mtbr member

Garmin Connect - Cycling Training Plans?

Hi All,

I'm brand new to Garmin Connect and the brand in general. My wife just gave me a Garmin Forerunner 110 watch for cycling. I don't think this model is dedicated to cycling so much as it is running, but thats ok, it picks up a ride well enough and gives me a good heart rate reading.

My question is in regards to Garmin Connect. I was hoping it could help me out with a cycling training plan. On the front page of "Training Plans" it gives an example of running and shows a drop down menu for cycling plans (1st screenshot). However after clicking on "Browse Training Plans", there are only running options (2nd screenshot). What am I missing - where are the cycling plans?

Garmin Connect - Cycling Training Plans?-screen-shot-2013-04-10-10.13.06-pm.png

Garmin Connect - Cycling Training Plans?-screen-shot-2013-04-10-10.13.58-pm.png

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This is a relatively new feature and they rolled out the running plans first. I'd expect to see cycling plans pretty soon.

Ride More, Whine Less

Garmin Connect - Cycling Training Plans?

I've gone searching for them too. Garmin just rolled out a new calendar, so maybe the elusive cycling training plans are next.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Hi All,

I'm brand new to Garmin Connect and the brand in general. My wife just gave me a Garmin Forerunner 110 watch for cycling. I don't think this model is dedicated to cycling so much as it is running, but thats ok, it picks up a ride well enough and gives me a good heart rate reading.

My question is in regards to Garmin Connect. I was hoping it could help me out with a cycling training plan. On the front page of "Training Plans" it gives an example of running and shows a drop down menu for cycling plans (1st screenshot). However after clicking on "Browse Training Plans", there are only running options (2nd screenshot). What am I missing - where are the cycling plans?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-10 at 10.13.06 PM.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	789427

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-10 at 10.13.58 PM.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	789428
    I don't know if you still experience this problem, but it should show up when you click "explore - training plans". Then you have 3 icons on the left, running, cycling and triathlon. Clicking on cycling gives 1 plan only, century. I wouldn't count on garmin to release more free plans... :\

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is Garmin expecting folks to make up and then upload their own plans to share?

Quote Originally Posted by bikershrink View Post
    Is Garmin expecting folks to make up and then upload their own plans to share?
    If you think about it, a training plan needs a goal. For running, there are a lot of options out there that are pretty standardized...5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon, ultra-marathon, etc.

There aren't a whole lot of standardized cycling goals out there. Training for centuries is probably the closest you're going to find. What else do you expect to find on there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've tried to build my own plan on garmin connect, copying a very simple free plan I saw online, but it's not practical. I don't think you can even "save" the whole plan, let alone share it. You can create workouts and then schedule them, but it takes forever to do this for a lot of weeks. If something changes (like shifting the starting date of the plan) you have to re-schedule workout by workout. And you can't re-use it. It's not worth it.

training peaks has a library of mtb training plans suitable to all levels and goals, but it's very expensive... 200$ for a plan you probably will only use once, after you already pay over 100$ for an anual fee for using training peaks... I know you can import garmin center plans to training peaks, but I don't think you can do it the other way arround.

I still think training plans are the way to go for a beginner, for many reasons.