mtbr member

Garmin Connect vs. Motionbased

So I just got a Garmin Edge 705 yesterday and was very impressed with the appearance and features compared with the 305 I had been using.

When I got home from a nice 2.5 hr., 3000ft mountain ride today I decided to upload to Garmin Connect instead of Motionbased, which I had been using with the 305.

It looks nice and everything, but it is missing SO MUCH information about the ride compared to Motionbased. All the charts on motionbased (like Grade: Percent average, percent ascent/descent, Speed: Average, moving average, max, Time: moving, total, ascent, descent,) and many more aren't there on Garmin Connect.
    I would at least like to see moving time vs. total time! And heartrate charts (how much time spent in each zone, etc).

So sure enough, I uploaded the 705 data to motionbased and was able to view all the charts etc.

My question is: when they switch everything over to GC from MB on May 21st, are we going to be stuck with the dumbed-down Garmin Connect interface?

And also, is anyone else bothered by this? Maybe I'm missing something and there's a way to get GC to have all the features of MB?

Please enlighten me or share your thoughts

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    My understanding is that the reason the "switch" has not been made is that Garmin is trying to get feature parity done between the two.

Big thing to remember is that they will migrate data from motionbased to Garmin COnnect, so only use on for the time being so you do not end up with duplicate data.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Doesn't really matter. The Garmin Connect site won't let you sign up rignt now anyway. "Big changes are on the way"

We'll see........

Lusus Naturae
    Damn Coldawg, that sounds like a ripoff. I sure hope they have all the old data, plus more. When they promise Connect will be "quicker", does it mean we have less data to work with and analyze?

Anyway, the reason I am posting is to ask where can I see the 605/705 records to compare against my 305? Most people I talk to say "no don't upload to motionbased because then you'll have duplicate records". Yeah well, dear Garmin, that takes away some of the value of the stupid motionbased records when half of them are f*cking missing because nobody is uploading them to motionbased!

And now we need to wait until what, Christmas before things are merged? Then what?

Back to the point .. where can I see 605 / 705 records? I have an account with Garmin Connect but when I login I can't seem to see anywhere to search for public records. And why do we need to force people to login in order to see the records? Am I not looking in the right place?

Are the records viewable by non-logged-in guests? If not, then they're shooting themselves in the foot because this is one of the main reasons why folks without Garmin devices decide to get them ... after seeing the Motionbased stuff ... people wont want to create an account just to see the records.