Biker Boater Boarder

Garmin 800 Memory Card Max GB card

Before buying a new card for my 800....does anyone know if it has a max gigabite card it will except? Historically Garmin has not allowed you too big of a GB card. Was thinking about getting a 32 gb card for my 800 OR is that way too big? I want to load all Moab trails, Fruita trails, a few around my home and all the ride data for a season of riding.

Im open for suggestions
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

Biker Boater Boarder
    Alright....i guess im gonna buy a 32 gb then
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    You'll be fine. I run a 32GB card in mine.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

Biker Boater Boarder
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    You'll be fine. I run a 32GB card in mine.
    Is your card a SD-"HC" or SDSD? I have search the web high and low and no answer.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

mtbr member
    Sorry I missed your question. I replied to your PM though, but here is my answer just in case anyone else is searching for the same thing.

My card is a microSDHC 32GB card. The link to the one I am using is below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+...card&cp=1&lp=8
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    On a side note, it isn't necessary to have a card that large. I probably only have 3 or 4 Gb used, and that is with a folder holding all of my custom maps. I switch out the custom map with the one in the proper custom map folder, depending on where I plan to ride. Garmin limits the number of custom maps that can be in the folder at one time, thus the need to swap them out.

The downside is that if I forget to swap them, I am out of luck, since I do it while connected to the computer.

That just made me wonder, could I place the card in my Samsung Galaxy S3 and use the file browser function to do swap maps when out on the trail?
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have an 8 gb in mine, but what would you need a bigger one for??

The biggest OSM file that I found was 3.6 gb IIRC. That covers most of the US as best I can tell.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I have an 8 gb in mine, but what would you need a bigger one for??

The biggest OSM file that I found was 3.6 gb IIRC. That covers most of the US as best I can tell.
    I don't even have a card in my Oregon 450 (850MB onboard storage, IIRC). I load at least a state's worth of topos on it, and can fit a fair bit of satellite imagery without having any memory problems so I haven't felt the need to put more memory in it.