mtbr member
    I used a 200 for about 5 weeks and also returned it for the same reasons. Does not record frequently enough to track well IMO. Ended up going with the Edge 510.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I used a 200 for about 5 weeks and also returned it for the same reasons. Does not record frequently enough to track well IMO. Ended up going with the Edge 510.
    Yeah, the 200 is ok for road, but not mtb.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Well, I only used my on the trail a couple times -- it was mostly on the road, and I still was pretty unhappy with it. Cut off lots of corners and stuff like that, and on the somewhat curvy MUT that I ride on for my commute, it was a series of jagged lines. So I wasn't even that happy with it on the road, really. I probably would have kept it if they would have just made it record every second.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Well, I only used my on the trail a couple times -- it was mostly on the road, and I still was pretty unhappy with it. Cut off lots of corners and stuff like that, and on the somewhat curvy MUT that I ride on for my commute, it was a series of jagged lines. So I wasn't even that happy with it on the road, really. I probably would have kept it if they would have just made it record every second.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Go for the Edge 500.

I bought the 200 but swapped it for a 500 after a few weeks.
    The 500 is better in every way and if you buy the basic version (no HRM or cadance sensors etc) it does not cost much more than the 200.