Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Garmin 800 vs. 500 Edge

I am looking at getting either one of these units and am trying to decipher if the 800 worth the extra money. It seems to me the basic difference is the touch screen, are there any other functions that you may think are important in contrast to the 500?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mapping

The 800 is a mapping gps. It does basically everything a 500 does plus It can display maps, tell you where you have been, and show you where you are going. The 500 is a GPS enabled bike computer. It can tell you how fast you are going, how far, and elevation change, average speed, etc. Its bascially useless as a navigation device
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Adventure Mapper

etrex 30?

Though not a cycling specific computer, I just bought the etrex 30 and also wanted something that had functions between the 500 and 800.
    It has ability to connect heart rate and cadence/speed sensors wirelessly through ANT+ connections. It also can load base maps like the 800, is fairly small and light weight, uses AA batteries, and costs the same as the 500.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    All I can say is that I haven't been happy with the 500's accuracy. The older 305 was way better.
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I missed the obvious mapping feature. I am most likely going to use it only as a bike computer in the field and would like to be able to upload the ride to Garmin Connect to then map. Would the 500 be sufficient for that?

Adventure Mapper
    If you don't want to know your position or see it on a map while you are out in the ride, the 500 is perfect.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    @ Nick, thanks!

trail rat
    The 500 was conceived as a road bike GPS, so the mapping algorithm is slower to allow for a smaller size, keeping good battery life; it assumes you are going mostly in straight lines.

The 800 has a faster sampling rate that will be more accurate offroad on twisty track.

I have typed the whole explanation on the 500 a number of times, search in this forum for my user name and you will find them.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

sheep in FOX clothing
    Note that the 500 now also has a user-selectable 1-second sampling rate. Although with the wheel sensor, I haven't needed to use it yet.

Once the trees leaf out this summer I'll get a better idea of it's in-woodland functionality.

Riding or Drumming
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    The 500 was conceived as a road bike GPS, so the mapping algorithm is slower to allow for a smaller size, keeping good battery life; it assumes you are going mostly in straight lines.

The 800 has a faster sampling rate that will be more accurate offroad on twisty track.
    I've had both and I too found the 500's reception weak in the woods. 800 is definitely better reception and a much-improved menu interface. Additionally, I do a bit of backcountry riding and do use the mapping with topos I've loaded.

IMO, the 500 works better for road.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    All good input, will most likely get the 800. Garmin Tech Support sent the following comparison which I found interesting.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=36728

mtbr dismember

Think ahead

Think ahead when you buy a GPS. If you can afford it buy more than you think you need because you may grow into the extra functions. If you mountain bike sooner or later you will find the mapping features of the 800 well worth the extra money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I got an 800 last spring and really like it. I don't use the mapping and routing features that much, but when I do they are very handy. When in unfamiliar areas, I can put up the map and have it display upcoming intersections/road names and I'll know when a turn is coming up. And if you do get lost on a ride, just hit the route to beginning button and it'll figure out how to get back to where you started the ride. And off-road, it is handy especially with a good topo or trail map. Get a 4GB mini-SD card and load it up with all the maps you can fit on it.

Also works for geocaching if you are into that. Fun to load up some geocache waypoints along a biking route and hit those on your ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Think ahead when you buy a GPS. If you can afford it buy more than you think you need because you may grow into the extra functions. If you mountain bike sooner or later you will find the mapping features of the 800 well worth the extra money.

I certainly did.
    With loading the OSM maps, you get trail. I was able to create a ride in a large state park that you can get lost in if your not careful (Henry Coe). I loaded it on my 800 and always knew where I was.

I could tell when a turn was coming up that I needed to take. Have you ever been blazing down a trail and having so much fun you missed your turn??? I have. You get a loud beeping sound when you miss a turn with the 800.

I think it's worth it.

Oh, GET AN ANTIGLARE SCREEN PROTECTOR!!!!!
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I just purchased the edge 800. I love the unit but having one issue. The mileage tracker doesn't show the mileage when I start the timer and show's ft instead of mph even when I pick distance from the menu and picking statute instead of metric under settings.

Does anyone know what may be driving this issue?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTallboy View Post
    I just purchased the edge 800. I love the unit but having one issue. The mileage tracker doesn't show the mileage when I start the timer and show's ft instead of mph even when I pick distance from the menu and picking statute instead of metric under settings.
    Sorry, it's showing your trip distance in feet?

mtbr member
    Yep. It withers shows in feet or doesn't track mileage if I pick course and distance to distance. Thinking its a software glitch or operator issue :-) not much out there on instructions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My 800 starts in feet then changes to miles once I get a a couple hundred yards in....

mtbr member
    I rode for 1:15 minutes today and it was stuck on feet throughout the ride.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fasytn

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mine will read feet up until you hit 500 ft. then it changes to 0.10 miles and continues in miles. You might contact Garmin tech support and see what they have to say. When I first got mine last year, I had to go through 2 special resets to get it working right. I think I found one real bug in their firmware that they ultimately fixed. But did one reset and then a different one and after that is pretty much worked normally.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Weird. Wouldn't it run out of room for the numbers in the display window after about 2 miles?

mtbr dismember

Screen capture?

Quote Originally Posted by ZTallboy View Post
    I rode for 1:15 minutes today and it was stuck on feet throughout the ride.
    Please post a screen capture of this.

Timbo

Good job! Garmin 800

Have had two issues with an 800; spiking cadence, me thinks caused by freewheeling near the sensor and a one off soft re boot, otherwise a great investment

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Timoshenko View Post
    Have had two issues with an 800; spiking cadence, me thinks caused by freewheeling near the sensor
    When I descend (coasting) with my left foot back, I'l sometimes get cadence spikes from the crankarm magnet wavering over the sensor as I go over bumps.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    When I descend (coasting) with my left foot back, I'l sometimes get cadence spikes from the crankarm magnet wavering over the sensor as I go over bumps.
    Yes, you can test this by moving the magnet back and forth, up and down past the magnet; the sensor counts each pass, it has no way to sense if you do circles or up and down passes since it is non-directional in sensing the magnet field. It counts them all, so reports a couple seconds at 200 rpm when in fact you are at zero rpm, bouncing.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast