Thread: Which Garmin?

MOO
    mtbr member

Which Garmin?

Hi
    I ride both MTB and Road, I want to get a Garmin that I can use on both bikes. I want to use it primarily for GPS tracking , HR. I am looking at the
    ForerunnerXT and Edge 500 Red. I cant fit the speed and cadence sensor on my MTB. I would like to fit it to the road bike.
    What are the pros and cons of both the devices and which would be most transferable between bikes?
    Thanks
    Moo

Both would be transferable and would do what you want. Which Forerunner, though? There are two triathlon models (the 310xt and the 910xt).

Both can accept multiple profiles. My Forerunner 310XT has up to 3 bike profiles. The Forerunners have smaller screens so you can't view as many data fields at once. You'd want to get the 1/4 turn QR adapter if you got a Forerunner, and it'd have the same mount system as the Edges. You could still use the wrist strap, because there's a handlebar adapter that works with it, too.

MOO
    mtbr member
    I am looking at the 910xt. This might be a silly question. Do I need the speed/cadence sensor or is the gps accurate enough?

Just Ride.
    GPS is accurate enough. I think with the sensor it works off both? Not sure I use the cadence on my road bike. I was in the same situation as you, I ended up going for the edge 500 and have not regretted it. Very clear and easy to read and easy to use. I don't run or swim so I went for the mounted unit. Either way you'll be happy. If you are looking at 910 I would strongly recommend looking at the Edge 510.

Quote Originally Posted by MOO View Post
    I am looking at the 910xt. This might be a silly question. Do I need the speed/cadence sensor or is the gps accurate enough?
    GPS alone is accurate enough for my wanderings and keeping general track of how much I've ridden in a year. For trainer use, need the sensor. For cadence, need the sensor.

Full disclosure: I went with the Forerunner because I run and bike and I can use one device for both (it is compatible with the foot pod for treadmill workouts in the winter - I like biking in winter, but dislike running in it).

MOO
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies! Looks like the 500 for me.