mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Garmin 800 Screen Contrast?

I had a 705 that worked great for 2 years and then stopped recording my milage correctly. I returned it to REI and they replaced it with an 800.

I never had any problems seeing my maps or bike computer screens on the 705. Morning,noon or night I could see the display clearly. With the 800 when it gets a very light layer of dust on it either at a race or fallowing some one on the trail I can't see anything but dust.

Is it just the difference in the material the screen is made from or is there a setting that works better to help visability? I thought about trying the night time mode to make the numbers white at this weekends race but don't know if that will help. Any one else have any experience with this or a suggestion?

it could in part be due to the material the screen is made from. The screen on my 705 was nice and hard and glossy, whereas on my Oregon touchscreen, the outer surface is a little softer (it's a resistive touchscreen, so it needs to register pressure). It could be a static electricity issue. there's been some talk here about a "swipe" technique to clear dust from GPS screens in general. a firm, even, quick swipe should clear it without causing the screen to change (registering only a single touch, not multiple touches).

I know with my Oregon, viewing the screen without the backlight requires straight direct sun. If the lighting is dappled or shady or whatever it can be hard to see and I have to crank up the backlight.

Nickel Havr
    I have the display set on Day Mode and the brightness is one click from the top...
    Never had any problems seeing it.

You might want to try a screen protector like this one...
    Amazon.com: Lexerd - Garmin Edge 800 TrueVue Anti-Glare GPS Screen Protector (Dual Pack Bundle): GPS & Navigation

I believe there is a note in the manual that warns against looking at the screen while riding though... Keep your eyes on the trail!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .