mtbr member
    May 2013

Garmin Buying Time!! Which one do i get?!?!

Alright guys its between a Garmin Edge 500 or a 510. Try to sell me on one or the other.

I am strictly a trails rider and racer, no road for me. Which GPS is going to be the best for me?

mtbr member
    I was looking at getting a 500 but ended up purchasing a 800 last week. I read in the forum and elsewhere the 800 has better algorithm than the 500 for trail riding in forest areas plus I'm bound to use the extra features it has. The screen is larger which is a bonus for me with my eyes, I can have it set with minimal windows and have large digits displayed so a quick glance can see my speed/HR without running off the track or wheel rubbing the rider in front.

Saying that the week that I have had the 800 I'm a bit disappointed with the gps drift in forest areas I'm getting compared to my Samsung S2 phone using Strava. Saturdays ride McLeans Forest 5 laps then home via Templars Island trail a 15km McLeans Island (long loop) segment was only detected 1 of the 5 times I rode it. The map shows the data points all over the place in the forest sections, my phone gets a bit of dirft but not as much as I am getting with the 800. Needed to submit a request to get them retrieved. The 800 is set on 1sec data intervals.

I did a test comparison with the phone and garmin at Wednesdays mtb night race series, phone in my backpack and garmin on the stem to compare the gsp drift difference between the two. Garmin 800 segment and Samsung S2 segment

Garmin 800
    Garmin Buying Time!! Which one do i get?!?!-edge800nr.jpg

Samsung S2
    Garmin Buying Time!! Which one do i get?!?!-samsungs2nr.jpg

Apart from getting more gps drift than my phone I am very happy with the 800. I would suggest whatever device you end up with to get the speed/cadence sensor as well for more accurate speed and distance readings than relying on the gps for those readings.

Three weeks ago I started a thread Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year this thread shows some gps data point results on strava maps from different devices in a 8 hour race I was in. 800 and 500 etc. Only thing is I'm not sure if these devices were set on smart data recording or 1 sec intervals which I'm told can make a big deferance but the 500 garmins were showing a lot more gps drift that the other devices
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome thanks for the info! I'm gonna have to check into the 800 as well. The speed/cadence sensor is definitely a must for sure! Thanks!