mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Garmin Colorado RAM mount

Hi everyone,

Long time, no post.

I put up a blog post today about how I configured a RAM mount for the Colorado that is different than RAM's off the shelf configuration. Thought it might interest folks here.

On a more personal note, despite my "Redwoods" moniker, I'm now back in Asheville, NC. So if you see someone on the trails at Bent Creek looking all geeked out with multiple GPS units on the handlebars, give a wave!

Rich Owings

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwoods Mtn Biker
    Hi everyone,

Long time, no post.

I put up a blog post today about how I configured a RAM mount for the Colorado that is different than RAM's off the shelf configuration. Thought it might interest folks here.

On a more personal note, despite my "Redwoods" moniker, I'm now back in Asheville, NC. So if you see someone on the trails at Bent Creek looking all geeked out with multiple GPS units on the handlebars, give a wave!

Rich Owings
    Yea, haven't heard from you for a while.

That Ram Mount looks nicer than the usual Ram Mount, but your RAM Rail Mount link was dead. I'm glad you found a better mount than the normal RAM monstrosity. A guy in NorCal last year had one go through his face during an endo. He had some brain damage among other things. A metal erector set is not something to put on the handlebars.

I was also once thinking about getting the Colorado to supplement my 60CSx. Then I heard bad things about it, besides just the firmware - dark screen, waterproof issues from slide cover, hard to enter numbers, missing features. So I enjoyed also reading your review on the Colorado compared to the 60CSx. I'll now wait for the next Garmin unit after this.

Why the move from CA?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Yea, haven't heard from you for a while.

That Ram Mount looks nicer than the usual Ram Mount, but your RAM Rail Mount link was dead.
    Hey Big Larry! Thought I might hear from you.

Thanks for catching the dead link. I can't get it to work either, so I updated the post and added the part number.

A guy in NorCal last year had one go through his face during an endo. He had some brain damage among other things. A metal erector set is not something to put on the handlebars.
    I hate hearing about crashes like that. The Colorado cradle does have a short protruding tab that looks like it would be painful if I endo'd, but those kind of crashes hurt anyway.

I was also once thinking about getting the Colorado to supplement my 60CSx. Then I heard bad things about it, besides just the firmware - dark screen, waterproof issues from slide cover, hard to enter numbers, missing features. So I enjoyed also reading your review on the Colorado compared to the 60CSx. I'll now wait for the next Garmin unit after this.

Why the move from CA?
    Thanks. The worst things are the dark screen and inability to show multiple tracks.

The move was motivated by a desire to live somewhere less isolated than Mendocino, with lower housing prices and better schools (got a new baby!). We almost ended up in NM, but family ties brought us back to NC. If you ever get out this way, I'll show you some sweet singletrack!

Slowest Rider
    I hate hearing about crashes like that. The Colorado cradle does have a short protruding tab that looks like it would be painful if I endo'd, but those kind of crashes hurt anyway.
    Small tabs are OK. It's the big articulated bar sticking up from the RAM mounts that does damage.
    The worst things are the dark screen and inability to show multiple tracks.
    I also don't like what I hear about battery life, compounded by the need for backlighting on the dark screen.

The move was motivated by a desire to live somewhere less isolated than Mendocino, with lower housing prices and better schools (got a new baby!). We almost ended up in NM, but family ties brought us back to NC. If you ever get out this way, I'll show you some sweet singletrack!
    With a new baby, being near family (AKA inbred babysitters) is a god send and critical for survival.

I also like the greenery of the East Coast and miss New Jersey. I suspect NC is just as green and has more mountains and less snow in the winter. Sounds like a nice place to ride. That and with the low cost of living, I'm jealous. But my jobs are all in the Bay Area.

I'll take you up on the offer if I get out that way.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My wife zip-tied a garmin colorado bike-mount onto the end of the RAM arm and it works great (auto mount) - don't know if that would work on the bike but I can't imagine it wouldn't.