mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Garmin or Delorme?

I'm trying to decide between a Garmin Vista HCX or Delorme PN-20, for use primarily on the mountain bike, but also road biking, hiking, and generally kicking around in the woods. Both seem good, and the prices are comparable, but it seems to me that it's all about the maps. Delorme has a $300 deal now, including a 1 gb card & reader, Topo USA DVD, and what they call $100 wrth of downloads.

A few questions:
    1. Am I right that it's all about the maps?
    2. Are Delorme's really better than Garmin's?
    3. Is it true that you can only use Garmin's [inferior] maps woith their products?
    4. Is one better than the other as far as interfacing with other mapping software goes?
    4A. Is there a generally accepted "best software" for sharing ride information via the internet?
    5. Does the $300 Delorme deal seal it?
    6. Any better deals floating around out there, that anybody knows of?

Oh yeah... any opinions about one just being better, or better-suited to the bike, than the other?

Thanks a ton for the help. I'm really anxious to be able to start documenting what I explore and sharing it with others. Cheers!
    Last edited by maxnbitsy; 05-14-2008 at 10:17 AM.

For most people, it's going to be all about the maps. Hardware-wise and reception-wise, the newer Garmins and the Delorme are pretty comparable.

The only time software compatibility will come into play is if you plan on using your GPS with GIS software. Garmin receivers have more options for saving your data into .shp format used in GIS software.

mtbr member
    I have a Magellan Triton 500 that has the raster basemap ability just like that Delorme unit... I have to say, real topo basemaps on your gps blow the pants off the vector stuff that you will be using with the Garmin. Real raster topo basemaps are absolutely priceless when using your gps to navigate!

Plus I think you can create custom raster basemaps for the delorme - so with a little elbow grease you might not even have to spend money on their map downloads.

Of course I should mention I don't have any experience with either of those units - just the triton (stay away from it!!!).
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

mtbr member
    REI had a special on the Vista package a few days ago, 259.00 for the gps, carrying case, and topo 2008. Not sure if it's still good.

I was wondering the same thing a few months ago and ultimately went with the physically smaller Garmin Vista Hcx. I find the maps easy enough to read in the field. I don't use it on the bars, so I'm not constantly looking at it...just when I stop or have a question where I'm at or which way to go.

t

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The DeLorme has the best maps hands down. I use mine for all of my outdoor use and it has been fantastic. For $300 and a 30 day return period, it is hard to beat. Here are some screen shots of some rides. 3DTQ, black and white DOQQ and some color imagery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks to all for the help. I ordered the Delorme today & it'll be here tomorrow. If I can figure out how to use it I'll keep you all posted. This really is a resource with incredible potential.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

bike fanatic
    Go to this link for a comparison for delorme and garmin. I have the garmin 76csx and love it for biking. The delorme has some advantages with the map packages that they offer. But the garmin has served me well for mnt biking, road biking and car travel.

http://www.gpstrailhead.com/

mtbr member
    Delorme's topo maps may be better, but their street maps, in my opinion, are inaccurate, at least in the area I live in.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by maxnbitsy
    Thanks to all for the help. I ordered the Delorme today & it'll be here tomorrow. If I can figure out how to use it I'll keep you all posted. This really is a resource with incredible potential.
    So now that you have had a chance to use it, what are your thoughts?