mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Garmin Connect WTF??

When will this be ready to go? Is anyone using it? I can't get it to do anything, I triied to upload a ride and now it's been transferring for 15 min, and says data will be lost if I disconnect. I don't want to lose my ride, what is going on?
    Also why can't I transfer my digest over to Connect?
    Last edited by sbsbiker; 07-26-2009 at 08:23 AM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I think we would have all been happier if Motion Based stuck around. Acivities over so many track points--that is most road bike rides--have been very long to migrate over--in my case no road ride say over 18 miles has been migrated. Connect has little of the functionality so far that MB had. Garmin is very disappointing.

I also save to sportstracks--another program with its clear disadvantages--the glaring one being it's not robust nor intuitive in its sharing capabilities. Also some plugins have bugs. I have yet to get map overlay plug in to work.

Eventually I hope they get Connect sorted to include dot play again, better activity searching, and weather. Do that it will almost be what MB was. Then if they could incorporate geotagging and even better interactivity and sharing it would be Aces.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. It's taken them a year to just start hem hawing around.

But still so far, there's not really anything I like. Run Saturday and mapmyride/run just doesnt do it for me.

There was something California based called ladders or geoladders I think-that if I remember right from the few times I checked it out a few years ago is everything I'm looking for---but it definately looked like a regional thing for the most part.

edit--it's not geoladders, but mtbguru--I checked it out again and it still has key features missing (for example weather). MB was the best and nothing is coming close.
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 08-05-2009 at 10:02 PM.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I have been using it, no upload problems yet...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm using it no problems, and it seems to be ok but one annoying thing is that I cannot see any information on moving time (only shows total time) which I used to find most useful for evaluating my long distance rides and races. Unless of course I am missing something and just don't know where to look.

trail rat
    I have been using it since March, and no issues. I tried really hard to like MotionBased off and on for years, and it gave me fits always. I almost subscribed when they had a two for one deal, but it would not take my money - I took that as a sign...........

Now TopoFusion (www.topofusion.com) is my main program on my computer and I use Connect only to share rides.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    garmin is hiring programers in kansas city. probably good news for all the complaints.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have yet to upload to Garmin Connect without issues. Usually it never fully uploads and quits responding then I have to control/alt/delete to get anything to function. Very disappointed in this product. Does Garmin Connect not show moving time? Are there alternatives?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by sumbike
    I have yet to upload to Garmin Connect without issues. Usually it never fully uploads and quits responding then I have to control/alt/delete to get anything to function. Very disappointed in this product. Does Garmin Connect not show moving time? Are there alternatives?
    Do you have the Garmin Communicator installed?
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Does the test page work?
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

Can you upload from the GPS to any other application like Garmin Training Center or website like MotionBased, etc.?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes, I have communicator installed. Uploading to Training Center works fine, Motion Based was okay, but not without occasional issues, usually corrected by deleting some of the history on the 305.

If I have it upload all activities, it seems to get stuck and then the program stops responding. If I have it post a list it seems to work when I check the activities to upload. Frustrated by the seemingly limited functionality compared to Motion Based; it does not give moving time that I can find and you can't save a bitmap of the elevation profile. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

trail rat
    Sounds like you have some corrupt history files that were caused by an older firmware version.
    Garmin 705 problems with garminconnect.com
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are a few things that Motion Based did that you can't do on the Garmin Connect site (unless I'm missing something). As mentioned, you can't view moving time vs. total time. You can't view all the charts (and combination of charts) that you could view with motion based. You can't correct the elevation for those of us with Edge 205's and 605's. If anyone figures out how to do any of these things, please let me know. Hopefully they will upgrade the site so that it has all the same features as the old site.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    And don't forget - all of us who paid for a service are now lumped in with free service and no premium service benefit.
    For a company that creates technology for a living, their inrteractive software is incredibly weak.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Maybe it will blow just as much as MotionBased does.

That said, I DO appreciate a free web site for this kind of stuff. My GPS is a fun thing to mess with, but I doubt I'd be willing to pay anything for uploading the data.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA......those programmers are gonna have to work this weekend motionbased now will accept uploads thru august 3rd !!!
    (as of friday 5pm pacific)

trail rat
    This on the Connect site today with some links to Announcements and Forums.
    Known Issues

Having trouble uploading, or want the latest info on the Migration of data from MotionBased? Check out the Announcements at the new Garmin Forums. We currently have solutions for Vista upload problems, Safari 4 problems when using Flip4Mac, and a special upload problem with the FR405CX.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have tried to upload to Garmin Connect both yesterday and today and failed both times.

mtbr member
    I thought that maybe since they are forcing us to move from MB to GC, things would be better. But I tried another upload to GC and of course problems. IT WON"T UPLOAD!!! At least on MB that only happened a few times. Out of about 5-6 upload attempts to GC I've got 1 uploaded. To top it off they don't have dot racing, along with a few other features. WTF? Let me have Motionbased back.

From Garmon connect website......

Scheduled Down Time

Garmin Connect will be down for scheduled maintenance this week:

Tuesday, August 4th, from approximately 8:30 AM CST to 10:30 AM CST
    Thursday, August 6th, from approximately 9:00 AM CST to 1:00 PM CST
    Thanks for your patience while we continue to improve Garmin Connect.

1st week in and having down times already......not a good sign!
    uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

trail rat
    I just uploaded yesterdays ride, no issues. I have Win XP and am using the current FireFox browser to upload,
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    I use the same setup and I have been able to upolad.
    Why does GC go back over 1 year and try and upload everything when I select 'upload new activities' ?

Does it do the same for you?

I have to 'upload from list', start the upload, get the last ride and then cancel it. I dont like Garmin connect, I think Garmin should stick to hardware

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I just uploaded yesterdays ride, no issues. I have Win XP and am using the current FireFox browser to upload,

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    I use the same setup and I have been able to upolad.
    Why does GC go back over 1 year and try and upload everything when I select 'upload new activities' ?

Does it do the same for you?
    No, but I do not keep old history in my 705, that is what Connect, TopoFusion, SportTracks, GTC, and Mapsource are for, is data storage. I delete history often, sometimes after I upload to all the programs I use; I never have more than five rides of history, usually less than that.

As I stated above, there is a known issue of corrupted history resulting in upload problems that was caused by some older firmware. Deleting that history and doing a hard reset will fix it, along with updating to the current firmware if you have not done so.

Check this thread - Garmin 705 problems with garminconnect.com
    CCCMB web - Facebook