Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Rider
    Reputation: herrhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    209

    Garmin 800 with N.A. City or without?

    Can someone please tell me what exactly is the "built in basemap" that this model has. From what I gather, it's not the same as the the base map that I have on our car model (City Nav North America NT). Is the "base map" just the roads, and what you get with the City Nav is all the buisness locations...or am I missing something.

    I defintley want to get basemapping for road rides, but was unsure if I could get mapping else were (other than thru Garmin) at a lower price (or even free)?
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

  2. #2
    Rider
    Reputation: herrhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    209
    Also, why do they charge an extra $200 for the bundle when the bundle itself is only worth $168 (most places - $45 for the chest strap, $80 for the map, and $43 for the cadence) . What am I missing?
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    525
    I have an 800, and the Base Map is very "basic". It is NOT good for city navigation or off road, and yet none of this matters to me since you can easily download good TOPO maps for free (I did) that should meet or exceed your needs. I find for city riding, I really do not need a map anyway, and the TOPO maps I downloaded give me basic City navigation capability too. No need to pay for City Nav map IMHO.

  4. #4
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,424

    Because they can

    Quote Originally Posted by herrhaus View Post
    Also, why do they charge an extra $200 for the bundle when the bundle itself is only worth $168 (most places - $45 for the chest strap, $80 for the map, and $43 for the cadence) . What am I missing?
    They can charge whatever they want. And as long as people will pay it why go lower?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    64

    Where can I find free maps?

    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I have an 800, and the Base Map is very "basic". It is NOT good for city navigation or off road, and yet none of this matters to me since you can easily download good TOPO maps for free (I did) that should meet or exceed your needs. I find for city riding, I really do not need a map anyway, and the TOPO maps I downloaded give me basic City navigation capability too. No need to pay for City Nav map IMHO.
    Would you mind posting links to some of those free maps? I just got a Garmn edge 800.Thx.

  6. #6
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,424

    Free maps

    Quote Originally Posted by MonmouthRider View Post
    Would you mind posting links to some of those free maps? I just got a Garmn edge 800.Thx.
    Free maps.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by MonmouthRider View Post
    Would you mind posting links to some of those free maps? I just got a Garmn edge 800.Thx.
    Wherewolf and Nate were excellent sources for me when I too had questions. Looks like he sent you the links. Enjoy your 800!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •