mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Garmin: Bought new but got used unit

I am not gonna go slamming Garmin yet but I want to know if anyone has experienced this before. I bought a new Oregon unit and tried to register it online. I was informed the SN was already registered. Later that day the unit totally crashed. Was was informed by Garmin that the unit was pre-owned. Garmin wants to "repair" the unit and charge me intenational shipping. I live in Asia but bought the unit in the US. All packaging was absolutly new-like including the mylar screen overlay.

Has anyone experienced this before?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    I am not gonna go slamming Garmin yet but I want to know if anyone has experienced this before. I bought a new Oregon unit and tried to register it online. I was informed the SN was already registered. Later that day the unit totally crashed. Was was informed by Garmin that the unit was pre-owned. Garmin wants to "repair" the unit and charge me intenational shipping. I live in Asia but bought the unit in the US. All packaging was absolutly new-like including the mylar screen overlay.

Has anyone experienced this before?
    Not I.

Where did you purchase the unit? (It's good to know where not to shop...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I bought from REI who is bending over backwards to help out. They really are fantastic. But, as I implied, the packaging was totally new. I don't think fault is that of the retailer.

Again, I am not trying to malign Garmin, I just want to know if anyone has experienced this before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    I bought from REI who is bending over backwards to help out. They really are fantastic. But, as I implied, the packaging was totally new. I don't think fault is that of the retailer.

Again, I am not trying to malign Garmin, I just want to know if anyone has experienced this before.
    Interesting.

It'd be nice to know where the fault lies. Hard to believe it's either REI or Garmin as both are reputable organizations. Let us know what you find out.

REI will take care of you, but curious how a previously registered receiver entered the 'new' product stream. Usually stuff like that at REI ends up at a garage sale severely marked down. Could be traced to a specific employee who screwed up.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Somebody could have bought the unit, experienced the same "crash," bought another new Oregon to replace the defective one, and dressed up the defective one to appear new/unused and returned it as such.

Does the serial number on the box match the number on the unit? Not that that would make the difference, if the original owner held on to the original box.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

JIMinSVAZ
    Jul 2008
    My wife had this exact same thing happen when she bought her Nuvi... It turned out the store, which I will not mention sold accepted it as a return from someone that swore they never opened the package. And I admit it did not look opened or used at all, but it was. So they just returned it to the shelf so they wouldn't have to take a loss from discounting it. Or so they thought!

My guess is this happened in the retail store just as mine did...

"Mr. Britannica"
    was the pkg sealed? if not, prob a returned item... and not garmin's fault, but REI's. they should take care of you

JIMinSVAZ
    Jul 2008
    My wifes looked to be sealed... but honestly its not that hard to open a box with out breaking a sticker! Remember when we were all kids? How many peaked at the xmas gifts?

The sad part is that store managers are placing previously purchased items back on the shelves with out checking the contents thoroughly!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    When I bought my Oregon 300 a month or so ago at EMS I had to buy the store display as it was the only one left. When I attempted to register it product support said the same - that it had already been registered. Since mine was out of the packaging, I have no idea who had it, if it was a return... I even tried to get Garmin to email whomever had previously registered it to switch but they wouldn't do it. I waited a couple of weeks and then on a whim tried registering it again through the Garmin Connect site. For some reason it worked and now I'm registered. What happened? I have no idea. I could be bummed that my unit was probably not new but it works fine and looks new. You could always try again.

JIMinSVAZ
    Jul 2008
    That's good advice moosemorrised! When mine happened and Garmin stated on the phone they couldn't do anything for me because for all they knew I stole it. I immediately packaged it back up and took it back!

Now that I remember, I had a problem registering my 76CSx with Garmin. No way it could have been used since I bought it straight from Garmin. I think the problem might be on their end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Now that I remember, I had a problem registering my 76CSx with Garmin. No way it could have been used since I bought it straight from Garmin. I think the problem might be on their end.
    I suspect it was defective and pre-owned from Garmin. Again, not bashing, that's just the way it looks due to the following
    • Box was in brand new condition
    • Mylar screen cover was still in place and I recall no bubbles or whatever
    • All booklets and documents were included. I always throw/recycle that stuff immediatly
    • CD was unopened. In fareness, content of the CD is available online

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After getting juggled a bit between two reps at Garmin I contacted REI by phone. This was not cheap as I called from South Korea. The person on the line at REI put me in touch with the right folks in returns and it was rock and roll time. I sent it back to their returns department and they immediatly sent me a replacement unit. REI was really motivated to help me and I won't forget that.

JIMinSVAZ
    Jul 2008
    That's great to hear...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Does anyone have a bad experience to share at REI? From everything I've read they are GREAT! I'm going to buy a membership from them before I buy my first GPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It sounds to me like REI is selling reman as new unit, but they may not have known it. Garmin reman probably ships reman in factory sealed box, but I would think that they would be applying stickers to the boxes stating reman.

REI is surely anxious to keep this situation from reaching consumers. I am surprised they didn;t send you a pair of them for free. The bad press would really hurt more than a few freebies. Companies selling reman as new get beat up bad when the word gets out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I might be able to shed some light on this since I used to work returns for REI. The problem is a lot of people when they return things lied to us and told us that they were unused. Even though we WOULD have taken it back anyway. So a lot of the time we would open the box and give it a quick once over and onto the floor it went. There was no way for us to check short of calling Garmin for every returned unit. So unfortunatley it did happen where one of those registered ones would get back onto the floor. But we were really good at replacing those units because we weren't trying to pull anything over on a customer it was just that we missed it. It got to the point where if we thought that it was used at all we just sent them back to Garmin for them to use as refurbs.