Scott in Tucson

Garmin basecamp released

This is Garmin's new application similar to Mapsource, but with different features (like 3D, geotagging, etc). Download is free if you have any of the Garmin Mapsource products that include DEM data (Topo 2008 is one example that works).

More info and download link on this page:

http://www.gpstracklog.com/gps_track...try-notes.html

(I tried pasting the direct download link, but MTBR starred out some of the characters (bad word filtering?!) and it doesn't work)

Thoughts / impressions?
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

trail rat
    I installed it, but did not read the fine print. My Topo 100k and CityNav are too old. I do not know if I will upgrade, since I have the 20" free CA topo and Ibycus from GPS File Depot,and of course, TopoFusion is awesome. I am finding that I use Garmin Topo more on my 705 though.

Honestly, does BaseCamp give something significant that TopoFusion does not, besides a pretty graphic interface (that is not important to me, I am a function first, appearance second guy)?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Scott in Tucson
    Personally I'm not very impressed by it, but I'm sure they will continue to develop it.

It runs really slow -- that's my main complaint. Otherwise it seems they are trying to do a few things TF does (track playback, 3D, geotagging), but IMO they've missed the mark on most of them so far.

Still a good thing to have another mapping tool in the quiver. I'm sure I'll figure out some advantages it has.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    This is Garmin's new application similar to Mapsource, but with different features (like 3D, geotagging, etc). Download is free if you have any of the Garmin Mapsource products that include DEM data (Topo 2008 is one example that works).

More info and download link on this page:

http://www.gpstracklog.com/gps_track...try-notes.html

(I tried pasting the direct download link, but MTBR starred out some of the characters (bad word filtering?!) and it doesn't work)

Thoughts / impressions?
    We (Garmin Tempe) have also published Garmin BaseCamp for the Mac at

http://garmin.com/support/download_d...%2Ejsp?id=4449

This Mac version is beta software, which means that the software is still in development and isn't quite finished. (There may be a few rough edges.)

Dave
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Scott in Tucson
    Hey Dave,

Didn't mean to rag on your work. It didn't occur to me that Basecamp came out of Garmin Tempe for some reason.

Any comment on the speed? I saw others noting it on groundspeak too. Is there a chance you can get it to redraw faster in the future?

I'm looking forward to checking it out in more detail. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Edge 705. It didn't come with any software, just an owners manual CD. How do I download Mapsource, etc?
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

Scott in Tucson
    You can download training center, but this software (Basecamp) will not work without buying a mapsource product with DEM data.

Here are some links for Training Center:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00447-00

mtbr member
    What does Mapsorce product with DEM mean? Guess it doesn't matter too much since I bought Topofusion. Dave, you said you work for Garmin? Dude, the online help desk really needs some work. The request form is nearly impossible to navigate and the email answer I got didn't really do anything but comfirm that the $600 I spent did not even cover any kind of software, no directions as to get what I needed just how to get Garmin Connect. I would be happy to discuss this further with anyone from the company if they were interested. Business coaching is what I do for a living (for a manufacturing/retail company) and am pretty good at it.
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by whit022000
    I just bought a Edge 705. It didn't come with any software, just an owners manual CD. How do I download Mapsource, etc?
    Try this link.

Dude, the online help desk really needs some work.
    Yes, (sigh). About two years ago, Garmin was head and shoulders above the crowd in customer service and expertise. Now they are at about knee level with the other places that I contact.

And Garmin Connect has so many errors with my 705 that I quit using it. It has me at 50% of the mileage and 65% of the climbing that TopoFusion or SportTracks or even GTC shows, fer crissakes! Ugh! Great concept, poor execution. Garmin hardware Garmin software
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    What does Mapsorce product with DEM mean? Guess it doesn't matter too much since I bought Topofusion. Dave, you said you work for Garmin? Dude, the online help desk really needs some work. The request form is nearly impossible to navigate and the email answer I got didn't really do anything but comfirm that the $600 I spent did not even cover any kind of software, no directions as to get what I needed just how to get Garmin Connect. I would be happy to discuss this further with anyone from the company if they were interested. Business coaching is what I do for a living (for a manufacturing/retail company) and am pretty good at it.
    DEM means Digital Elevation Model, a term coined by the United States Geological Survey. This just means that the map has elevation data built in, in order to allow elevation shading and 3D Viewing. Topo USA 2008 is a DEM product.

The Edge 705 software page
    http://www8.garmin.com/fitness/edge/

Your options for free software, linked on the above page, are the web-based Garmin Connect and pc / mac - based Garmin Training Center.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War