mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Garmin connect upload

Need help uploading from new garmin fortrex 401 to garmin connect. Have win 7 64 bit, windows explorer, did the download of communicator plug in 4.0.3.0 and I see my 401 detected. I hit upload and get ACTIVE LOG UPLOADING,,, it just keeps spooling never downloads. Tried manual but not sure how exactly it works with gpx, I'm new to that. I did upload on MTBguru which mentioned I had to have the garmin communicator,, that worked!!! I like the garmin connect site the best, so I'm still at it trying to figure it out. Iv'e read maybe change to 34 bit but I'm thinking why? ,, don't want to go that far. And I don't have firefox. Any help, thanks..............

sounds like a question for Garmin.

https://forums.garmin.com/index.php

a manual upload simply requires you to download the data onto your hard drive first, then upload to the GC website. you're going to need to do that eventually to edit some file, anyway. might as well learn now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    sounds like a question for Garmin.

https://forums.garmin.com/index.php

a manual upload simply requires you to download the data onto your hard drive first, then upload to the GC website. you're going to need to do that eventually to edit some file, anyway. might as well learn now.
    Nate, I've been to the garmin forum, filtering down to my particular problem somtimes is not so easy. Contacting garmin is not so easy either. At least I can download to my National geographic topo 3D and MTBGuru so far and still learning about gpx files. Allot of fun....
    Liking my foretrex with wrist band, the way it sits on the handle bars, I like the stem clear for hike a bike times. I used a dense foam around the bar (velcroed to the gps band)with a dot of velcro under the bar so it won't rotate. There is plenty of cusion for the gps.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cliffover3 View Post
    Nate, I've been to the garmin forum, filtering down to my particular problem somtimes is not so easy. Contacting garmin is not so easy either. At least I can download to my National geographic topo 3D and MTBGuru so far and still learning about gpx files. Allot of fun....
    Liking my foretrex with wrist band, the way it sits on the handle bars, I like the stem clear for hike a bike times. I used a dense foam around the bar (velcroed to the gps band)with a dot of velcro under the bar so it won't rotate. There is plenty of cusion for the gps.
    Thanks
    For an obvious problem with Garmin's stuff, it's always best to get in touch with them first.

First thing you need to learn about .gpx files is that National Geographic Topo! is not the best program for managing your .gpx files. It has beautiful maps that print very well, and that's about all it's good for. But National Geographic has refused to fully support .gpx files for more than a decade. Meaning, while you can load any file you want onto the program, the program cannot send a "Track" to your GPS as a track. If you try to do it, NG Topo! will insist on converting it to a "Route" and drastically reducing the number of points in the file. Having that functionality available is fine, but allow users to send a track to the GPS! Every Garmin GPS I know of supports it in one way or another and some features are exclusive to tracks (virtual partner, detailed comparison to previous data). Memory is not the problem it used to be. Update the feature set already!. And it's not just that. NG Topo! defaults everything to its proprietary file format. Proprietary file formats for GPS data and maps are insanely frustrating. Maps are meant to be shared. Proprietary file formats prevent effective sharing.

I recommend you change to a different program that manages your files more effectively. Garmin's Basecamp, SportTracks, Topofusion for PC. Basecamp, Ascent, Rubitracks for Mac.

mtbr dismember

Manual upload

Don't know much about this unit. But 64 bit windows is not the problem. You'll have to contact Garmin regarding the communicator problem. However, for now just do a manual upload. Navigate to where the gpx file is and choose it.

mtbr member
    OP, I don't know if this is still a standing issue. I also encounter the same issue when uploading using IE 9 but im on Win 7 32bit. I don't think the problem is with the OS. My workaround is running in through Firefox and it never fails. But if you prefer IE, you can follow my suggestions below.

Here's what you can try, since you have windows 7 64bit. There's 2 Internet Explorer version in Win 7 64bit. By clicking on the E logo in your start menu it automatically runs the 64bit version. By going to the All Programs menu you will find 2 E logo one with a name Internet Explorer 64bit and one without. Obviously the one without is the 32bit version. Try running Garmin Connect through that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the reply, I contacted garmin and they fixed my problem. It was a compatibility view setting.