mtbr member

New question here. Garmin 705 and Topo maps on a MAC?

Anyone know of a MAC Based Topo map product that Works with the Edge 705? i have Mac GPS Pro and Nat Geo State TOPO Series and NEITHER are compatible with THIS Garmin model (at least not at this time) .....thanks!

Hack Racer
    You can use Garmin's Topo maps. The topo software that comes with the maps is PC only. Garmin released their new software that converts the maps to Mac using this program. "MapConverter"

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3898

another interesting Garmin made MAC product is BobCat
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3885

Personally I use the windows version on my Mac by using Boot Camp and installing windows XP on to a new partition. The first couple of versions of Garmin's Training center for the Mac sucked and lacked features that the PC version had. Ever since then I still use the PC version since all the data is on that already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    You can use Garmin's Topo maps. The topo software that comes with the maps is PC only. Garmin released their new software that converts the maps to Mac using this program. "MapConverter"

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3898

another interesting Garmin made MAC product is BobCat
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3885

Personally I use the windows version on my Mac by using Boot Camp and installing windows XP on to a new partition. The first couple of versions of Garmin's Training center for the Mac sucked and lacked features that the PC version had. Ever since then I still use the PC version since all the data is on that already.

THANKS for all the great info. So please Tell me, Once Installed and CONVERTED, do Garmin's TOPO Map Products allow you to Download your tracks and Waypoint s from a Garmin GPS UNIT and actually View them on the PC and does it build Elevation Profiles and such too?

Hack Racer
    errr... um... I don't know exactly. I haven't played around with it too much. I have an edge 305 and all this fancy stuff is kinda useless for the 305. I'll report back in a weeks time. I ordered a 705. Hopefully I get one that works. All my GPS stuff is handled on the PC side of the Mac. Just because I started using their training center over there. I didn't want to isntall things twice. I"ll give the stuff I linked to a go when I get the 705.

mtbr member
    errr... um... I don't know exactly. I haven't played around with it too much. I have an edge 305 and all this fancy stuff is kinda useless for the 305. I'll report back in a weeks time. I ordered a 705. Hopefully I get one that works. All my GPS stuff is handled on the PC side of the Mac. Just because I started using their training center over there. I didn't want to isntall things twice. I"ll give the stuff I linked to a go when I get the 705.

gotcha, OK thanks! ....just curious, does Your 305 work with the Garmin TOPO? ....have you done any mapping with Your 305 using the Garmin TOPO map products?
    Last edited by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE; 05-09-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE
    gotcha, OK thanks! ....just curious, does Your 305 work with the Garmin TOPO? ....have you done any mapping with You 305 using the Garmin TOPO map products?
    I can overlay my track or course onto a Topo Map using Garmin's software. It is kinda a moot point though. Because sitting at home infront of my computer I don't need to know where I'm. I know exactly where I'm. Out in the woods when you've passed the same beaver dam 7 times trying to find your way back to your car 40 kms out is when I want my GPS. Ofcourse the edge 305 has the function of "taking me back to the start" function if you really need it.

mtbr member
    I can overlay my track or course onto a Topo Map using Garmin's software. It is kinda a moot point though. Because sitting at home infront of my computer I don't need to know where I'm. I know exactly where I'm. Out in the woods when you've passed the same beaver dam 7 times trying to find your way back to your car 40 kms out is when I want my GPS. Ofcourse the edge 305 has the function of "taking me back to the start" function if you really need it.

Understood, personally i do like to View and print maps at home and also like to see the Elevation profiles. My Nat Geo Topo is a Great Mapping software and did all that, sadly NOT compatible with the 605 or 705.