Lone Wolf McQuade

Garmin Connect to Google Earth......

OK, I've seen some really great posts with the trail route overlayed onto Google Earth. Do you have to pay the Google Earth upgrade in able to do that? How can I get my rides out of Garmin Connect onto the free version of Google Earth? Thanks

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Lone Wolf McQuade

I can load a picture overlay....

...but not my maps....I'm retarded!

It is a cool picture though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Soooooooooo, nobody tranfers their Garmin Connect maps onto Google Earth? It can't be done?

There don't seem to be a lot of folks here that use Garmin Connect. I started a thread in here a little while ago that had some alternatives listed, but my best guess is that you'll have to use something else if you want GE overlays. My GPS is not yet supported by GC, so I can't say one way or the other. I'll probably check out GC before I move to another service, just to see what everyone's been saying regarding feature loss from motionbased.

OK, it appears some of my old activities on MB have been migrated, so I played with one a little. If you click on the details of the activity (just under google maps view), it takes you to a new page with a bigger map. Under the text on the left is an Export button. If you click that, you get a KML option. Once you have the KML, you're set. Here's an example. I use ESRI ArcExplorer instead of GE, but it's the same idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    As an aside, the free version of GE will open gpx files. Open GE, click open file, the default is kml, hit the little arrow for more options, click on your gpx file and voila, your overlay is there.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Thank you for the replies, I will play with GE and GC some more

Matt

mtbr dismember

Easy

Upload your file to this site, it converts it to Google Earth, open in Google Earth!
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    It is a cool picture though

Hmmmm.....

Is that Navajo Lake?

Now, I don't use the Garmin site. Just scour it for good route building data like your Prescott rides! Not even sure if Connect will upload from my 60CSX anyway.

I'd figure the easy way to do it is just File/Open... (to Google Earth it is a merge) the saved .gpx track files you have stored away on the drive on your computer. Then save what is loaded up in GEarth; just File/Save/Save to My Places to add the new track(s) to the map of your world. It may be possible, but no idea on how to do it directly from Connect.

Enjoy Flag this weekend!