mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Garmin dakota corrupt files

Just started having problems with my dakota booting up. I copied all the files then before i pasted them i reformatted the gps and lost the files, so now it's a brick. Can anyone help me and copy the entire gps files and send it to me so i can see if i can get it to start again?

I heard the oregon ones work fine. I'm unaware if it will cause any serial issues. I emailed garmin they'll probably tell me im SOL.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Combatcm; 09-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was trying to think about it, if you plug the device into your computer does it still find it as a drive letter? Even purchasing maps would be useless as the device doesn't have the garmin software to run it..

formatting the device has pretty much rendered it unusable.

I would see what Garmin would charge to fix it. thats the only option i see

You formatted the device?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah, it's still recognized as a drive.

Yes, i followed some advice from some gps forums, Even if all the files are uploaded back to the device am i still SOL?

Was thinking of buying a used one and copying to software, then getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm View Post
    Yeah, it's still recognized as a drive.

Yes, i followed some advice from some gps forums, Even if all the files are uploaded back to the device am i still SOL?

Was thinking of buying a used one and copying to software, then getting rid of it.
    Google instructions to flash the device with a new version of firmware

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got it to work, for future archive, i used this link

GpsPasSion Forums

Thanks for the help

Garmin connect still says my device isn't compatible with courses, which it used to upload just fine. People on the garmin forums are having problems with the new plugin so maybe theyll issue an update. Or i can find a mapping program to manually import, i dont think connect can do that. Also i had to manually export activities from the device onto connect.
    Last edited by Combatcm; 09-04-2012 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thats awesome you got it working!

I purchased a set of waypoints (Red River Gorge GPS Waypoints) online. Garimin says their bascamp software will import them.. well it doesn't. i used the trial version of expertgps and it worked with NO issue

good luck Sir

Quote Originally Posted by bcruze View Post
    thats awesome you got it working!

I purchased a set of waypoints (Red River Gorge GPS Waypoints) online. Garimin says their bascamp software will import them.. well it doesn't. i used the trial version of expertgps and it worked with NO issue

good luck Sir
    There have been some significant updates to Basecamp recently that might muck up compatibility with 3rd party stuff.

Also, what is the file format of those waypoints you purchased?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey Nate, they are *.Loc files.

i just downloaded an update to basecamp yesterday on my computer, but haven't retried to send the waypoint again because they are already on there. I may try again when i have some free time. The link is below that describes them

outrageGIS mapping :: GPS Data :: Red River Gorge GPS Waypoints

Quote Originally Posted by bcruze View Post
    Hey Nate, they are *.Loc files.

i just downloaded an update to basecamp yesterday on my computer, but haven't retried to send the waypoint again because they are already on there. I may try again when i have some free time. The link is below that describes them

outrageGIS mapping :: GPS Data :: Red River Gorge GPS Waypoints
    seriously? .loc files? Those are OLD format waypoints and cannot contain much metadata describing the points. You can convert them to .gpx with something like GPS Babel. It's no wonder Basecamp doesn't support them.